or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

Fuel Gauge Accuracy

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
BigJohnD   
Thu Nov 01 2007, 04:04pm

Member No: #82
I went for it this week, to see how accurate the fuel gauge is.

I can confirm that when the range is less than 12 miles/20Km the display shows "---"

After a couple more miles, I bottled out and filled up, intrigued to find out how much I could get in.

59 litres! Only 1 left, or about 10 miles. That is one accurate gauge!

This car never ceases to amaze me.
Welshguy   
Thu Nov 01 2007, 04:18pm
Member No: #77
I find the fuel gauge in my 1.4 pretty accurate, although it does tend to show higer than expected fuel use when first filled up, then slowing down and "pausing" when more miles are covered.

I once had the fuel gauge show "--" ...I even drove an extra 2 miles past an expensive station to get to a cheaper supermarket station!
Phil   
Fri Nov 02 2007, 04:22am

Member No: #406
It's funny, I broke down on the way home when I picked my C4 up. The gauge read 24 miles to go, but obviously not!

Anyway I did a software update to the BSI which hopefully cured it, but needless to say I won't be testing it in a hurry!
BigJohnD   
Fri Nov 02 2007, 06:23pm

Phil wrote ...
but needless to say I won't be testing it in a hurry!

I have to say that once the range and trip computer showed ---- I did get stressed.

But previously the amount of fuel left had been very accurate, so on this occasion I trusted it to the limit.
hertsnminds   
Sat Nov 03 2007, 12:38pm
Member No: #1276
Have to say I used to let the Pluriel gauge go to -- more often than not but that had fewer divisions and would go from 30 miles to -- if you were driving harder e.g. up hill or at motorway speeds. That is the other thing that makes a difference, the type of driving.

If your last 50 miles before a fill up were giving you a good MPG reading then the car will give you a very high estimated milage on the full tank. If they were low MPG miles you will not get such a good reading after the fill up.
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Nov 03 2007, 01:02pm

Member No: #1
hertsnminds wrote ...

If your last 50 miles before a fill up were giving you a good MPG reading then the car will give you a very high estimated milage on the full tank. If they were low MPG miles you will not get such a good reading after the fill up.

Think it's less than that - around about every 10-11 miles I seem to remember from somewhere
reerdo   
Sun Nov 25 2007, 01:14pm
BigJohnD you have made me a very happy man because I drive down to Spain about twice a year (the missus and I own a place out there) and I have been caught out a couple of times with the Chrysler Neon's fuel gauge getting "stuck" at 1/4 tank and then suddenly dropping into the red in the space of a minute !! So I was hoping the C4's fuel gauge was a bit more accurate.

The combined mpg for the 1.6 HDi with EGS is 62.8 in the C4 brochure. Is this a honest figure by Citroen or are they being a bit 'optimistic'?
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Nov 25 2007, 01:18pm

Member No: #1
Very optimistic unless you cruise at 50mph on an empty test track and never brake I would think

You should in general driving expect low 50's mpg in reality (which is still good)
reerdo   
Sun Nov 25 2007, 01:27pm
Very good compared to the shocking mpg I get from the Neon RT. Oh well I guess thats American cars for you.
BigJohnD   
Sun Nov 25 2007, 05:12pm

reerdo wrote ...

BigJohnD you have made me a very happy man because I drive down to Spain about twice a year

The combined mpg for the 1.6 HDi with EGS is 62.8 in the C4 brochure. Is this a honest figure by Citroen or are they being a bit 'optimistic'?

As Dave says, low 50s is to be expected. and certainly achievable if you're driving straight to Spain along motorways and autoroutes, and can take it steady at around 70mph/125Kph, avoiding heavy acceleration and braking, even if fully loaded.

I don't know if the EGS costs a couple or mpg or not, probably not if in top gear for a couple of hours at a time.
wozza   
Sun Nov 25 2007, 07:30pm

Member No: #2
Its amazing how much MPG increases when you stick to 60ish mph.

If I keep to my usually 70 + or -...a little

I get sub 30 mpg on the motorway. Other day sticking to around 60mph i managed a rather nice 43mpg on a 50 mile trip. Quite impressive for a petrol engine. actually better than the book figures. Was a somewhat downhill motorway most of the way though.

I also think it is the first time the car has seen over 33mpg in the time I have owned it. Although does seem to be getting increasingly better on fuel as time goes on.
delands   
Fri Nov 28 2008, 09:50am
Member No: #6334
Welshguy wrote ...

I find the fuel gauge in my 1.4 pretty accurate, although it does tend to show higer than expected fuel use when first filled up, then slowing down and "pausing" when more miles are covered.

I once had the fuel gauge show "--" ...I even drove an extra 2 miles past an expensive station to get to a cheaper supermarket station!

I know it's in the past, but I am a new member... surely that's not a good thing to try in a diesel?
NWVT   
Fri Nov 28 2008, 10:46am
no basically its gone beneath where the sensor can read so say it might go 30 miles left then-- you know you have appropriately 30 miles left.
firebee   
Fri Nov 28 2008, 06:02pm
Member No: #4311
If you drive at 56mph on motorway with little braking you can expect over 80mpg average over a journey lasting over an hour. I do it regularly.

But if you want to get where you're going this year it is easy to stay in the low 50s as has been said already even when accelerating reasonably quickly and driving at 70ish.
Wintermute   
Sat Nov 29 2008, 08:02am
I just noticed, for some reason, that the "remaining range" displayed on the speedo binnacle is always one mile less than the range displayed on the multi-function screen, even after re-setting the trip computer. Anyone else have that problem?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member