or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Body Styling Spoilers and wheels

My C4 Coupe VTR+

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
RichardM   
Sun Oct 07 2012, 03:03pm
Member No: #25460
Hopefully very soon I plan to be getting some coilovers BUT I've been looking around and I'm not sure which ones are best. I've been looking at blistein b14's and also weitec gt coilovers. Can any tell me some information on them e.g quality, ride ect... Also one thing I am worried about is I'm not sure if the blistein's will go low enough for my liking.

Are either of these coilovers good buys? I will also get 25mm h&r hub centric spacers too .
Advice and opinions would be much appreciated cheers.
NiteSite   
Sun Oct 07 2012, 07:36pm
Member No: #293
My VTS on Bilstein B14s, 25mm H&R spacers & 2011 C4 Exclusive model 17's.
10mm left to go down on front and between 5-10mm on rear.

There are some pics of it in my thread in the mods section with the standard Resolfen wheels too.

As far as I know, Bilstein's come with a lifetime warranty whilst most other brands only have a 2-3 year warranty. The ride is a lot firmer, but not uncomfortable. And it sticks to the road like glue.
RichardM   
Mon Oct 08 2012, 12:15pm
Ok wicked. Thank you. The only worry I have is that mine is a vtr and the vrs is lower than the vtr as standard as far as I no and the last thing I want is for them not to go low enough.

The website I've been looking at say the:
Blistein's lower front: 45-55 rear: 30-50 , is this correct?
Whereas the weitect ones lower front: 35-75 rear: 30-65
More variable height.

Do you or anyone no anything about weitec gt coilovers?

Cheers
wozza   
Mon Oct 08 2012, 12:59pm

Member No: #2
The 45-55 isn't the range, that is what Bilstein recommend it is set to. Even at full height they are around 20mm lower than standard. Mine sits 60mm down on the Bilsteins which is on top of the 20mm the VTS is lower by already than the normal models. So it's 80mm down. It was lower but I had to raise it as I kept catching the front bumper, and destroyed the undertray. Also got stuck in a car park.

Going very low upsets handling and knocks out geometry in a big way. So they recommend the 45-55 for optimal handling while being lower.

45 being the better setting for handling to be honest. Low doesn't mean better when it comes to going round corners.

Weitec are basically KW, but cheaper versions. Good quality but don't think you need to go mega low. You will never be able to drive it anywhere due to the overhang on the front end. Not to mention if it gets mega low, it stops looking lowered and starts looking like the suspension has collapsed.

Mine on B14's with 18" Prorace 1.2's. Ignore the very photoshopped look, seems to be a trait with fastcars pictures.

And this is how compressed it gets during hard cornering.

RichardM   
Mon Oct 08 2012, 01:35pm
Oh I see. Extremely helpful . So they can go lower than 55mm if I wanted too? . And another question I've always wondered is adjusting the height. Is it a simple job and does it take special equipment?

Also your car looks very smart wozza. 👍
wozza   
Mon Oct 08 2012, 02:36pm

They can go to around 70mm, but you would struggle getting over a speed bump. I caught my exhaust a few times, Lee above has damaged his sump before.

Adjusting height is very easy. Jack the car up, wheels off, then just unlock the collars on the springs then turn them with the C spanners (supplied with the kits) until you get them to the height you want. Takes about 15 minutes to change the fronts, slightly longer for the rears as they are more awkward to get too.

They will need geometry aligning after adjusting though as it will change it.
RichardM   
Mon Oct 08 2012, 02:44pm
Ok thank you . Sounds very good . Cheers.
Gooner_Mike   
Mon Oct 08 2012, 04:41pm
Member No: #18986
Mine on JOM coilovers. Not really sure of ride height reduction but wouldn't want to go much lower at the front as it can catch sometimes!

RichardM   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 03:40pm
Helllo,

I've been absent for quite a while now, BUT im finnnaaally in a position to BUY!!!

Quick question is, are KW v1 inox coilovers worth the extra money over Blistein b14's? any real difference? and does anyone know anyhere in the south east (surrey area)where I could get them installed and set up? I dont mind travelling as long as its within reason, because im scratching my head a little to be honest...

thanks
wozza   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 04:30pm

The Bilstiens in theory should be better but the KW's may be slightly more comfortable.

The prices of the Bilstiens at some point just took a massive nose dive. Where as the KW's just got more expensive. As at one point the Bilstiens were £1100+ a set.
NiteSite   
Wed Jan 30 2013, 02:37pm

Plus Bilsteins have a lifetime guarantee I believe
RichardM   
Wed Jan 30 2013, 03:10pm
The only worry I have is, will they go low enough ! My car being a vtr+ not a vts it's quite high. What I'm going for is as little arch gap as possible. Will I be able to achieve this with blistein's? Or even kw's for that matter? Does anyone on here have kw's?

Cheers.
NiteSite   
Wed Jan 30 2013, 03:14pm
To be honest, I never understood the VTR/VTS suspension thing. I know the VTS is slightly lower on standard suspension, but surely, if you're completely removing the standard springs/struts, then that doesn't matter when comparing the ride height of either model with the same after market suspension.

What I'm getting at is that I would have thought any model would sit at the same height if you fit the same suspension kit, as you've removed the standard items, so they are irrelevant now.
RichardM   
Wed Jan 30 2013, 03:47pm
That is a very good point! I never even thought about it that way! I presumed by what people said, didn't think to be honest.
NiteSite   
Wed Jan 30 2013, 03:49pm
I was the same mate, then I thought about it properly earlier and was a bit baffed!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member