or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

C4GP Front heater/blower fan stopped working

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
darrylb   
Mon Jun 11 2012, 03:01pm
Member No: #24721
Hi there,

I have a 2008 C4 Grand Picasso 1.8 EGR Exclusive. Today with some passengers in the car in the rain, the windscreen started to mist up, so I pressed the MAX button to demist it and rather than the fan going on to full speed, nothing happened at all. The air continues to blow (and is affected by the fan speed selection) in the middle row.

This model has the split aircon with the digital controls in the front on the driver's and passenger side and the rotary controls in the rear.

I'll start by checking all of the fuses, but the manual doesn't list one for the front fan (but I see three for the air con system, so I'll check them all). This post is to see if anyone can offer any tips or advice on the subject. I expect I'll need to get to the fan to check for voltages on it, but I've never had anything apart on this car (only owned it a few months) so I don't know where everything is yet.

I'm likely to pay up and become a Premier member, but haven't yet - do any of the guides in the downloads section cover things like getting the controls out of the dashboard? I had dashboards and parts out of other cars, but this is my first Citroen - If it's anything like the others I've had there are lots of little clips that will trick the inexperienced fixer into snapping off and having to replace with new parts.

Thanks in advance,
Darryl
darrylb   
Mon Jun 11 2012, 03:55pm
Ok - All the fuses are fine. I'll stick my ElmScan/Laptop Engine Check Pro software on it tomorrow and see if it can read the Air Con ECU fault codes.
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 01:09am

Member No: #1
Could be a failed resistor on the control panel itself
darrylb   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 06:29am
Cheers for that. I did read about this resistor in another thread. I'd like diagnose the fault rather than just start swapping things over. I'll see if I can find any clues from the Citroen service website next. A wiring diagram would be useful. Then I can work out which bits haven't got power that should have.
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 07:52am

Wiring diagrams cost money and not easy to get hold of.

We have some: - Click Here -

But not the GP Air Con one (if it even exists) but will see what I can find later
darrylb   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 08:12am
Wow. I appreciate your help, thanks for that link. I was hoping that the info might be on the Citroen service website. I appreciate that information costs money. I also know how much dealers are happy to charge to replace parts that don't need replacing!
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 10:03am

OK Air Con Control wiring diagrams are now uploaded: - Click Here -

How to read wiring diagrams: - Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 darrylb (12 Jun 2012 : 18:20)
jollyroger   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 03:06pm
First check that the L&R windscreen gutter drains are not blocked.

If they are the air con intake fills up with water and goes haywire, making strange noises, water in the foot well, sloshing noises when turning corners and steamed up windows.

This is what you do... Jack up the car as if to remove the front wheel, stop jacking when the wheel is about to leave the ground, now remove just 3 or 4 of the press studs the hold the rear of the wing liner in place.

Starting from the door pillar pull the rear of the liner away you should then be able to get your hand behind and find a (wet) square rubber tube with a trap door flap... now pull it away from the body and you will get a deluge of water and mud!

Remove the spout and give it a good wash, and then poor some water down the gutter until it runs clean from the square wing hole.

Once clear push the rubber spout back in the body sq drain hole (remember spout towards the engine) Before you re-fit the liner&press studs, check for wet mud in the bottom of the sill (before it rots the bodywork!)

Now do the same on the passenger side ...Now you know what to do in the future, you can get a finger into the spout flap without removing the liner ...hope this helps ...

Cheers Jolly roger ( PS Garages have no idea of this problem!)

9 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 darrylb (12 Jun 2012 : 18:20) , markfree (22 Jun 2012 : 03:57) , cathant (29 Sep 2012 : 04:45) , paragp (30 Sep 2015 : 07:59) , CHUNKIMUNKI (14 Jan 2016 : 10:13) , bubblehead (30 Nov 2016 : 14:50) , NikN (07 Jan 2017 : 06:54) , Access (21 Mar 2019 : 17:36) , Hurr1990 (22 Dec 2019 : 15:28)
darrylb   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 06:16pm
I think you may be on to something. I heard the sloshing after heavy rain a few weeks ago and again this morning. I shall jack her up tomorrow and unblock her. The sloshing disappeared after a couple of minutes driving so I assumed that the water had run out wherever it was supposed to.

Thanks a lot for this advice. I'll report back as soon as I've tried it.
darrylb   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 06:19pm
Thanks again. I couldn't resist the urge to look, so I've just been out and done it in the dark! The driver's side was a bit sludgy, but no deluge when I pulled it out. The passenger's side was another matter - a small flood on the drive when I removed the trap door.

I've ran the car up a couple of times and there is still no fan. Is it likely to reset itself after a proper run (it might still be soaking wet inside and tripping a sensor) or do you think I'll need to get something reset by a dealer?

Thanks again.
jollyroger   
Wed Jun 13 2012, 03:20am
If the excess water cannot get out, it fills up the air-con unit the sloshing noise is water pouring into the air-con drain tube/overflow Tray? That then fills up the foot-well !...my air-con controls started working after a few day of drying out...I suppose you could try putting on the heater full blast/max temp to see if that accelerates the drying process ?

I guess the air-con box should expect some water ingress, as its meant to remove moisture from the atmosphere when its cooling...If you look under the car (with cooling on) you should see water dripping from this pipe

So, I guess IF the gutter drains had been blocked, the muck would have been trying to get through this small bore drain pipe (thats the only blockage problem the garage seems to know about ?)I guess if you live in a rural area you will get more vegetation in the gutter/air intake so it worth checking at regular intervals....

And perhaps look at some better method to hold the liner in place perhaps fat s/s screws as those plastic press studs can break...
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 CHUNKIMUNKI (14 Jan 2016 : 09:58)
darrylb   
Wed Jun 13 2012, 05:11am
I am very pleased to say that it started working after about 5 minutes of driving this morning. I am extremely pleased and owe you a drink.
jollyroger   
Wed Jun 13 2012, 05:31am
Glad to hear that fixed it.. A car wash will fill up the gutter in no time at all... I bet with all this rain a lot more folk will be getting wet feet...perhaps they can let the forum know?

I will post some pics of the job being done..Why do garages treat us like idiots for something that's so bleeding obvious

It appears now, Iv got the overnight deflating rear suspension problem and 5 mph warning? that's technology for you!
Cheers..69 year old(not so now) Jollyroger

markfree   
Fri Jun 22 2012, 04:03am
Member No: #13740
Thanks to jollyroger for the fix. My driver's foot well was filled with about 3cm of water Thursday morning. The drivers side drain was complete clogged with rotting leaves.
jollyroger   
Fri Jun 22 2012, 02:28pm
Hi Mark... glad to hear its fixed, give it a couple of days for the electrics to dry out before the the aircon returns to normal as the sensors etc have been under water.

Been thinking about extending the nozzels down the wheel arches and out the bottom with plastic aquarium pipe to keep the muck out of the wheel arches, and enable a curtain rod to be poked up for regular cleaning... As I'm sure it will happen every year!

With all this rain, there must be many other owners suffering this problem, any other owners comments ?

Cheers jollyroger
3 User said Thank You to for this Post :
  (24 Jun 2012 : 14:25) , dfgp2011 (02 Jul 2013 : 06:46) , niks (24 Oct 2013 : 05:10)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member