or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

C4 2011 Fuel Consumption

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
DLJ   
Mon Nov 21 2011, 07:07am
Member No: #439
This subject seems to generate a lot of interest so thought that I would ask the question, the photos show why I am pleased with my 1.6 e HDI! This is the norm for me, yes I am light footed! grown out of the first to get to the next set of lights brigade, and includes a variety of road types and stop/start, cruising etc.

What are your views?

PentlandC4   
Mon Nov 21 2011, 07:21am
Member No: #13613
Sorry to raise this again, but if the trip computers don't have the same accuracy, then the displayed figure is hypothetical - measuring it via top-ups is the only way to accurately compare figures.

I took my C4 along the A702 from Edinburgh to Abington (the M74) on Saturday, keeping to the limits and making progress where required... and when we hit the motorway the computer was reading 70mpg after 36 miles. However... as the mpg display on my car is around 20% out, then the actual mpg was actually nearer 56mpg.
DLJ   
Mon Nov 21 2011, 07:50am
Member No: #439
You may be right but I have checked mine against filling up and filling again and it is near enough the same as the read out, but the 70 odd soon comes down after running around town, so it is a little bit of dreaming, but what ever is said I read the Auto Express reports and it is generally better than the cars that they test and raive about! Its strange how Fords are nearly always praised and Citroens ignored!
Am I alone in these thoughts or just a cynic!
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Nov 21 2011, 07:56am

Member No: #1
DLJ wrote ...

Its strange how Fords are nearly always praised and Citroens ignored!

Am I alone in these thoughts or just a cynic!

No your not alone

PentlandCC is comparing apples with pears though on this occasion as the New 2011 C4 which you have, has a much improved engine over what is in his car
PentlandC4   
Mon Nov 21 2011, 08:07am
I need to get myself that DS3...

Totally agree about the press. I used to buy CAR magazine, but eventually became frustrated by the motoring journalist mindset of German = faultless, Ford or Vauxhall = the next best thing... and then the usual baseless stereotypes about anything French.
BigJohnD   
Mon Nov 21 2011, 02:22pm

Member No: #82
For a more accurate mpg figure, you need to cover a couple of thousand miles, say three tankfuls.

60mpg is an achievable target, certainly in the summer.
Wotan   
Mon Nov 21 2011, 03:41pm
Hi Guys,

My 2011 C4 HDI 150 has averaged 47mpg in its 2600 miles from new. Registered on 6/7, it's had four cruise controlled (@ 70 mph approx) trips from Surrey to Fleetwood return , 500 odd miles in a day & one trip to Devon return (350 miles) in a day. I'm a fairly gentle driver but I've not been able to achieve better than 53 mpg. I hoping it will improve. Previously I ran an 04 reg 110hp HDI Xsara (chipped to 127hp) This was achieving 55-58 mpg depending on traffic.

Despite the loss of MPG, I'm loving the C4, It's very quiet on the motorway and very comfortable, much more refined than the Xsara ...it's the most rattle free Citroen I've had !! ( a GS, that dates me!, 5 Xantias, 1 C5 , 1 Xsara, & the wife has had a Saxo & a C3)

Just one problem with the c4 so far, a rattling exhaust heatshield and one recall (code MNM I think) to tighten clips on the turbo air intake.

Gerry
Jimux   
Tue Nov 29 2011, 11:42pm

Member No: #8137
Mine took over 12K miles to completely loosen up. And don't forget that diesels don't like cold weather. Use a winter weather shield below 10C to keep consumption down.
Wotan   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 02:19am
Yes, that was the case with my Xsara, much better as the miles went on. Regarding the winter weather shield..I'm reluctant to do that because, in their wisdom, Citroen have omitted to put a temperature gauge on the new C4, it only has warning light & it could be too late by the time you see that!

Gerry
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 02:59am

Wotan wrote ...

Yes, that was the case with my Xsara, much better as the miles went on. Regarding the winter weather shield..I'm reluctant to do that because, in their wisdom, Citroen have omitted to put a temperature gauge on the new C4, it only has warning light & it could be too late by the time you see that!

Gerry

Highly unlikely it will be a problem. There are other threads on it and at 15c on a motorway run the HDi's still run at a max of 3 bars.
BigJohnD   
Mon Jan 09 2012, 03:47pm

Did a thrash to Chatham and back to day. I'm very impressed with the figures - the engine's getting better now there's around 15,000 miles on the clock. The car's a manual diesel; all DIY, no electronic trickery here!

(Apols for the poor photos)

So around 40 litres used, and about 20 left in the tank, with a potential max range of 900. Not bad.

PS: The fuel was Sainsbury's diesel, bought from the store in Ellesmere Port, within spitting distance of Stanlow.
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jan 10 2012, 01:26am

Very good figures John. Not short of double what I would have got in the C6
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 BigJohnD (10 Jan 2012 : 03:32)
PentlandC4   
Tue Jan 10 2012, 07:04am
How're you getting on with the 90bhp engine, BJD?
BigJohnD   
Tue Jan 10 2012, 08:27am

PentlandC4 wrote ...

How're you getting on with the 90bhp engine, BJD?

It needs another 20hp.

To overtake at 70+ going uphill on the motorway requires a big boot on the pedal, and there's a frightening increase in fuel consumption.

It reminds me of driving my 2CV - serious anticipation is required to make good economical progress.
PentlandC4   
Tue Jan 10 2012, 03:06pm
Might get better as the engine gets older. I know what you mean though - the 110 bhp engine has legs.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member