or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Problems and issues

Brand new C4 has arrived :)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
arsenije   
Tue Jun 05 2012, 04:22pm
Member No: #8233
Got the car few days ago... it's a diesel 1.6 112 ps (all my previous cars were petrol)....smooth, economic...very happy for first 800km. If it will continue like this period im guessing i will be one happy owner!

But noticed when a/c (cooling mode if i may say) is on, got some strange noise (seems like loud resonance...like a turbo whine but it's not a turbo). My suspicion is that something is not tightened enough.

Anyway, initial 1000 miles check will be soon and will ask dealership to check it out but im just interested has anyone had similar issue?

Other than that, car is almost perfect and in babylon rouge, very well equiped for something over 15000e.
dino77saurus   
Wed Jun 06 2012, 08:41am
Member No: #23968
Hi arsenije
I got the same engine as you and know what you're talking about. I actually just started noticing the sound recently because I only started usig AC on my car a month ago...bought it 2 months ago. It is a weird sound but then it's not always happening while AC on. I believe it happens only while the engine is still cold and needs to kick in some extra power for AC system. I've read about this "issue" somewhere else but usually these kind of problems are met at the dealerships with responses like "it's meant to be that way" or "we couldn't find anything wrong with it".
I do think though that this is not a problem but just a small Citroen annoyance and you'll get used to this quickly and won't mind it after a few more hundred kilometers
arsenije   
Mon Jun 11 2012, 02:54pm
Just one more question (since it's my first ever diesel)...is the engine a bit noisy when cold....got that typical rattling on low revs like old diesels...not to much but still takes time to run smoother. Im i just unexperinced with diesel....or bad fuel (common issue here), injectors issue?

Just to add, car was incredibly quiet for 500km then started to be a bit noisy...sometimes that damn knocking noise when accelerating and ocassional knock when revs going down between 2000 and 1500 revs with foot of the accelerator pedal (that seems not coming from engine moving parts...might be injector?!)
Anyway... im looking just for opinion...few more days and car is going on first inspection.
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 01:08am

Member No: #1
Loose heat shield on the turbo or exhaust causing the rattling noise?
arsenije   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 05:47pm
I don't think so Dave...yesterday and today also noticed ocassional hesitation when trying to accelerate (doesnt matter is it gently or hard press) and after that hesitation short "bag of nails" sound coming from the engine.
Im only worried because the car was incredibly quiet approx 500km and now became way more noisy.
However..after petrol model....economy is just stunning.
kipper   
Wed Jun 13 2012, 08:37am
My diesel engine used to sound more rattly when the weather was cold and wet (just like the UK at the moment). Found the best cure was to turn the radio up loud! No such problems with my new petrol Kia!!!
arsenije   
Wed Jun 20 2012, 01:16pm
Quick update...my problems were related with fuel. It was not as it supposed to be (euro 5 standard). Unfortunately, in my country quality of fuel is but there are some exceptions. Found one not far away and car is again smooth and quiet.

Btw, whats the purpose of looks like radiator with some kind of pipe connected under the car (passenger side, LHD). As i said, first ever diesel for me.

I'm veeeeery satisfied with the car so far but dissapointed with one minor thing.

They didnt solved the hooks (don't know any better word) where you lock rear seats as they squeak from time to time. Just a pice of some rubber will do the trick. At least thats how i solved it on my previous c4.

But to be honest, i think (although this one isn't totaly citroen-ish) we have serious player among hatches or so called golf-class.

