or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

C4 Handbrake sticking on at caliper - any advice?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
hgee   
Sat Jan 21 2012, 12:16pm
Member No: #6146
Hi I have a hot rear disc as my caliper seems to be sticking on.

I tried to rewind the caliper to maybe free it up from any corrosion and stop it binding.

I bought the tool, and tried to rewind with no luck!

The caliper would not budge although I even locked molegrips to the caliper and another on the tool bar to give more leverage.It just would not move damn it!

I removed the brake reservoir lid as well.

Am I forgetting something?

Someone on here said that ABS may be stopping fluid being pumped backwards - is this right?

If someone has any ideas to move the piston I would be grateful.

I am beginning to suspect that the handbrake mechanism inside the caliper is not releasing when the handbrake is released as I noticed the wheel binding after I had lowered the handbrake.

Can someone tell me more about the caliper works when the handbrake cable is pulled and maybe how I can free up the binding?
thanks
gmerry   
Sat Jan 21 2012, 12:34pm
Member No: #11625
Replace the caliper (£75 exchange).

See one of my posts for what is involved.

Regards
G
barrie   
Sat Jan 21 2012, 01:06pm
If it's the driver's side ( GB ) you have to use a L/H tool, otherwise it won't move

Barrie
gmerry   
Tue Jan 24 2012, 06:34am
Member No: #11625
The internal seals will be shot/compromised by the excessive heat: get the caliper exchanged. Even if you free it up temporarily, the prolem will probably come back.

Regards
G
Arcy   
Tue Aug 06 2019, 04:58am
Member No: #54338
My N/S/R is binding, replaced the caliper with brand new Bosch unit and the rear brake still binds. I took it to a mechanic to have it checked just in case I had done something wrong, he said I had done everything ok and that it could be an ABS problem.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member