or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Ice and Sat Nav Questions

Poor Audio Quality iPhone/iPad New C4 VTR+

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Jfirth8187   
Mon Nov 28 2011, 04:45pm
Hi all, I've had my C4 VTR+ for around 5 days now and I'm struggling with my iPhone and iPad and their audio quality. So I've connected my iPhone by Bluetooth to the car and this give me my handsfree calling fine. I've then connected it to the car via the USB lead to the USB jack on the car for my music (I need this connection so I can manipulate the phone by the cars controls).

The phone picks up the car and vice versa and says the accessory is connected. But when I play audio it pops and crackles and is pretty poor. My phone is fully up to date on IOS 5.0.1 and is an iPhone 4 32Gb? It also plays fine on my marantz dock in the house and a Bose sound dock??

What haven't I set up correctly in my new car??

Please can anybody help??

Many thanks, Jon.
BigJohnD   
Mon Nov 28 2011, 05:19pm

Member No: #82
Jfirth8187 wrote ...

Hi all, I've had my C4 VTR+ for around 5 days now and I'm struggling with my iPhone and iPad and their audio quality. So I've connected my iPhone by Bluetooth to the car and this give me my handsfree calling fine. I've then connected it to the car via the USB lead to the USB jack on the car for my music (I need this connection so I can manipulate the phone by the cars controls). The phone picks up the car and vice versa and says the accessory is connected. But when I play audio it pops and crackles and is pretty poor. My phone is fully up to date on IOS 5.0.1 and is an iPhone 4 32Gb? It also plays fine on my marantz dock in the house and a Bose sound dock??

Welcome to C4Owners.org, Jon.

The sound should be good on the RD5. (It is with my old 8Gb iPod Nano.)

I take it navigating around your playlists &c. is OK.

Can you try another iPod/USB wire, just to eliminate it if nothing else?

Otherwise, I'd recommend a visit your local Citroën dealer while your car is still brand new, get the fault logged and let them listen to the snap, crackle and pop. Could be a dud port, faulty wiring or dodgy radio unit.
wozza   
Mon Nov 28 2011, 05:59pm

Member No: #2
Daft question, but you aren't playing it back through the bluetooth are you? Definitely just going through the dock connector?

If you play back via bluetooth then the iPhones volume will still work so if it is cranked up it will distort and be generally rubbish. Via dock means the headunit does the processing not the iPhone.
Jfirth8187   
Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:18am
Thank you for your replies. I'll try a different lead today I haven't tried that.
Navigation around the playlists is fine.
I'll investigate the Bluetooth volume too and I'm going to the dealer later on get them to have a look at it I think?

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Jon.
kitjunky   
Thu Mar 08 2012, 02:39pm
Member No: #24347
Did you manage to resolve this issue? I've had my C4 VTR+ 2012 for one week and this audio problem is driving me nuts'

Intermittent breakup / micro dropouts and crackling on my iPod Touch 4.

I've tried 3 usb cables (one very short) all to no avail. CD & Radio are fine and bluetooth phone is excellent, but music is just poor.

Thanks Chris
wozza   
Thu Mar 08 2012, 03:07pm

Member No: #2
The crackling I think is just an iPod / iPhone issue.

My Alpine unit crackles with the iPhone as well, CD's are crystal clear though. Crackles both wired and through bluetooth.

iPod's just aren't that great sound quality wise.
kitjunky   
Thu Mar 08 2012, 03:22pm
The iPod works fine as an iPod and works/worked find on my hyundai i30 head unit so its not an iPod issue, I do have a sneaking suspicion that theres some interaction between usb iPod and bluetooth iPhone being connected at the same time. more testing required to confirm this theory though.

Chris
kitjunky   
Sun Apr 01 2012, 07:54am
Ok folks, having done much research , the iPod poor sound quality / clicking like a stuck record seems to be only related to the iOS based iPods. i.e. iPod touch / iPhones. an seems to have been an issue from iOS 4 onwards (this is when multi tasking started). this is affecting many different models and makes of car. I am now using a new iPod classic and all issues have gone away . so its thanks apple for breaking your premium iPods grrrrr

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member