or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Interior and lights

DRL would you buy ?????

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
moose579   
Fri Apr 06 2012, 07:21am
Member No: #20866
Found these on ebay.

And they do look to be the best on there, as they look like the relay box comes with them (I have emailed them to make sure relay is supplied).

What do you all think as these are cheap /and not like the £69-149 prices I've seen

Has anyone installed cheaper makes? If so, are you happy with them?

Here is the link also - Click Here -

Sickpuppy   
Fri Apr 06 2012, 08:40am
They look quite good mate.
I fitted some of the cheaper ones (£15) and tbh they are rubbish.
Led's lasted about a month before they started to pop. Now still on car but disconnected as they look ridiculous with missing LEDs.

Kinda like the look of them above though :0)
moose579   
Fri Apr 06 2012, 10:48am
Member No: #20866
puppy please could you post a picture or a link to the ones you brought

just want to see which ones you fitted
Sickpuppy   
Fri Apr 06 2012, 11:09am
Loads of variations of them about but they seem pretty generic as cheap china copies go.
- Click Here -

Please don't buy them though!!!!
Sickpuppy   
Tue Apr 10 2012, 04:44am
Have you got these yet moose??
I'm on the verge of ordering a set .
I'd be grateful of any comments you have on them :0)
Commodore   
Tue Apr 10 2012, 06:56am
Member No: #21107
Why do you even need them? They are not a legal requirement in the UK on an older car, and on the newer ones where they are required, they are factory fitted?

Looks like a completely unnecessary retrofit that will likely only cause you problems in the longer term with wiring issues and Canbus faults.

Happy to be corrected if there is a practical use for them though.
Ivan_C4P   
Tue Apr 10 2012, 03:59pm
Member No: #16480
Commodore wrote ...

Why do you even need them? They are not a legal requirement in the UK on an older car, and on the newer ones where they are required, they are factory fitted?

Looks like a completely unnecessary retrofit that will likely only cause you problems in the longer term with wiring issues and Canbus faults.

Happy to be corrected if there is a practical use for them though.

I too think you need to be careful with retrofit. Will they dim when the main lights are turned on like the OEM ones? They may be considered too bright for night use otherwise.

BTW, the dimming of the OEM ones is done by quickly pulsing them on and off - if you look at them through a digital camera you can see the strobing effect!
iscom   
Tue Apr 10 2012, 04:23pm
Member No: #20936
As the name says DRL (Daylight Running Light) they are to a low power consumption light to use instead in stead of dipped head light during the day ( as recommended by most road safety organizations ) if fact they I think they are more safer than dipped head lights as well as saving on fuel cost.
I am in the processes of making fitting my own as shown in an earlier posting
PPP7   
Tue Apr 10 2012, 04:56pm
Member No: #135
If people cannot see a large lump of metal on 4 wheels travelling towards them, then they need glasses rather than every car needing DRL's.

Seriously though, cars with DRL's will probably be more visible to partially sighted pedestrians that can normally only make out if something is either in the way or not there at all, but what are the statistics for these people getting run over?

The old C4 can have DRL enabled via Proxia without the need for adding LED lighting.

It will be at least 30 years before you see nearly every car running DRL's as many people will be still running old cars without DRL's.
Sickpuppy   
Tue Apr 10 2012, 06:41pm
I just like the look lmao :0)
Commodore   
Wed Apr 11 2012, 10:17am
Member No: #21107
iscom wrote ...

As the name says DRL (Daylight Running Light) they are to a low power consumption light to use instead in stead of dipped head light during the day ( as recommended by most road safety organizations ) if fact they I think they are more safer than dipped head lights as well as saving on fuel cost.

I suspect the fuel saving would be negligible anyway, and once you sit down and do all the sums, probably wiped out by the cost of buying and retrofitting said DRLs, coupled with the additional (albeit minor) weight of them on the car.

Volvo never seemed to have any problems using dipped lights as DRLs.

Again - just don't see the point of retrofitting these - as has already been said, if people can't spot a tonne+ of growly car heading towards them, they've got hearing or sight issues that need correction, rather than said growly car needing a set of Christmas tree lights nailed to the front bumper.
C4Darren   
Thu Apr 12 2012, 05:47pm
Member No: #13754
The volvo look was a tad stupid tbh, all great in volvo land where there's 3 minutes of sunshine but the look of old yellowed headlights on UK roads was an eyesore.

Tbh, I'm 20 and a fairly alert driver and welcome DRL's.. if you just take a glance you can often mistake a moving car for a parked one. Big bright DRLS (the recently most annoying being the ones of the new Kia Sportage) immediately make me aware of the car there.

Also, Philips do a specific kit for "older" cars like ours; control box plugs into battery and sidelight wiring, replaces sidelights entirely as you have to (legally) fit dummy bulbs into the holders.
routemaster1   
Fri Apr 13 2012, 01:26am
Member No: #574
C4Darren wrote ...

Also, Philips do a specific kit for "older" cars like ours; control box plugs into battery and sidelight wiring, replaces sidelights entirely as you have to (legally) fit dummy bulbs into the holders.

This may explain why my C4GP has sidelight bulbs fitted but which have no function at all, although as far as I know they are not dummies.
C4Darren   
Fri Apr 13 2012, 09:28am
Member No: #13754
That's bingo the answer, because for some reason they assume sidelights + DRL's are overkill, haha.

Could be the software is just not allowing them to be used, too.
Sickpuppy   
Thu Apr 19 2012, 05:33pm
Well moose in answer to the first question.
I bought the ones you have linked to. They arrived today and so far I'm impressed.
Cast backs, e marked lens, proper loom, and appear to be an easy fit.
Only thing I've noticed is the opening where the cables enter the unit is sealed but not too well. A squidge of sealant will easily cure this.
Only question is longevity of the led's.
I am hopefully going to get them fitted this weekend and shall report back then.
:0)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member