or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Darren's Detailing Database

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
FakeConcern   
Fri Jul 06 2012, 03:15pm
Member No: #24127
As Darren has offered to answer detailing questions - Click Here - & I have some to ask, I have started this thread on his behalf! Think he might be on holiday at the moment though so I will have to wait for his answers! Hope it's not too long though as i intend to help daughter No. 1 with her Clio this weekend!

1st question; how do you get the paint clean around the badges without taking them off. Inside the "o" on my Citroen (& on the girls Clio badges) badge is terrible. Small brushes are either too stiff & I think they will scratch or too soft & don't work?
Ham   
Fri Jul 06 2012, 03:28pm

Member No: #69
you can buy detailing pads which are like cotton buds, which i suppose you can use cotton buds to get the polish and wax out of the nooks and crannies.
1 User said Thank You to Ham for this Post :
 FakeConcern (06 Jul 2012 : 15:33)
FakeConcern   
Fri Jul 06 2012, 03:33pm
Ham wrote ...

you can buy detailing pads which are like cotton buds, which i suppose you can use cotton buds to get the polish and wax out of the nooks and crannies.

You didn't even give Darren a chance to answer!
Cotton buds? Makes sense, easy when you know, will try this at the weekend, thanks!
wozza   
Fri Jul 06 2012, 04:44pm

Member No: #2
Might be worth checking out the detailing world forum.
Commodore   
Fri Jul 06 2012, 05:49pm
Member No: #21107
Yep, I'm a regular on Detailing World - very good UK forum for car cleaning guidance.

As for cleaning in and around the badges, you need a soft brush like this one (which I use): - Click Here -
and some Autosmart G101 all purpose cleaner, diluted to 1:30. Let it dwell for a few mins, agitate with the brush, then pressure wash off. Will look like badging is brand new.
1 User said Thank You to Commodore for this Post :
 FakeConcern (07 Jul 2012 : 02:37)
FakeConcern   
Sat Jul 07 2012, 02:39am
Commodore wrote ...

Yep, I'm a regular on Detailing World - very good UK forum for car cleaning guidance.

As for cleaning in and around the badges, you need a soft brush like this one (which I use): - Click Here -
and some Autosmart G101 all purpose cleaner, diluted to 1:30. Let it dwell for a few mins, agitate with the brush, then pressure wash off. Will look like badging is brand new.

May have to get one of those, if the girls keep up with this cleaning (not for me, you understand). I have joined Detailing world, but didn't find it easy to navigate around, may have to play on it a bit more.
C4Darren   
Mon Jul 16 2012, 08:44am
Member No: #13754
And I'm back from hols!

I use a combination of a brush set that look like the one Chris linked or a wee box of Q-tips soaked in either your suds from bucket or a degreaser of sort. I also have a bottle of Turtle Wax insect/tar/sap remover that sprays on like sun lotion... just leave that on to steep for a few mins.

Take a trip to a pound shop, I've got quite literally a shop carrier bag full of microfibre cloths for removing polish and wax, can also get applicator pads. I prefer the foam ones as they're easier to rinse out.

Also, immediately bin all your sponges, I don't care if they're new... they trap dirt and keep them there. I personally use lambswool mitts as the dirt either isn't caught as much or if it is, due to the shaggy hairs its kept to the back.
FakeConcern   
Mon Jul 16 2012, 11:41am
Glad you're back (but also pleased you had a good time-still hanging? Ha!)
Thanks for the advice so far, hope you don't mind me starting this thread for you!
Started already with some of the things you have said. For Christmas, I got the girls a detailing kit with clay, micro cloths, wash mitts etc. They complained the mitts left bits on the black plastic trim (like around the mirrors)Only just had a chance to do one of their cars so far due to weather, hoping to do the other soon.
I still have sponge & chamois for my car at the moment, but will get a mitt. What replaces the chamois?
Another quick question-what can I use to improve the appearance of the inlet manifold? I don't mean to get a mirror finish, but it looks yuck, being rough cast & dirty/corroded. I'm sure other people will like to get advice like this as well.
wozza   
Mon Jul 16 2012, 12:51pm

Inlet manifold you can't do much for due to the way it is. You ideally would need to sand it and then try and polish it a bit. Otherwise just keep it clean.

Wash mitt, and drying towels.

Wash mitt
- Click Here -

Drying towel, get a couple and pat the car dry with them.
- Click Here -

Also try the 2 bucket method when washing the car if you do not already, worth investing into the grit guards as well. Especially on a black car as they show any paint imperfections so much more than many other colours. Why older black cars often looks grey when they are covered in so many minor scratches due to bad washing.
C4Darren   
Mon Jul 16 2012, 07:35pm
Member No: #13754
[quote]
Glad you're back (but also pleased you had a good time-still hanging? Ha!)
[quote]

Oh yes, my liver received more abuse than George Best on a bad day

FakeConcern wrote ...

What replaces the chamois?

I don't use them no more, the way I "dry" my car is just to rinse from the top down and then I personally use a quick detailer/quick wax spray and microfibres to dry off the water with. On a recently waxed car it's no biggie. I just find it gives it a teeny bit more shine, too.

But yes, two-bucket method is good to use, helps minimise scratches put back on the car. A nice good blast from a pressure washer before even touching it with a cleaning object or even better, like a pre-cleaner like the stuff Dodo Juice have is always good too.
lincsflier   
Thu Aug 16 2012, 02:36am
Thanks for the tips so far. Just getting a detailing kit together for our new C4GP and wondered what you would class as an essentials kit if you know what I mean.

Would you suggest hand or machine polishing etc. got the grit guard and bucket for £7 .

Cheers
David
FakeConcern   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 01:56pm
I tried using a bug cleaner today. Not impressed, to be honest leaving it after soaking in water was better than this stuff (carplan Bugblitz) which did nothing. Also have tried cleaning around the (Renault) badge by spraying with either the bug cleaner or quick detailer & then using a brush. Again, not too good, on another car (Clio as well) I prised the badge off to clean behind it, but it didn't really want to know. A screw driver & a cloth did the job, but on the other car it put up too much resistance & I chickened out before I broke the badge or dented the tailgate! On the plus side we have now clayed 2 cars then used Super Resin Polish followed by Extra Gloss Protection with excellent results. I can't wait to do mine!
wozza   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 02:42pm

lincsflier wrote ...

Thanks for the tips so far. Just getting a detailing kit together for our new C4GP and wondered what you would class as an essentials kit if you know what I mean.

Would you suggest hand or machine polishing etc. got the grit guard and bucket for £7 .

Cheers
David

Cheap machine polishers do very little. To be honest sometimes takes longer to buff with one of those than doing it by hand.

A decent polisher and the correct pads, compounds etc is expensive and not something to be used for every detail. So have to work out if it is really worth having.
PentlandC4   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 03:45pm
Member No: #13613
FakeConcern wrote ...

Also have tried cleaning around the (Renault) badge by spraying with either the bug cleaner or quick detailer & then using a brush.

I've used AutoGlym Engine & Machine Cleaner to clean a lot of the hard-to-reach grubby bits on the C4, agitating it with a very soft paint brush.
FakeConcern   
Tue Aug 28 2012, 04:00am
PentlandC4 wrote ...

FakeConcern wrote ...

Also have tried cleaning around the (Renault) badge by spraying with either the bug cleaner or quick detailer & then using a brush.

I've used AutoGlym Engine & Machine Cleaner to clean a lot of the hard-to-reach grubby bits on the C4, agitating it with a very soft paint brush.

Thanks PentlandC4, I'll have to get some next time I'm in Halfrauds & give it a go.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member