or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

Trying to buy the right brake discs and pads

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Commodore   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 07:28am
Member No: #21107
Hi folks

I'm contemplating doing a complete replacement of the brake discs and pads on my C4 (57 plate 5dr VTR+ 1.6HDi). Is there an easy way (ie, not taking wheels off) to confirm the following:

1) whether I need the Lucas or Bosch pads
2) whether I have the 266MM or 283MM front discs
3) whether I need the 30MM or 25MM diameter rear bearings

Also, are all rear discs on the C4 the 249MM ones, or are there two different size options as with the front?

Suffice to say, parts counter at my local dealership was not very helpful as I'm not planning on buying OE parts from them.

Thanks in advance for any help on offer.

Cheers
Chris
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 07:41am

Member No: #1
Any aftermarket parts supplier will be able to tell you what you need form your reg number
Commodore   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 08:10am
If it was that simple, I wouldn't have posted here asking for help.
gmerry   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 08:40am
Member No: #11625
Chris, try Brakes International and speak to the technical guy there.

Re the rear brakes, if there are radial springs that are riveted to the outer diameter of the pads, you have Lucas brakes.

If I was at home, I could post a photo. Instead look at the diagram at Brakes International.

Rear disks are all the same diameter.

Also see my PM
gmerry   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 09:01am
Chris, Brakes International list changeover on the 1.6HDi as September 2006 for 25mm to 30mm so that should clarify that particular point. If not 1.6HDi, just enter your details in catalogue.

Re Lucas Or Bosch, I could post a photo on what the Lucas caliper looks like (use a flashlight through the spokes)

Regards
G
BigJohnD   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 09:05am

Member No: #82
Look at the the master cylinder under the bonnet or take off a front wheel. If the word Bosch is written on either, then you'll have 283mm front discs.

Pads which have springs fitted are Lucas.

You'll need your VIN for the rear as there several different discs.

Note that if you buy the genuine Citroën rear discs, new ABS rings and bearings will be already fitted. Be aware that with pattern rear discs that seem very cheap, it is likely there is no ABS ring nor bearing. You will have to supply fit the ABS ring and the bearing yourself.
Commodore   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 09:12am
Chaps - that is brilliant. Thanks for the info (and for the tip on Brakes International), really helpful and really appreciate it.
gmerry   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 10:17am
Chris Brakes International give you choice of bare disks or disks complete with bearings and ABS ring, they come from a very good Northern European foundry (probably at least as good as Citroen OEM) and will give you the information you need to select either 25mm or 30mm.

Regards
G

PS, ask them nicely for some caliper guide pin grease because its very hard to buy, also get their rubber seals for the guide pins plus new stainless shims and then you can do a decent job for a very small % increase on the job.
Commodore   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 10:18am
Will do - cheers!

Chris

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member