or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

How do I clean the engine of my C4?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
NIKOC4   
Sun Nov 13 2011, 03:28pm
Hi guys... is anyone who knows how do I clean the engine of my car???? Do I have to use the hose with water or some other cleaning products????
Commodore   
Sun Nov 13 2011, 03:44pm
Member No: #21107
Steam cleaning is an option, but it is very important to keep clear of the electrics & sensors. It's much harder to steam clean modern car engines safely because of the increased electronic presence in the engine bay.

Personally, I'd just get a man in to hand clean and polish the engine bay, but I'm not bothered about it being dirty under there, as long as everything works.

ADMIN EDIT: The C4 has a notice in the engine bay, either stick on or cast into the fusebox cover saying NOT to use a hose/pressure wash in the engine bay.

trev h   
Sun Nov 13 2011, 04:00pm
Member No: #10864
Dont go near it with a hose pipe or pressure washer, just give all the black plastic bits & hoses a spray with WD40 you'll be amazed at the difference & wont notice the other dirty bits, it will take you all of 30 secs. & look 100%.
1 User said Thank You to trev h for this Post :
 Prasutagus (16 Nov 2011 : 04:27)
BigJohnD   
Sun Nov 13 2011, 06:02pm

Member No: #82

Don't start blasting about under the bonnet with a hose, a Kärcher or steam. Use a rag and a mild solvent.
Ballistic   
Mon Nov 14 2011, 01:49am
Member No: #16007
trev h wrote ...

Dont go near it with a hose pipe or pressure washer, just give all the black plastic bits & hoses a spray with WD40 you'll be amazed at the difference & wont notice the other dirty bits, it will take you all of 30 secs. & look 100%.

Erm...guys...please DO NOT use WD40 on anything rubbery (I personally do not use it on anything important that is plastic either), in particular rubber hoses or seals! WD40 tends to turn the rubber brittle (dries it out). I learned this hard way on motorcycle shock seals. I'd suggest a silicone cleaner spray instead.
trev h   
Mon Nov 14 2011, 03:21am
Member No: #10864
Iv'e been spraying engine bays with WD40 for a lot of years, had a volvo for 12yrs that i sprayed a couple of times a year, never had a pipe or anything else to my knowledge go brittle. I'm not saying soak it in the stuff just a light misting over, brings all black bits up gleaming & don't have to pre-clean them.
gmerry   
Mon Nov 14 2011, 04:25am
Member No: #11625
What's wrong with a slightly dirty engine bay. Personally I like a bit of grease/dirt on all the bare metal surface and fasteners. So I tend to spray a bit of Ferrosol on the fasteners until a film develops. Stops them rusting and means anything can be dismantled without dramas. I would just stick to wiping the engine covers/pipes with a cloth!

Regards
G
kipper   
Mon Nov 14 2011, 05:56am
With a dirty engine, you can see where the grease monkey touched it when it went in for servicing, by the wiped bits! If it's as dirty as it went in, they have not touched it.
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 Ollieoll (25 Jul 2013 : 05:19)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member