or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Loeb

Today was MOT time once again for my C4 VTS By Loeb

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
JonM   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 02:27pm
Member No: #211
Today was MOT time once again for my C4 VTS By Loeb

Took it into Citroen Redditch as they have an offer on MOT’s presently - £39.95 as opposed to £50 and more at all other local places I tried calling.

Thought if there was going to be anything [only minor hopefully] wrong then they’re more likely to have the part in stock or be able to get the part quicker.

Was a little concerned that it may fail on something, mainly due to the fact that MOT’s are getting stricter and also that now my C4 is getting older [4 years old in March 2012 yikes].
I may be a bit of of a pessimist but something is always bound be faulty or to of worn and needs replacing or something stop working since its last MOT.

Anyways - good news! its passed!! - but with two advisories…
1st - The rear indicator bulbs weren’t as orange as they should be as they had become very pale.
Sorted – two new indicator bulbs
2nd - The o/s front headlight was a tiny bit low apparently – never noticed really but hey-ho - Sorted

Nothing mentioned about the exhaust which I thought may be an issue, not cause there's a problem with it, but cause it’s bit noisy – – and like I say, that MOT’s are getting stricter.

Happy now – just off to Tax it

Would of done it online but runs out tomorrow and it going to be parked up at the NEC and best not leave it without a tax disc on – just my luck a copper would spot it

Jon
JonM   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 02:28pm
Member No: #211
Now all MOT'd & Taxed

hehe

Jon
PentlandC4   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 03:00pm
Member No: #13613
Sorted!
Commodore   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 03:09pm
Member No: #21107
Glad to hear it passed, but quite frankly, for a car less than 4 years old there should be no reason for it to fail unless you've really not been maintaining it (and obviously you have been looking after it).

On a side note, I will never renew a tax disc online ever again, after what happened to me a few years ago.

Ordered online nearly 4 weeks in advance, never turned up. Chased several times but was repeatedly told by the DVLA to wait some more. Then with 2 days to go before expiry, the DVLA finally conceded that it was lost in the post. But, refused to issue a new one via post. Insisted I had to go to my (not remotely local) DVLA office in Borehamwood to get a duplicate. Better still, if I didn't, I'd be automatically fined for not having a valid tax disc as they had booked the original lost and I have to display valid tax at all times, not just have proof I've bought it.

Anyway, the DVLA staff there were about as helpful and polite as a kick in the nuts with a steel-toed boot. Wasted an entire holiday day off work getting the duplicate. Since then I've gone back to buying my tax disc the old fashioned way - post office! Quicker and less grief I reckon.
wozza   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 03:34pm

Member No: #2
Tax discs are just pointless things anyway. I mean it can be checked if the car is taxed easily and quickly. So why do we need to still display them? I understand years ago when everything was not computer based but come on times have changed.
Ham   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 03:59pm

Member No: #69
Nice to hear that mate, mines in for MOT tomorrow, almost 6 years old!!! 6years on the 17th December.
fingers crossed itll be ok.
jon2CV   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 04:31pm
I'm sure they give you 5 days 'grace' these days, since they introduced the online facility.
Commodore   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 04:33pm
Nope - no grace period whatsoever. Your responsibility to acquire a new disc in time to display it.
riven1962   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 01:42am
Member No: #18905
Agree that the tax disc is a waste of space in this day and age. If they can check your insured why not the tax.
Stuey   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 03:50am
Member No: #84
You get 5 days grace do you not? I remember reading it somewhere that you had an ammount of time to display the new disc
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 04:14am

Member No: #1
You get 5 days to produce your documents (licence etc.) at a Police station.
BigJohnD   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 04:19am

Member No: #82
There's 5 days grace as I understand it, provided you have made the renewal.

From DirectGov Car tax rules:
A current tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle it was bought for. If you buy a new tax disc before your current tax disc expires, you should not display the new one until the old one has expired. The new tax disc is only valid from the first day of the month you have taxed from. The maximum penalty for failure to display a current tax disc is £200. The tax disc can not be transferred between vehicles.

If you use the electronic vehicle licensing service or tax by post at the end of the month, there’s now an exemption for not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month to allow time for the new disc to arrive in the post. While you are still waiting for your tax disc you will need to display your current tax disc. The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires.
2 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (01 Dec 2011 : 04:37) , Commodore (01 Dec 2011 : 08:44)
Stuey   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 05:45am
Member No: #84
Knew I had read it somewhere. My car is showing an out of date disc now but will be sorted in the coming days
Commodore   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 08:44am
Useful to know they've finally seen sense and added in a grace period.
Ham   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 12:08pm

Member No: #69
Oh dear, She failed MOT, track rod end play.
I'm picking a pair up tomorrow form Citroen Derby, £25 each plus vat, fit them Sunday
tracking Monday and retest.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member