or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Mods and Styling, Chassis, lowering, wheels etc.

CamM's VTS180

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
CamM   
Sun May 19 2013, 05:58am

Member No: #19249
Following up on a discussion in a different thread ( - Click Here - ), I managed to capture some iPhone video of a tunnel run in my VTS as I was leaving the city last night.

Just after the 2min mark you'll hear me get frustrated with the driver in front (about the time when he brakes). What you can't see on the video is that in the lane to the left of us is a learner driver going at a snail's pace (nothing wrong with that), but instead of overtaking safely before the lanes merge (some 200m later), the car in front of me brakes to match speed with the learner, hesitates and then finally decides that the smart move is to overtake and merge!

To give you an idea of location, from around the 1min 10s mark, I'm driving over the top of Circular Quay, before the road spirals up and leads onto the Harbour Bridge.
wozza   
Sun May 19 2013, 06:53am

Member No: #2
Funnily enough, I put my battery on charge a little while ago to go do a tunnel run in mine later. Won't be driven for very much longer, as soon as I pick up the Monaro it's getting stripped of my bits and going up for sale.

But with regards to the video, would have given it a watch...if someone had not set it to private.

So fix it!
FakeConcern   
Sun May 19 2013, 07:35am
Member No: #24127
wozza wrote ...

But with regards to the video, would have given it a watch...if someone had not set it to private.

So fix it!

^ This!
CamM   
Sun May 19 2013, 08:57am

Hmm... ok, let's try that again.
wozza   
Sun May 19 2013, 09:25am

Induction noise does sound so good on these cars.
CamM   
Fri Aug 30 2013, 09:08am

Picked up a new toy last week, just in time for use with the car on a track day at Wakefield Park. Unfortunately, the suction mount decided to spontaneously self-destruct and it went flying off at Turn 2, effectively ending my video recording for the day Thankfully, the GoPro survived its ordeal (seemingly) unscathed.

FakeConcern   
Fri Aug 30 2013, 11:51am
I feel dizzy after watching that! Very lucky for the camera to be ok still, they must be very sturdy.

Some interesting cars going on in front of you as well.
wozza   
Fri Aug 30 2013, 12:44pm

Be worth saying something to GoPro direct, their mounts are usually quite good. Might do something for you, least the camera survived however!

Planning on picking up a GoPro myself soon, my current little camera while video is quite good. The battery is terrible! Get about 30 minutes and it is done.
CamM   
Thu May 29 2014, 04:59am

About time for a little update on my VTS.

On Feb 11th, the odometer finally ticked over to 6 figures -:

April 12th marked 9 full years of C4 ownership. It's fair to say that back in 2005, I never imagined I'd still be owning the car after this length of time, but I've certainly enjoyed the ownership experience and as many of you know, I've had a bit of fun over the last few years with subtly modifying the car and taking it out for a few track days.

For its birthday, I treated the VTS to a service. $830 later, I was out of there with a completed service, new drive belt, freshly changed gearbox oil, a fuel injector de-carb service and a re-gassed A/C. I was also informed of an oil leak from the rocker cover gaskets and finally, FINALLY, confirmation that the noises I've been getting in my clutch are indeed the release bearing. I've been quoted $195 for the oil leak and $1500 for the clutch (which I'm assuming is the whole clutch kit). Importantly, the car passed its annual safety check with flying colours and is good for another year of happy motoring!

On the Easter long weekend, I travelled down to Rawson in Victoria for "Cit-In", our national Citroën Car Clubs rally. The whole 5 day trip took in 2 States (and 1 Territory) and almost 2000kms, including some fantastic driving roads in the far south of NSW and far north of Victoria. Whilst I've been to Victoria plenty of times before, I'd never actually driven there and I'd never taken the VTS on such a long return trip, let alone experience that much driving in such a short space of time with the stiffer Bilstein suspension. As such, this was a very new experience! The car performed flawlessly and although it did crash over the poorer roads - which was to be expected - it was pretty comfortable to drive for extended periods of time and distance. In fact, I did the homeward trip all in the one day, meaning I was in the car for about 10hrs (plus breaks) and around 950kms.

Whilst at Cit-In, we did an "observation run" which included - and I'm not exaggerating - off-roading. This wasn't mentioned prior to embarking on the run, so whilst all those hydropneumatic Cits were taking it in their stride, you can imagine how concerned I was when faced with the reality of having to drive my lowered VTS, with 2 other passengers on board, over several kms of rutted, pot-holed, rock-strewn fire trail. Well, despite being slightly embarrassed by the fact that I had to pull over and let a 70-year-old Traction drive past me (because I was holding it up), my VTS came out the other end rather dirty, but otherwise unscathed.

About 2 weeks back, I was opening the boot when... POP!!!! PSSSS!!!! ...and spitting fluid. Yep, the gas strut gave up in a big way. Suffice it to say, the boot now weighs a ton to open and replacement struts are on my shopping list.

All in all, the VTS is travelling pretty well for its age and seems to be suffering from nothing more than the general wear and tear that one should expect from a car of this age. Touch wood it continues this way!
Dave_Retired.   
Thu May 29 2014, 06:03am

Member No: #1
CamM wrote ...

Well, despite being slightly embarrassed by the fact that I had to pull over and let a 70-year-old Traction drive past me (because I was holding it up), my VTS came out the other end rather dirty, but otherwise unscathed.

Lesson learned: Never underestimate the road holding and ride qualities of a Traction Avant
CamM   
Thu May 29 2014, 06:28am

Yep, gotta admit that it was pretty impressive. I had a chat with the Traction's owner after the observation run and it's fair to say that he wasn't particularly impressed with having to drive it off-road. It was apparently very close to overheating and had he known about the stretch of road, he would never have taken his car there.
FakeConcern   
Thu May 29 2014, 07:44am
Nice to hear of you enjoying the VTS still!

I would recommend getting genuine tailgate struts, I bought some patent ones, but they only lasted 6 months until the wind could blow the tailgate down. Genuine now fitted again.
CamM   
Thu May 29 2014, 07:49am

Thanks Peter. I was thinking to go with the genuine article so it's good to hear your experience backs that up.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member