or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

Fuel economy drop on VTS180 !

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
IvanVTS   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 12:26am
Member No: #20386
Having previously praised my VTS180 for giving me low and accurate fuel economy all of a sudden it has jumped up.
No change to my driving habits yet all of a sudden my fuel economy has gone to 10.6 l/100km and higher previously it was the specifications report of 9.8l/100km. Any ideas?
CamM   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 02:03am

Member No: #19249
Might be pure coincidence, but I've been struggling to get my VTS's fuel economy to reach anything below 10.0l/100km for the past week and a bit (i.e. since my last refuel). I normally see 9.6 to 9.8l/100km.

I use Caltex Vortex 98 in my car. If you filled up with the same, then perhaps there might have been a lower quality batch delivered to Caltex stations recently?
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 02:56am

Member No: #1
It's also nearing peak summer in Aus. Hotter air carries less 02 so fuel efficiency drops slightly, combine with a dusty atmosphere clogging air filters and it can reduce MPG

I'm not saying that's the reason in this case, but maybe a factor
Rich_Eason   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 06:13am

Member No: #90
Dave raises valid points, and I too experienced significant jumps in MPG throughout the years of owning the VTS...sometimes at times I'd least expect it. For example we'd go away Camping, fully loaded car and return 40MPG, yet on a normal motorway run lightly loaded 2up, it could only manage 30.

There are so many factors at play I wouldnt worry too much. If it continues over the coming weeks it might be worth further investigation.

Dont forget that manufacturers quoted figures are always somewhat optomistic on what ever cycle you are refering to.
IvanVTS   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 05:01pm
I vary where I get my fuel from but unless I happen to be a bit broke I don't put less than 98 in it (never less than 95 though), last time I BP Ultimate in it.

Think Dave has the answer, fuel economy would have to vary with the season and it's both hot and humid here in Sydney.

Coincidentally I'm struggling to get the quoted fuel economy on the nissan x-trail 2wd we bought recently. Thanks guys
IvanVTS   
Wed Dec 07 2011, 06:19pm
Well it seems like I found the answer, it was a lot simpler. My tyres were running on minimum pressure!! Explains why the ride was so much better than before all of a sudden but the fuel economy was [%*^#@!]. I've pumped the tyres back up 36 psi front and 33 psi on the back and now the fuel economy is creeping back towards the 9.8 l/100 km I was getting consitently before
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Dec 08 2011, 12:57am

last thing I would have thought of as I assumed that you would have checked that............

As long as you found the answer though.
wozza   
Thu Dec 08 2011, 05:03am

Member No: #2
Shouldn't the 180 have more pressure in the rear? Mine says it should be 35 PSI front 36 rear.
CamM   
Thu Dec 08 2011, 09:36am

Wozza wrote ...

Shouldn't the 180 have more pressure in the rear? Mine says it should be 35 PSI front 36 rear.

36 front and 33 rear is the recommended pressure for the VTS based on the door sticker. I think it's an Australian guideline rather than the factory recommendation. Personally, I always put in an extra 2-3psi.
IvanVTS   
Thu Dec 08 2011, 04:59pm
So the reccomended tyre pressure is obviously a range, i do find it strange that the pressure would be higher in the back in the UK though. Not sure what's right!
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 01:46am

IvanVTS wrote ...

So the reccomended tyre pressure is obviously a range, i do find it strange that the pressure would be higher in the back in the UK though. Not sure what's right!

Go with whatever is on the plate on the 'A' pillar.

It may be that Citroen have decided that Australian Roads are in not so good a condition and run the car on a lower pressure to increase sidewall flexibility and ride comfort?
Rich_Eason   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 07:03am

Member No: #90
C6 Dave wrote ...

IvanVTS wrote ...

It may be that Citroen have decided that Australian Roads are in not so good a condition and run the car on a lower pressure to increase sidewall flexibility and ride comfort?

Plus ambient heat and pressure will also influence...

The sun always shines on Neighbours so it must be true
CamM   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 09:23am

C6 Dave wrote ...

Took a look when I got home this evening. The A Pillar indicates pressures should be approx 35psi on the front and 36psi at the rear. Conversely, the sticker on the driver's door indicates 36psi at the front and 33psi at the rear. I wonder what the rationale is behind the differing recommendations?

Sticker on the A Pillar -:

Sticker on the driver's door -:

jaysc4vts   
Sat Dec 10 2011, 06:51am
Petrol just doesn't last in my VTS 180, I'm always putting some in. Citroen should make a 6 speed to cut the revs down, that would help
wozza   
Sat Dec 10 2011, 07:13am

Member No: #2
CamM wrote ...

C6 Dave wrote ...

Took a look when I got home this evening. The A Pillar indicates pressures should be approx 35psi on the front and 36psi at the rear. Conversely, the sticker on the driver's door indicates 36psi at the front and 33psi at the rear. I wonder what the rationale is behind the differing recommendations?

Sticker on the A Pillar -:

Sticker on the driver's door -:

The door sticker isn't the standard one...

Wondering why they added that. The A pillar one is the same as the one in my car.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member