or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Mods and Styling, Chassis, lowering, wheels etc.

CamM's VTS180

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
CamM   
Fri May 03 2013, 04:52am

Member No: #19249
wozza wrote ...

Get the exhaust done first :-P

That's one of the reasons I'd held off a tune previously, but Viezu Australia have confirmed in writing that if I was to get a new exhaust (or various other mods), they will re-write the tune to accommodate it at no charge. Essentially, it means I can tune the car now (to get the best out of it's current setup) and have peace of mind in knowing that the tune will be updated to cater for any future mods at no extra cost. This is a service offered specifically within the Australian market.
wozza   
Fri May 03 2013, 08:53am

Member No: #2
That's not too bad then. Get it done, interested to see your dyno results.
CamM   
Fri May 03 2013, 08:56am

You and me both!
CamM   
Thu May 09 2013, 09:08am

Pretty chuffed to discover my VTS was highlighted on "Sehr Gute!", a website devoted to European motorsport, modification and culture in Australia. Article here: - Click Here -

FakeConcern   
Thu May 09 2013, 11:36am
Member No: #24127
A nice mention there! I also looked through the est thread again, what a nice car!
1 User said Thank You to FakeConcern for this Post :
 CamM (10 May 2013 : 05:33)
wozza   
Thu May 09 2013, 01:07pm

Member No: #2
Just saw something that might go with your car Cam. Plus with the item location makes it quite a nice little purchase.

- Click Here -

Be curious how closely they match the original which is also plastic with an effect on it.
psul2006   
Fri May 10 2013, 12:48am
Member No: #26319
Cam, Let me know when your planning on getting yours tuned, I'd be keen to get mine done at the same time. They might give us a discount for getting both of us in at the same time.

Also nice mention there in Sehr Gute! I think I am going to get a pair of similar wheels on mine.
CamM   
Fri May 10 2013, 06:33am

psul2006 wrote ...

They might give us a discount for getting both of us in at the same time.

Haven't got the date sorted yet, Paul. The guy who I've got to book it in with is overseas at present so I'm waiting for him to get back. They're already giving me a significant discount given it will be the first C4 they've tuned here so I'm not sure whether they'll go further than that.
CamM   
Sun May 12 2013, 08:29am

Had a blast today at the ARDC Members Track Day on Sydney Motorsport Park's "Brabham Circuit" (i.e. the newly extended track layout). I'd previously done parade laps on the extended circuit, but this was my first time driving it at speed. I'm a huge fan of the new layout!

The chicane sequence (Turns 7-10) is quite challenging and forces you to compromise corner speed for the sake of maintaining the racing line and maximising ultimate exit speed. Immediately following Turn 10 is the drop down to the bowl (Turn 11) before the hairpin climb (Turn 12) that leads to the fast and flowing return to the old "Grand Prix" layout. Having started around the 2"45 range, I was consistently lapping in the 2"41's by lunch. I finally pulled out a 2"40 but I had lost a good 1+ seconds as my lap was (unintentionally) compromised by a Triumph Stag. Having believed I was on target to peak somewhere around the 2"38-2"39 range by day's end, I was thrilled to start putting in consistent low 2"37's before finishing with a PB of 2"36.61.

Once again, I used "Harry's Lap Timer" to capture some onboard footage. This time, it was partnered with a couple of recent purchases - a Dual XGPS150a (high speed external GPS for near V-Box positioning accuracy) and a GoPoint BT1 (bluetooth enabled OBD2 reader capable of reading live data from the car's onboard systems and overlaying it on the video feed). Enjoy!

Early Lap...

PB Lap...
Dave_Retired.   
Sun May 12 2013, 09:12am

Member No: #1
Interesting lines on some of the corners.

I had a drive around Croft some years back in a Vectra SRI and the professional driver coaching me said that the fastest lap times were got by braking very late at a corner and virtually going around square so you weren't going wide on the outside on exit

Whilst it appears to go against what you naturally think is the fastest line, it did pay off.

Looks like the VTS could have done with another gear so you could have got nearer the rev limiter in top
BigJohnD   
Sun May 12 2013, 09:20am

Member No: #82
Excellent PB!
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 CamM (12 May 2013 : 10:13)
CamM   
Sun May 12 2013, 10:11am

Some of the lines at "The Creek" (as it's affectionately known) are a little unusual. I had one of the professional drivers/instructors ride shotgun with me just after lunch.

His initial feedback was that I was turning into corners too late. The next bit of feedback was to focus on balancing directional change with smooth steering input. Within a lap or so I was attacking the corners completely differently and it felt much better. From then on in, the only feedback I was getting were things like "Great line!" and "I haven't said anything because I'm just enjoying this lap - really good!"

When it comes to achieving the best lap times, I think it's very much dependant on the car you're driving and the professional instructor offering tips and coaching. Turn 1 at The Creek is the fastest corner on a racetrack in Australia (+/- 200km/h) with room for 2 on the racing line at point of entry but only 1 at the exit. I managed 177km/h at the braking zone for Turn 1, before dropping down to (and maintaining) 150km/h throughout the corner. Pretty good for a road car if you ask me!! Regardless of what you're driving or who's coaching you, it's generally agreed that there's only one correct line. Conversely, Turn 2 has multiple "correct" lines and seems to be very much down to driver preference. The circuit has other unofficial - but universally accepted - "correct" lines. For example, as you exit Turn 15 you virtually feed the car completely off track and at the exits of Turn 17 and 18, you are actively encouraged to feed the offside wheels off the track and onto the concrete border to help launch the car out of the corner.

Another gear would have been nice, but I don't know if I would have gotten much faster on the straight. I'm looking forward to comparing lap times from today against the next time I drive the circuit, by which time I will have had the remap done.
FakeConcern   
Sun May 12 2013, 12:46pm
Member No: #24127
Once again that looks really exciting & I love the technology used here.
1 User said Thank You to FakeConcern for this Post :
 CamM (13 May 2013 : 05:17)
Citroening   
Sun May 12 2013, 02:04pm
Member No: #24121
Excellent, sounds like you had a brilliant day.

As Peter says, the tech used is great. I love the way it's got the live data from the car going into it as well.
1 User said Thank You to Citroening for this Post :
 CamM (13 May 2013 : 05:17)
CamM   
Mon May 13 2013, 05:33am

Thanks guys The GoPoint BT1 adds a whole new dimension to tracking your laps. Loving it!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member