or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Changing wheels from 18" to standard 16" C4 GP 2L Exclusive

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
har0ld   
Sun Nov 06 2011, 06:19am
I have owned 2007 GP for approx 12 months and have just scraped through the MOT - because the tyres are almost completely worn to the indicators. The tyres are roughly 10 months old (Falkens) and are the low profile 215,45,18.
The car has only had motorway driving and the tyres have done less than 10k!!

My question is: can I change the wheels to the standard 16" with more conventional tyres (and costs) or is this not recommended?

branded tyres for these rims cost anything up to £250 per wheel and the Pirellis that I had prior to the Falkens didn't seem to wear any better, this and the ride is awful, the car shudders over every lump and bump and the road noise is pretty poor too.

Citroen dealer didn't think it was a good idea to change but I can't really see why? can anyone help?
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Nov 06 2011, 07:28am

Member No: #1
Before going any further, check that your insurance company will be happy with the change as the 'A' pillar plate specifies what your car should be fitted with.

The exclusive runs on XL (extra load) tyres and you will need to tell them what it is your considering as it will be classed as a 'modification'

Lower spec cars do run on 16" rims and tyres, so yes they will fit, but you need the right tyres.
routemaster1   
Sun Nov 06 2011, 07:38am
Member No: #574
C6 Dave wrote ...

The exclusive runs on XL (extra load) tyres and you will need to tell them what it is your considering as it will be classed as a 'modification'

The standard spec for Exclusives (until the 2011 model year) was 16" wheels, as my 2007 one had 17" Roskilde wheels fitted as options. The 17" and 18" had Extra Load tyres. Not sure what load ratings were available for 18" tyres but for Michelin the 17" are available as 91 or 95 Extra load. 16" standard are 93 rated and are the standard fitment.
trev h   
Sun Nov 06 2011, 08:07am
Member No: #10864
The 5 seat exclusive picasso 2.0hdi came with 17" volubilis as standard.
The GP 2.0hdi exclusive came with 17" roskilde as standard.
LX & SX came with 16" steel wheels, the VTR+ came with 16" Managua for the pic. the VTR+ GP came with 16" baikal.
routemaster1   
Sun Nov 06 2011, 10:35am
trev h wrote ...

The 5 seat exclusive picasso 2.0hdi came with 17" volubilis as standard.
The GP 2.0hdi exclusive came with 17" roskilde as standard.
LX & SX came with 16" steel wheels, the VTR+ came with 16" Managua for the pic. the VTR+ GP came with 16" baikal.

I'm sorry to disagree, but as far as I know all EC4Ps and C4GPs were originally fitted with 16" wheels as standard. The SX and LX (if any were actually sold) which had 16" steel wheels and I beleive the covers were called Volubis.

The 16" alloys were Baikal and Managua. I beleive the Managua was supposed to be fitted to C4Ps (including Exclusives) and the Baikal to all C4GPs (including Exclusives), although some cars were delivered with the 'wrong' wheels.

The 17" Roskilde and 18" Krakatoas were both extra cost options. I don't know which trim levels they were available with, but the were both definitely extra cost options when I bought mine new in 2007.

The Roskilde wheels became standard on Exclusives, as I said in my last post, and as far as I know, when the new version came in in 2010.

trev h   
Sun Nov 06 2011, 11:27am
Member No: #10864
Sorry for any confusion, just read the original post again & noticed it was a '07 vehicle, the info i had came from an old '09 brochure.

The Volubilis is listed as a 17" alloy, standard on the C4Ps exclusive, the steel wheels had Antigua or Lofoten covers, but citroen being citroen change everything around on a whim.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Nov 06 2011, 01:05pm

trev h wrote ...

The Volubilis is listed as a 17" alloy, standard on the C4Ps exclusive, the steel wheels had Antigua or Lofoten covers, but citroen being citroen change everything around on a whim.

Which is why the original poster needs to check what the sticker on the drivers door 'A' pillar says before doing anything........
routemaster1   
Sun Nov 06 2011, 02:25pm
C6 Dave wrote ...

trev h wrote ...

The Volubilis is listed as a 17" alloy, standard on the C4Ps exclusive, the steel wheels had Antigua or Lofoten covers, but Citroen being Citroen change everything around on a whim.

Which is why the original poster needs to check what the sticker on the drivers door 'A' pillar says before doing anything........

The Volubilis wheel appears to be a 17" wheel fitted to C4s, not C4Ps or C4GPs. The only 17" wheels fitted as standard or options were Roskildes. However they should fit fine. The ones with the curly spokes rather like the Volubilis fitted to C4Ps were the Managuas.

However I agree that there needs to be more investigation before proceeding.
neilos   
Sun Nov 06 2011, 03:10pm
Member No: #209
When I first had my 2007 Exclusive GP the wheels were 16'' Managuas.....the car was originally specced with the Baikals but there was a problem with the supply and they had to use Managuas for a while.
Either way the tyre size was 215 55 16 and there should be no reason these will not fit your car...have a look on ebay.
I then picked up a second hand set of 17'' Roskilde rims and stuck these on instead.

