or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

DPF removal/remapping (Depollution fault/EGR valve cleaning/change)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
sijones   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 08:12am
Member No: #23077
gmerry wrote ...

You will also need to configure the new EGR valve using Lexia. Look at the grief this can cause - Click Here -

@bigstan, if this is the case am only in e.port and have lexia if it's required to be done.
1 User said Thank You to sijones for this Post :
 bigstan (01 Dec 2011 : 11:57)
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 08:46am

Member No: #1
gmerry wrote ...

. Dave, any chance of getting a wiring diagram for the valve showing the pin numbering and the actuator operating principle (pulsed signal or variable voltage plus position feedback ???).

Wiring diagrams on the C4 are horrific to navigate, you require an RPO, engine type and other info

I have added a couple more diagrams here: - Click Here - for the DV6 engine but where the EGR connection is amongst all that I really don't have a clue and there are no 'pinout' diagrams.
bigstan   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 11:54am
Member No: #18724
@ sijones, cheers for the offer mate, but if I swop the EGR then it needs programming, I wont be able to drive it, or will it still go??

I have seen one or two other threads about changing the EGR, I will see if I can PM the member and find out if they had to get theirs programmed.

@gmerry, did you manage to get the clamp back on using BernieRubbles advice in the thread you two had? - Click Here - Or is it difficult?
sijones   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 01:27pm
bigstan wrote ...

@ sijones, cheers for the offer mate, but if I swop the EGR then it needs programming, I wont be able to drive it, or will it still go??

hmmm never thought about that, but i would have thought it would drive but throw a MIL... am sure someone will know.

EGR isn't a critical item for the running of the engine so i assume you will be able to drive.... could be wrong!
gmerry   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 03:26pm
Member No: #11625
Bigstan, I removed the EGR valve complete with the outlet pipe that curves around back of the engine and into the inlet (it mixes with the pressured air from the turbo). I could only do this because the engine was out. So I never split the crimped outlet pipe clamp.

Here's a photo of the valve mostly showing the actuator. Don't be tempted to separate the actuator from the valve because the two items are calibrated together (and there is potting mixture on the screw). The small bolt heads (two off) that secure the EGR valve are half hidden by the plastic coolant pipes.

Regards
G

1 User said Thank You to gmerry for this Post :
 bigstan (01 Dec 2011 : 15:45)
bigstan   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 03:53pm
@ gmerry, thanks for the photos, the more I get to see helps give a better idea of whats involved.

I am gonna try cleaning it tomorrow or saturday, hopefully the amount of carbon in there will maybe give me a better idea. I will take some photos and put them up afterwards.

As some Peugeots and Fords use the same engine, I have seen a few forums now saying that the new EGR will need some sort of reset, but BernieRubble got back to me to say he never had it reset on his. So, Im not 100% sure but will keep tyring to find the definate answer.
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Dec 02 2011, 02:35am

Member No: #1
You can buy some components 'pre configured' or 'not configured' via a dealer parts dept.

Obviously the 'pre configured' cost more, non configured require access to 'Lexia'
bigstan   
Fri Dec 02 2011, 05:41am
I have been trying to get to the EGR valve this morning, but I cant get the air filter box out from under the windscreen. I've taken the scuttle panel, battery and battery mount out, and its still wont come out. It gets jammed on the EGR!!! Ironic.

Any tips?
gmerry   
Fri Dec 02 2011, 07:03am
Instead of getting to the EGR valve over the top of the engine, try and get to it from the gearbox end. You already have the battery and battery mount out of the way (nasty liitle bolt that has to be undone from wheelarch side) so you are nearly there.

Lift the fuel filter up out of the way, then you will find an alloy fuel filter mount which unbolts. Behind the fuel filter mount is the top of the egr valve. The hex bolt heads (two off) which hold the EGR valve body to the cylinder head are partially blocked/obscured by the plastic coolant pipe. Use an inspection mirror and a strong torch to locate them (I think you need an 8mm socket).

Regards
G
gmerry   
Fri Dec 02 2011, 10:26am
Bigstan, I've found a really good write up for a CMax with the same engine and EGR valve. The guy has got to the EGR by removing the fuel filter not just putting to one side (it will drive you mad if you just move it aside as it will keep floping back).

The poster has been brave enough to dismantle the valve in order to clean it (I was not). - Click Here -

There's also some pretty good debate about blanking it and fooling the ECU.

Regards
G
1 User said Thank You to gmerry for this Post :
 bigstan (02 Dec 2011 : 11:55)
bigstan   
Fri Dec 02 2011, 11:55am
@ gmerry, wish I had of seen your post before I put it back together!!!

I did manage to dismantle everything today and had the EGR valve off, but I was a little unsure whether or not to dismantle the valve. Mine, as you can see was covered in oil, as I have lovely oil leak somewhere to add to my woes.

Now the valve head was fully up as you can see so there wasn't much for me to clean, so I can only guess maybe it's either stuck or not retracting any more due to an electrical or mechanical fault.

I found further joy, when I noticed that there was NO gastket between the engine and valve body. Can only assume the previous owners have had it apart and not put it back on.

*Just for some help to anyone trying this, I have put some photos showing the little clamp that is the hardest part of doing this due to the accessibility being so tight, but if you see how it clips on it might make it easier for you to take off.

** Sorry for the poor photos, I wanted to take more and better quality, but it was brass monkeys today, so the quicker the better.

trev h   
Fri Dec 02 2011, 12:38pm
Member No: #10864
Been following this thread & seeing this on ebay wondered if anyone has actually removed/blocked their EGR valve, if so what was the outcome.

- Click Here -
gmerry   
Fri Dec 02 2011, 02:22pm
Hi Trev, I think you have to add the blanking plate before the EGR valve blocks and jams, otherwise the positioner feedback will tell the ECU.

Regards
G

- Click Here -

Attached link to Valeo Technical Bulletin for EGR valve purpose and operation
sijones   
Fri Dec 02 2011, 03:50pm
On my Audi, I had the EGR mapped out and then unplugged it (no blanking plate was required), no fault and ran alot better!

I did clean it before I then unplugged it....
bigstan   
Tue Dec 06 2011, 07:39am
Just as update, I removed and cleaned (oil leakage, not carbon build-up as there was hardly any) my egr valve on a friday (2nd), sunday night (4th) my depollution system fault light went out, and up until now neither of the fault lights ( depollution and esp/abs) have reappeared (6th).

Im not expecting it to stay off....but we'll see.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member