or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

The dreaded, deaded turbo?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dixter   
Sat Oct 29 2011, 06:55am
Looks like the blower on our '08 C4P has thrown in the towel - driving home from Leicester on thursday afternoon the car faltered a couple of times, then picked up for half a mile or so, then would only give us 40mph on the flat.

Couldn't really stop so I nursed the car into Melton Mowbray, during which time the De-pollution warning flashed up, along with the hill-brake (auto hold thingy) warning and ' ESP' unavailable.

RAC arrived on the scene where fault codes for EGR and EDR* showed up on the computer. On thinking it was just the EGR valve I wasn't too worried but there is a rather worrying noise from around the turbocharger which rises and faills according to engine revs. It also rattles at idle which it didn't before. There's also a bit of soot around the turbo's housing. Car's done around 50k miles and is about 4 months out of warranty.

Hopefully getting the car towed up to Lincoln Citroen on monday - I'm reluctant to take the car to an independent garage simply because they may not understand the full procedure for replacing the turbo, replacing gauzes/cleaning etc.

For a bit of peace of mind, does the above pretty much sound like a failed turbo?

Apologies for a cry for help on my first posting, although I have done a good search around what looks like a fabulous forum and source of info.

Thanks.

*Can't remember if it was EDR - the RAC guy was a bit baffled as not seen that one before. Familiar with EGR though.
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Oct 29 2011, 12:06pm

Member No: #1
It does seem like it could be a failed turbo I'm afraid.

Is it a 1.6 or 2.0 HDi?
Dixter   
Sat Oct 29 2011, 01:29pm
C6 Dave wrote ...

It does seem like it could be a failed turbo I'm afraid.

Is it a 1.6 or 2.0 HDi?

Hi Dave - it's a 1.6 which had previously been running beautifully. In fact I'd still maintain it's a little peach of an engine. Still - while trying to see the glass as half-full here - in nearly 300k miles in Citroens over the years this is the first proper breakdown we've had. Despite this relatively catastrophic incident, I'd still buy the same car again. If the repair bill is too much we'l be giving serious consideration to trading the car in.

Looking around under the bonnet (I'm not a great tech-head with cars - bikes are more my thing) there's a large build-up of blackened oil around the intercooler pipes and down onto the alternator. There's also some soot appeared on the turbo's housing. The car has fsh by the way.

The car's being picked up at 8am on Monday so hopefully we'll know by the end of the week what the d£mage is.
Dixter   
Mon Oct 31 2011, 06:13am
Well, the car's been picked up and should now be in the hands of our Citroen dealer - they're going to look at it this afternoon and get back to us. Strange thing is that on starting the car up this morning - had to (reluctantly) do so to move it round the driveway and out onto the road for the breakdown truck - the engine was sounding pretty quiet.

The chap in the truck, in his own words 'that doesn't sound like a duffed turbo - normally they make much more racket than that'. Hmmmm...we'll see.
BigJohnD   
Mon Oct 31 2011, 06:37am

Member No: #82
Hope it's not too serious
FrankBullitt   
Mon Oct 31 2011, 09:09am

Member No: #19238
BigJohnD wrote ...

Hope it's not too serious

Agree with that.

I'm wondering if it is a disconnected / cracked pipe on the turbo - hopefully the hair-dryer will still be fine.
Dixter   
Mon Oct 31 2011, 09:25am
Thanks guys.

Frank - it could well be what you're saying; for some time there's been slight oil-mist around the rubber pipework leading to the top of the intercooler which I was told wasn't too much to worry about although to 'keep an eye on it'. After the breakdown there was significantly more so I'm wondering if the car's diagnostics put the car into limp mode for some reason related to this; the ESP and anti-pollution warnings lighting up just a mile or 2 after the power loss. Just a shot in the dark mind.
ror100   
Mon Oct 31 2011, 04:59pm
Hi Dixter,
I recently had my EGR valve fail, and the ESP/ASR fault showed on that. I think it's one of the more common ones the engine just throws up for good measure

I hope the turbo problem is easily solved. Do keep us up to date, and I would press Citroen for a contribution towards costs if it's a big one - you may get lucky.
Dixter   
Tue Nov 01 2011, 12:31pm
Thanks for the support guys - appreciate it.

