or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Mods and Styling, Chassis, lowering, wheels etc.

CamM's VTS180

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Stuey   
Fri Jan 20 2012, 07:25am
Member No: #84
Wozza wrote ...

don't have to rev it as much etc.

Don't have to, but will....
wozza   
Fri Jan 20 2012, 07:40am

Member No: #2
Well of course, what's the point in being able to rev past 7000rpm if you don't do it?

CamM   
Fri Jan 20 2012, 07:46am

Member No: #19249
Have you heard of "VIEZU" or "DNA Tuning"? They appear to exist in Australia (albeit 1000kms north or south of Sydney) and claim to be able to remap the VTS. From what I can tell, they are both UK companies that have now established a small presence over here.
wozza   
Fri Jan 20 2012, 07:57am

Be worth asking them, usually most of these places will offer money back warranty and flash it back to the original map.

They store your original map before loading a new one.
CamM   
Fri Jan 20 2012, 08:07am

According to the VIEZU site, their remap offers an extra 12bhp and 18Nm.

DNA Tuning's web site indicates that their remap offers an additional 31bhp and 51Nm.
Ham   
Fri Jan 20 2012, 09:30am

Member No: #69
like the side lights, must get some new ones as mine have gone bluey like Stu's.
C4Darren   
Fri Jan 20 2012, 10:30am
Member No: #13754
I found when I bought similar LED sidelights (mine had like 27/28 SMD's on it) from Worldsound on ebay (which arrive quicker than anticipated from hong kong) they do go a bit off-colour as Stuey said. Think that's them overheating...

Ah well, they're cheap as chips and last like half a year, so no worries! Looking good though Cam
CamM   
Mon Jan 23 2012, 03:28am

Well my new air filter arrived today. I knew there was going to be a difference in thickness between the stock and K&N filters, but I must say I hadn't expected the difference to be as much as it was!! I managed to swap out the stock filter with relative ease and took the opportunity to clean the filter box of any caught up dust and debris. Once everything was screwed back together, I turned the key for the moment of truth...

As expected, the high flow filter does not make a monumental difference, however the change is noticeable. Throttle response is improved and I do notice a greater urgency under acceleration. I don't mean to sound like I'm over-selling the high-flow panel filter, but the VTS does feel different car to drive - and that's just after driving it around the block to ensure everything was working after the installation.

I know that this is just a small taste of what could be realised with a decent induction system and I have to admit that I'm beginning to understand the appeal...
wozza   
Mon Jan 23 2012, 04:51am

Going to end up getting the bug if you carry on.
CamM   
Mon Jan 23 2012, 06:53am

Wozza wrote ...

Going to end up getting the bug if you carry on.

So it would seem...

To be honest, I'm glad I went down this path rather than simply diving straight into induction. For a small outlay and a little DIY effort, I've ended up with a noticeable improvement courtesy of a quality part upgrade that still leaves the car in virtually "stock" setup. At the same time, it provides some good insight into what gains can be had with improved airflow. For anyone who's at all unsure about whether or not induction is right for them (like I was), this is a great way to (sort of) "try before you buy".
jon2CV   
Mon Jan 23 2012, 11:29am
I'm just needing one question answered:- If these 'after-market' filters are far superior to OE, why do Citroen and other manufacturers fit the type they do? If it improves economy, performance and maybe even emissions (and give a possible benefit of lower road tax, so more sales), why not fit a K&N or a version of their own? Ah, that's two questions

Think I already know the answer:- Cost.
wozza   
Mon Jan 23 2012, 11:42am

Paper filter is a few pence to make and a few quid to sell.

After market filter is £50+ and reusable.
C4Darren   
Mon Jan 23 2012, 06:34pm
Member No: #13754
jon2CV wrote ...

If it improves economy, performance and maybe even emission

That, and technically if you check the K&N website they tell you the filter will filter only around 98-99% as well as the OEM. Doesn't sound that bad but if you're paranoid that could add to a lot of air not being treated.

The reason it's a power improvement is because more air gets in. More air gets in because it's less obstructed aka filters less.

But it's only a slight difference.. I mean you'd do more harm by driving through industrial areas than you would putting a K&N on no doubt.
CamM   
Tue Jan 24 2012, 02:28am

As Wozza mentioned, cost will certainly be a factor that car makers would consider, but I reckon their reasoning is predominantly focused around risk management. We all know that cars are factory tuned to meet various emissions rules and regulations worldwide, however there's also a pretty good chance that they detune their cars to reduce the risk of warranty claims from people who don't look after their car.
CamM   
Sat Jan 28 2012, 04:05am

Hoping to get a reality check here from fellow C4 Owners who know and can spot the differences...

I parked next to another VTS today which I discovered was the same year model as mine. To all outward appearances, this VTS had not been modified from stock in any way.

Now to the best of my knowledge, my tail lights are original; factory delivered based on 2005 spec. The only thing I've ever done to them is to install Philips SilverVision globes (and replace both brake globes). There is only one occasion (read "repair") where they could possibly have been changed, but as far as I'm aware there would be no reason for that to have been done. The other point to make is that the facelifted coupe never made it to Australia, hence all C4 coupes should look like the phase 1 model.

What I'm getting at with all of this, is that my tail lights, and the tail lights on this white VTS should look basically the same. Funny thing is though, when I looked at the tail lights as shown in my photo, there appears - to my eyes at least - to be some difference in colour. If I didn't know better, I'd suggest that my tail lights actually look clear enough (in comparison) to be phase 2 lights!

So am I onto something here, or is this just a trick of the eyes?

Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member