or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

C4 Grand Picasso Automatic transmission not engaging gear (sometimes)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
mollan1969   
Thu Jan 12 2012, 02:06pm
I bought a (2007) C4 Grand Picasso in April last year and love it!! But in the last week or so it hasn't been engaging gear properly. It intermittently doesn't engage reverse and has started doing it in forward gears too. It doesn't do it all the time and seems to take a few attempts to engage the gear. Any ideas? It has been to a garage and they couldn't find anything wrong but have suggested I take it for a diagnostic check!
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 devild46 (14 Jul 2015 : 17:22)
routemaster1   
Thu Jan 12 2012, 04:03pm
Member No: #574
mollan1969 wrote ...

I bought a (2007) C4 Grand Picasso in April last year and love it!! But in the last week or so it hasn't been engaging gear properly. It intermittently doesn't engage reverse and has started doing it in forward gears too. It doesn't do it all the time and seems to take a few attempts to engage the gear. Any ideas? It has been to a garage and they couldn't find anything wrong but have suggested I take it for a diagnostic check!

Is this full auto or EGS?
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
mollan1969   
Thu Jan 12 2012, 04:25pm
I take it EGS means automatic and manual??? In which case it is EGS! Not just automatic!
routemaster1   
Fri Jan 13 2012, 01:23am
Member No: #574
mollan1969 wrote ...

I take it EGS means automatic and manual??? In which case it is EGS! Not just automatic!

EGS is the Electronic Gearbox System. It is an automated manual gearbox with an electronic actuated conventional clutch. The full auto is a hydraulically actuated box with a torque converter. In the C4P and GP both can be operated in auto or manual using the paddles. The simple way to tell the difference is that the EGS does not have a Park position on the selector, the auto does.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
mollan1969   
Fri Jan 13 2012, 02:01am
In that case mine is EGS!
kipper   
Fri Jan 13 2012, 02:34pm
I have this problem on my C4 hatch. Does it sometimes feel like the car has changed onto a higher gear than the next one (like changing from 2nd to 5th in a manual)? After a second or so it will find the right gear, but the car slows and can cause a heart attack to a following driver, especially if tanking away from the lights! So far I have not found anyone to advise on this problem, and mine is an 07 as well.
mollan1969   
Fri Jan 13 2012, 03:13pm
My problems sounds a bit different to yours. Just been out in mine and it was staying in neutral when I moved the paddle to reverse or auto for ages. Eventually went into gear but as I was driving it jumped out of gear!! Got stuck across a street trying to reverse to turn to come back home, then eventually went into reverse but made a big bang and jumped back! Had to limp home in 2nd gear, wouldn't change up! Will let you know if and when I get to the bottom of it! Think I am going to have to get it to a citroen dealer to get it looked at!
mollan1969   
Tue Jan 17 2012, 02:19am
Just spoken to the Citroen garage, apparently there is no fluid in the actuator, not sure why it would be empty as there doesn't appear to be any sign of a leakage! Going to replace the fluid and see if they can find any leak!!! Not sure if this will help anybody but lack of fluid or dirty fluid seems to a recurring theme for this problem!
  (22 Jan 2012 : 10:40)
mollan1969   
Fri Jan 20 2012, 02:25pm
Fluid replaced in the actuator and car is running smoothly again now, phew!!! And not a huge bill to pay either! Even got my car back valeted!!! Hope this helps someone!!!

3 User said Thank You to for this Post :
  (21 Jan 2012 : 09:01) ,  (22 Jan 2012 : 10:40) , BigJohnD (31 Jan 2012 : 11:26)
kipper   
Sat Jan 21 2012, 09:01am
I'll add that to my list of "possibles". Thanks.

Reminds me off my old Singer Vogue with overdrive that wouldn't engage after I changed the clutch. I refilled the gearbox till I thought it was full (correct amount put in), but did not realise that had to keep pouring oil in so it could flow over a weir and so fill the overdrive as well. You live and learn.
Sickpuppy   
Sun Jan 22 2012, 10:42am
That's great news. At last someone has found a cause for dodgy gear selections on EGS.
Mine has done it for ages.
I even asked dealer last time if fluids were correct. Was told it's a sealed system and is no maintenance .
Mine is in on Wed for this and a couple other issues. Mainly the binding rear brakes.
Cheers guys

Dan
Sickpuppy   
Tue Jan 31 2012, 07:44am
I had mine looked at and they have found a leak from the EGS reservoir tank on the gearbox, tied with your advice above this could explain the issues I have had.

Thanks again mate for the nudge in the right direction :0)
jasba123   
Thu Oct 23 2014, 03:29am
Member No: #34150
Sickpuppy wrote ...

I had mine looked at and they have found a leak from the EGS reservoir tank on the gearbox, tied with your advice above this could explain the issues I have had.

Thanks again mate for the nudge in the right direction :0)

Hi
I Citroen found a lead from my Transmission. I too have a 2007 EGS Grand Picasso. Have Taken it locally to a nuts and bolts mechanic- he appears terrified of attempting to fix the leak! Is it a big job?? Thank You kindly
c4reverse   
Mon Oct 26 2020, 05:39am
Member No: #57127
Got a 2009 C4 Grand Picasso EGS. It was not going into reverse intermittently, other gears were fine. I would turn off car, then back on and that would usually resolve it, but then it got to a point where it wasn't going into reverse at all. Took it to Leicester dealership and they quoted me £1500 to change actuator! Did my own research and found this video to fix same issue: - Click Here -

Adam is a star, and though he's far from me he found me a local mech via his network. Got the gear selector changed total £150, now perfect!
Ap0qalypto   
Tue Oct 27 2020, 01:02pm
Member No: #52161
Most of the times is gear selector. If they use some generic diagnostic, its usually indicating that its hidraulic actuator, which is not.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member