or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

C4GP ambience interior lights

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
MIM   
Sat Oct 29 2011, 05:38am
Member No: #3298
I have a 2008 C4GP Exclusive with the orange glowing interior 'ambience' lights, controlled by a switch beneath the dashboard.

For 3.5 years they have been working fine but just recently they stopped working. When I switch on the headlights, the interior ambience lights do not work. I've tried pressing the control switch on each side but they don't come on - but the little switch itself glows a lovely orange as before!

What's bizarre is that when I switch off the engine and all the interior courtesy lights come on automatically, then the orange ambience lights come on along with all the other interior lights, just as they are supposed to!!

Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong and how I could fix it?

Thanks
trev h   
Sat Oct 29 2011, 06:37am
Member No: #10864
Looking in the handbook it says that using the little orange switch you can, activate/deactivate the lighting - select the lighting intensity, just been & checked mine & they are on all the time, cant adjust the intensity or switch them on or off, also there is a spot around the passenger glovebox where there is no light at all, (not really worried as i think they are a gimmick anyway) Iv'e looked in the car setup & cant see anywhere to change the configuration, so all i can think of is a dirty switch, might be worth giving it a spray of switch cleaner, as for mine it will stay as it is.

UPDATE

It helps if you RTFI. Looking at the handbook it says the ambiance lighting is part of the courtesy lighting, so back out to the car & switching the courtesy light off/on the mood lighting was working again, allthough there wasn't a specific setting that it worked in, just played around opening & closing the door till courtesy light went off, or switching the roof switch off/on.

Might be worth giving that a play with first.
MIM   
Mon Oct 31 2011, 08:28am
Thanks Trev h
I have looked in the handbook several times and also tried your suggestion about playing around with the courtesy light switch in the roof and opening the doors, but it still doesn't work.

I'm not sure if the ambience lighting is part of the courtesy lighting, because when I open the doors the ambience works fine for a few seconds until it goes off when all the courtesy lights go off. Also it has a separate heading in the handbook.

The issue is that the ambience lighting won't come on when I switch on the exterior lights, or when the sensor in the car detects the outside is dark, as it used to.

So perhaps it's the switch, I haven't tried your suggestion of switch cleaner yet, what is that? Do you mean WD40 or something specific?
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Oct 31 2011, 08:41am

Member No: #1
MIM wrote ...

So perhaps it's the switch, I haven't tried your suggestion of switch cleaner yet, what is that? Do you mean WD40 or something specific?

Electrical switch cleaner, not WD40
MIM   
Sun Nov 13 2011, 10:46am
Thanks C6Dave, I tried electrical switch cleaner but it didn't help.

I looked at the downloadable document archive to see if I could find anything on this. There are a couple of documents called "C4 Picasso interior lighting - operating guide & operating principles" which tell you how the interior lighting is supposed to work but I couldn't find anything specific about the wiring or how the switch works. Is there anything I'm missing?

I decided to dig around and see if I could identify the problem. I prised the whole orange switch unit out of the dash, and then prised it open. One part is the orange plastic cover, the other is a small circuit board attached to a housing where the wires come in. I sprayed the switch cleaner all around but still no result.

The switch unit has a number on it: 96 629 210 XT 53269792 103d 040308 and there are 4 wires coming from inside the dash which plug into it: a yellow; a green/yellow; a red; and a white.

Anyone have any ideas I would be able to somehow replace this switch for a new one? Do these 4 wires coming from inside the dash pull out of the switch? I wasn't sure and tried prising them out, they seemed to be in connector of a rubbery material whereas the switch mechanism is a harder plastic. But I was scared of breaking anything so I stopped when they didn't come out easily.
MIM   
Sun Nov 27 2011, 02:54pm
Hi

Anyone have any ideas on this yet?

What could be causing the problem?

Should I get a new switch?

Thanks
JohnC4GP   
Mon Nov 28 2011, 04:53am
Member No: #15026
Next Step would probably be to try another switch. They are only £35 from the dealer.
trugup   
Tue May 21 2013, 04:22pm
Member No: #30493
im having exactly the same symptoms as your self have taken it back to the local citroen dealer (who doesn't fill me with any confidence) who could, nt sought it out, they said they have been in touch with citroen technical, and their answer was its been deleted from the software to save on battery life, sounds like a put off to me, am still trying to get specific drawings to this particular circuitry but to no avail, its not your switch mine tests ok.

I wander if we have had a software update at some time which didnt include the ambience correctly i will let you know if i have any sucess
MIM   
Wed May 22 2013, 02:55pm
Thanks trugup, looking forward to hearing how you get on.
fornal123   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 07:27am
Member No: #34556
Hi Guys,
I am first time on this web page... Really nice page. I have found it when I was looking for how to solve a problem with ambient light in interior of my c4 picasso 2008. I have read above and my problem seems to be the same as MIM posted. Generalny there is a problem to find more information which concern this issue, there is not to much cars with this equipment. There is nothing interesting in polish forums therefore I am here.
Somebody mentioned above that it could be a reason of bad condition of battery... Have anybody found more news in this matter? I will be gratefull for any advise... Regards.
looxuser   
Tue Dec 05 2017, 05:21pm
Member No: #30245
can anyone confirm or otherwise that the ambient lights remain on at night in their c4 picasso please?
moleman   
Wed Dec 06 2017, 09:25am
Member No: #16299
looxuser wrote ...

can anyone confirm or otherwise that the ambient lights remain on at night in their c4 picasso please?

Do you mean when you are driving? Then Yes mine stay on.
looxuser   
Wed Dec 06 2017, 05:32pm
Member No: #30245
Mine don't for some reason the used too but no longer, I replaced the "light pack" module and used lexia but could not find anything in Lexia to enable them, perhaps i wasn't looking in the right place.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member