16'' rims will fit no problem and the tyre size is as above, PCD is 108 and you need 4 stud wheels.

Neil
chrispatch   
Sun Nov 06 2011, 04:19pm
Member No: #7033
har0ld wrote ...

I have owned 2007 GP for approx 12 months and have just scraped through the MOT - because the tyres are almost completely worn to the indicators. The tyres are roughly 10 months old (Falkens) and are the low profile 215,45,18.
The car has only had motorway driving and the tyres have done less than 10k!!

My question is: can I change the wheels to the standard 16" with more conventional tyres (and costs) or is this not recommended?

branded tyres for these rims cost anything up to £250 per wheel and the Pirellis that I had prior to the Falkens didn't seem to wear any better, this and the ride is awful, the car shudders over every lump and bump and the road noise is pretty poor too.

Citroen dealer didn't think it was a good idea to change but I can't really see why? can anyone help?

Very interesting post this is to me as I have much the same idea I have a c4p Exclusive o8 plate on 18" krakatoas. Although I have the original Michelins still fitted with about 3 mill tread left after 27,000. But was considering getting some 16 or 17 wheels to replace the 18's. Although the ride is not too bad I thought it could probably be improved, and as you say the cost for 18" tyres is horrific. Thanks for all the good posted replies, and they are worth consideration
wozza   
Sun Nov 06 2011, 05:28pm

Member No: #2
To be honest the tyre prices aren't that far apart once you get the correct ratings. It is the XL tyres that cause the price to go up so much.

As an Idea the Falken on the 18" profile is £100. In the 16" profile it's £83.

Really not a huge saving in terms of tyre costs. Just go to someone like Camskill and get the tyres delivered then get a local place to put them on. What I do. Get my tyres much cheaper and local place is £5 a tyre to fit and balance.
1 User said Thank You to wozza for this Post :
 chrispatch (07 Nov 2011 : 13:53)
FrankBullitt   
Mon Nov 07 2011, 07:19am

Member No: #19238
routemaster1 wrote ...
C6 Dave wrote ...
trev h wrote ...

The Volubilis is listed as a 17" alloy, standard on the C4Ps exclusive, the steel wheels had Antigua or Lofoten covers, but Citroen being Citroen change everything around on a whim.

The Volubilis wheel appears to be a 17" wheel fitted to C4s, not C4Ps or C4GPs. The only 17" wheels fitted as standard or options were Roskildes. However they should fit fine. The ones with the curly spokes rather like the Volubilis fitted to C4Ps were the Managuas.

However I agree that there needs to be more investigation before proceeding.

The Volubilis is a 17" alloy fitted to 2011MY C4 Picasso Exclusive, only the C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive has Roskilides.

Looking at Camskill the 18" tyres appear to be rated at either 89 or 93 - if 93 is sufficient Toyo Proxi's would be worth a punt as they are widely regarded on most forums I use across a number of brands

Word of warning if going for 16's - the Michelin Premacy's are about £140 fitted anyway so hardly cheaper than Toyo's with the 18" wheels!
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Nov 07 2011, 08:32am

FrankBullitt wrote ...
C6 Dave wrote ...

the original poster needs to check what the sticker on the drivers door 'A' pillar says before doing anything........

The Volubilis is a 17" alloy fitted to 2011MY C4 Picasso Exclusive, only the C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive has Roskilides. Have a look at the current brochure

Looking at Camskill the 18" tyres appear to be rated at either 89 or 93 - if 93 is sufficient Toyo Proxi's would be worth a punt as they are widely regarded on most forums I use across a number of brands: - Click Here -

Word of warning if going for 16's - the Michelin Premacy's are about £140 fitted anyway so hardly cheaper than Toyo's with the 18" wheels!

Specifications have changed constantly since launch back in 2007. Assuming that the latest spec sheet is what to refer to is wrong I'm afraid.

Oh and there all available on site in the archive here: - Click Here -

BTW I have used Toto Proxes in the past on the C4 and whilst pretty good for the money, had a fairly high wear rate and not as good as the Falken 912 ZE
har0ld   
Thu Nov 10 2011, 03:08pm
Hi folks - the car stickers are for 18" wheels - insurance aside is there likely to be any set up difference on the car if I were to fit the smaller rims with appropriate tyres?

I can't see that Citroen would have bothered to make any changes to the basic car in order to accommodate the 18" instead of the 16 0r 17" - I would prefer to do this officially if I can.

I'm not sure where the hardly any difference in price is coming from?..... I am not prepared to use the Falkens again, nor the Pirellis, i need the tyres to last this time so am looking at either the Michelin or the Bridgestone, these are considerably dearer on the 18" than on either the 17 or 16" and I wouldn't mind betting that the wear on a deeper tyre will be better than it is on my current low profile 18" ones.
wozza   
Fri Nov 11 2011, 02:26am

Member No: #2
Wear won't really be any different. The tread is still the same amount around 9mm. The GP is a big heavy car it tends to use tyres quickly.

As a rough idea mine has the 16's and currently has Michelins fitted. Might get 15k out of them.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member