or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Towing :: C4 Towing, roof bars, bicycle carriers and roof boxes

Faulty Micro-Switch on 13 Pin Socket

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gmerry   
Sat Jan 21 2012, 08:16am
Member No: #11625
Hi, all. I plugged in the trailer electrics and tested the LH and RH indicators by removing the bulbs on the trailer lighting board. Car ( Canbus) did not recognise faulty/missing indicator bulbs because Towing ECU had not been activated.

I then actuated the Towing ECU. Checked towing electrics with bulbs in place, everything OK, removed indicator bulbs and car now knows there is a fault so double flashes like it should. I then replaced the indicator bulbs, turned off ignition and started again and guess what, car still thinks there is a fault. So I disconnected towing electrics, and started again and car still thinks there is a fault.

Left the car off for 15 minutes still same problem. Eventually checked BSI and discovered car still thinks trailer is connected. Must be a faulty micro-switch in the towing socket, checked, yes the micro-switch doesn't click properly.

Any idea where I can buy an aftermarket 13 pin Euro socket with the correct microswitch?

Regards
G
Ham   
Sat Jan 21 2012, 09:15am

Member No: #69
I didnt have the euro socket on mine, but the same problem.
I managed to free the switch by stripping the socket.
gmerry   
Fri Feb 03 2012, 04:13am
Ham, thanks for your reply.

Status is now that I have de-initialised the Towing ECU which means the indicator bulb detection circuit and rear fog lamp cut-out will no longer work if I am towing. The double flashing of the indicators has now been fixed and the car is back to "normal".

Before I next use the towbar, I intend to install a new 7 pin towing socket. The 7 pin socket that I have procurred also has a microswitch so the car BSI (via initialised towing ECU) will now when the boat trailer is attached.

The reason I have changed from Euro 13pin to British 7 pin is because I only tow a boat and/or trailer so don't need the extra circuits of the 13 pin. In addition, the Euro 13 pin socket is subject to a MOT test while the 7 Pin is not. One less thing to fail an MOT on.

Regards
G
gmerry   
Sat Mar 31 2012, 02:17pm
Hi all, finally got around to removing the faulty 13pin Euro towing socket.

There had been an electrical fault inside the microswitch which has completely blown a hole through the side of the molding!.

Anyway, I have a new 12N (normal 7 pin socket) wired up but would like to connect up the new micro switch.

Does anyone have a copy of the Citroen wiring installation instructions for the towing ECU (I threw mine away). I need to connect the 3 wires to the microswitch and want to get them the correct way around.

Thanks
G
DavidC4   
Sun Apr 01 2012, 12:29pm
Member No: #5234
I have had a look on service.citroen.com for you and discover that there are various part numbers for the wiring loom depending on your RP number. A quick look seems to throw up that different coloured wires are used with 13pin and 7pin sockets. I suggest you exercise extreme caution as I managed a few years ago to get it wrong on a C5 and blew the BSI. (Expensive!).
gmerry   
Wed Apr 04 2012, 07:21am
Hi David, thanks for your warning. I found that the colours that Citroen use for the wiring loom between Trailer ECU and 13 Pin Euro socket do not fully conform with the "standard" so best to check each and every wire. At the moment I have the 7 Pin socket wired up but not sure if I have the 3 Canbus wires correct (the ones that go to the microswitch). There is a common terminal (earthed?), plus a wire each to normally open and normally closed terminals. The Citroen Towing ECU installation instructions would be handy!

Regards
G
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Apr 04 2012, 08:10am

Member No: #1
G the Towbar Wiring guide is here: - Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 gmerry (05 Apr 2012 : 09:36)
DavidC4   
Wed Apr 04 2012, 02:53pm
The wiring of the D & C terminals on the micro-switch is absolutely critical. When I had a MK1 C5 there was no earth feed connection on the micro-switch so mixing up the coloured wires on the D & C terminals wasn't an issue.

Where I screwed up on the MK2 C5 (also applicable to a C4) was I didn't spot the earth wire and got the two coloured wires i.e the grey and brown, to terminals D & C [%*^#@!] about face and that is what blew the BSI.

My message is still take care, if in doubt don't!
1 User said Thank You to DavidC4 for this Post :
 gmerry (05 Apr 2012 : 09:36)
gmerry   
Thu Apr 05 2012, 06:19am
David, thanks again for your warnings.

The microswitch has three terminals:

Common (to earth), Normally Closed (no towing socket), Normally Open (towing socket inserted).

Normally closed is switched to earth when there is no towing socket inserted
Normally Open is switched to earth when there is a towing socket inserted.

Million $ question is whether blue or brown can wire goes to each of Normally Open or Normally Closed terminals.

Would it matter, apart from screwing up the logic?

Regards
G
DavidC4   
Thu Apr 05 2012, 02:24pm
I trust you have had a look at C6 Dave's link and the two wires I think we talking about to the micro-switch are grey and brown. I have had a look on service.citroen.com and had a look at the wiring diagrams there and it would appear the wires concerned are grey and pink!!! Are you using OEM sockets? The part numbers I have found are 9688 J6 for the 13 pin socket and 9688 J5 for the & pin socket. I would attached the files I found on the website but there are larger than that permitted by this forum and so cannot post. Good luck!!
gmerry   
Thu Apr 05 2012, 03:29pm
Hi David, Originally I had the OEM 13 pin Euro socket complete with the brown and grey wires (Can High and Can Low) going to the microsocket. There was a blue jumper wire from the 3rd contact on the microswitch back to the main earth pin on the socket.

The microswitch burnt out (blw a hole in the side of the soecket). I have replaced with a 7pin socket complete with microswitch because the 13pin would have failed a MOT (7 pin sockets are not MOT examinable).

So how to wire the brown and blue Can Wires.

Regards
G
DavidC4   
Thu Apr 05 2012, 03:38pm
Is your 7 pin socket an OEM variety? I'm guessing you may have an after market part with two terminals on the switch. The OEM 7 pin socket micro-switch looks identical to the one in the 13 pin socket. If my guessing is right, you shouldn't have a problem because the wiring is the same.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member