Well, Citroen dealer has just been on the blower (sic) and it's not good news. Heavily carboned-up oil feed pipes, leaking injector and lubrication failure to the turbo. Needs new oil feed pipe(s) and a fair few other bits'n'pieces including full engine flush and new oil. Turbo is, needless to say, fubar'd.

Weighing up in our minds as to whether we investigate what the car's worth as a part-ex on something else (the dealer's a multi-franchise place) or bite the bullet and get all the work done, keep it for another 2-3 years and hope the car wins back our faith in it.

At least the work, if done by the Citroen dealer, should be warranted for a year.

Oh...the price they've quoted us includes a 10% discount which, seeing what it's going to cost, I don't know if to laugh or cry!
fernandofan2008   
Tue Nov 01 2011, 01:00pm
Member No: #21352
whats the cost if you dont mind me asking? I mean, if there is a way of proving the problem has been occuring over a fair amount of time, id press citroen on it because if its been a fault with a manufactured component, warranty or not, id try arguing with em.
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Nov 01 2011, 01:41pm

fernandofan2008 wrote ...

id press citroen on it because if its been a fault with a manufactured component, warranty or not, id try arguing with em.

If it's 'carboned' up oil feed pipes then it's more likely going to be down to poor servicing and/or the use of non low saps oil

As it's a 2008 can you confirm the date first registered and the mileage and if you bought the car new or used?

If used, when did you buy it and who from, Main Dealer or not and did it have a full Citroen Service history?
Dixter   
Tue Nov 01 2011, 01:58pm
C6 Dave wrote ...

If it's 'carboned' up oil feed pipes then it's more likely going to be down to poor servicing and/or the use of non low saps oil

As it's a 2008 can you confirm the date first registered and the mileage and if you bought the car new or used?

If used, when did you buy it and who from, Main Dealer or not and did it have a full Citroen Service history?

Dave - the car was purchased by us in Oct '08 and it's a July '08 registered. Approved used Citroen from Sportif in Chalfont who we bought our previous 3 new Citroens from and have been good to us over the years. The car had done approx 5k when we bought it, now just gone through 50k.

Car had full Citroen service history up until mid last year, then the most recent 2 services (at 33k & 44k) being carried out by an independent garage. Wouldn't be surprised if this lead to the poor turbo's demise.

The list of new parts required for the repair to the car isn't short - we won't have any change out of £2.5k which on the surface of it sounds crazy. Still, before I authorise any work I'm making sure there's a completely itemised list of parts used.
fernandofan2008   
Tue Nov 01 2011, 02:30pm
Member No: #21352
Dixter wrote ...

C6 Dave wrote ...

Dave - the car was purchased by us in Oct '08 and it's a July '08 registered. Approved used Citroen from Sportif in Chalfont who we bought our previous 3 new Citroens from and have been good to us over the years. The car had done approx 5k when we bought it, now just gone through 50k.

Car had full Citroen service history up until mid last year, then the most recent 2 services (at 33k & 44k) being carried out by an independent garage. Wouldn't be surprised if this lead to the poor turbo's demise.

The list of new parts required for the repair to the car isn't short - we won't have any change out of £2.5k which on the surface of it sounds crazy. Still, before I authorise any work I'm making sure there's a completely itemised list of parts used.

Really sorry to hear that. Couldnt you then approach the independent garage? 50k millage for a turbo is nothing, and if you've had it regularly serviced there should be somewhere or something you can do. Especially if they are citroen independants
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Nov 02 2011, 02:19am

Because it's only 4 months out of the original warranty and average mileage for it's age it's worth contacting Citroen via the dealer to see if they will make any contribution to the repairs.
gmerry   
Wed Nov 02 2011, 03:05am
Member No: #11625
Myself, I'd be looking around for a good independent garage to carry out the necessary repairs - unless Citroen really were to stump up with a significant contribution.

I think we have established on this forum that the correct Garrett turbocharger brand new complete with new oil feed pipe can be had for around £650 for the 1.6HDi. Add in new oil pump inlet strainer, new vacuum pump and other ancillary parts and materials costs should only be £800 or so. Labour will be say 10 hours at whatever your good independent charges (say £600) and the total job should be less than £1500. This includes removing sump and ensuring engine/oil system is not full of debris.

NB, does the Citroen quote include for removal and replacement of the engine oil pump?. You should ask them

Regards
G
1 User said Thank You to gmerry for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (12 Jan 2012 : 04:36)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member