PS: i miss the old steering wheel...really much easier then conventional.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jun 20 2012, 01:24pm

Member No: #1
The 'radiator' is a cooler for the fuel system on return to the tank from the high pressure injection system
arsenije   
Wed Jun 20 2012, 01:30pm
C6Dave...i should have guess who will give prompt answer. There are no words to say thank You enough.
Anyway, my inital thought was the same, but there are no stupid questions i believe.
arsenije   
Wed Jul 25 2012, 05:25am
Quick update..4500 km so far without problem. Got used to that bit noisy sound with a/c on (dealership explained that's normal, the way a/c is engages causes that noise). Overall, satisfy but...noticed lately, since the temps dropped here, in the morning that car is bit jerky, when i want to accelerate (2nd and 3rd gear when i really feel it) it is kind of drop in power, car jumps a bit and then accelerate normally. Is it normal also that diesel is noisy when cold, especially when press accelerator pedal(not hard, normal press) and can hear like misfiring.
Everything mentioned vanishes as the car is driven approx 20 mins.
Maybe i'm just picky but want to hear opinion from members.
BigJohnD   
Wed Jul 25 2012, 06:14am

Member No: #82
Yes, diesels rattle more when the engine's cold.
dino77saurus   
Wed Jul 25 2012, 08:52am
arsenije wrote ...

Quick update..4500 km so far without problem. Got used to that bit noisy sound with a/c on (dealership explained that's normal, the way a/c is engages causes that noise). Overall, satisfy but...noticed lately, since the temps dropped here, in the morning that car is bit jerky, when i want to accelerate (2nd and 3rd gear when i really feel it) it is kind of drop in power, car jumps a bit and then accelerate normally. Is it normal also that diesel is noisy when cold, especially when press accelerator pedal(not hard, normal press) and can hear like misfiring.
Everything mentioned vanishes as the car is driven approx 20 mins.
Maybe i'm just picky but want to hear opinion from members.

I've been driving my first diesel since this April and it is true that diesels are more sensitive to cold weather than petrols. If I were you I'd try to run 2 tanks of high quality fuel through it, though, and see if that helps. Based on what you said about fuel in your country, I wouldn't be surprised that cold weather+sucky fuel does this to your car.

I tried the new stuff from shell a month ago (shell v-power nitro+) and the engine was suddenly like a toy I always dreamt of not that it was misbehaving before but i could definitely feel the difference. I'm now back on 95 fuelsave from shell and even though the weather is still above 25, the cold starts and a first few minutes of driving do feel like a step down. true that nitro+ is supposed to add some boost to your car and it does so doesn't make your engine better, but I bought mine with 22k on the clock and if the guys before me fed it only low to med-quality stuff, injectors would need some cleaning by now.
BigJohnD   
Wed Jul 25 2012, 09:08am

If Shell V-power makes such a difference, then your regular diesel must be poor.

I've tried Total Excellium and Shell V-power and not noticed any significant improvements in starting, accelerating or fuel consumption over regular diesel to make it worthwhile using long term.

However, where you live, it may well be worth using these premium brands all the time.
dino77saurus   
Wed Jul 25 2012, 09:38am
BigJohnD wrote ...

If Shell V-power makes such a difference, then your regular diesel must be poor.

I've tried Total Excellium and Shell V-power and not noticed any significant improvements in starting, accelerating or fuel consumption over regular diesel to make it worthwhile using long term.

However, where you live, it may well be worth using these premium brands all the time.

hard to say, BigJohn...the one im talking about is NEW v-power "nitro+ diesel" the article on the web from mid-june said slovakia is one of the first countries to introduce this new brand so it may not be in england yet. the fact is also that before putting this new one in, i spent 10days in croatia filling up omv maxxmotion diesel. not sure what quality is their diesel. may have been only a momentary feeling, switching from croatian diesel to the new stuff

i do have a feeling though the fuel here and in england even of the same grade, IS different.
btw, congrats on passing 8000 posts here...i'd need two lifetimes for that ..still trailing c6 dave by 5k though
BigJohnD   
Wed Jul 25 2012, 11:03am

I'm suspicious of wonder fuels and immediately think snake oil. Fuel today is very different from that of say 50 years ago, but then cars and combustion are very different, so it's more a case of horses for courses than a quantum leap.

Top Gear in the Philippines has a glowing report distinctly lacking in any solid facts here: - Click Here -

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member