or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

C4 Plastic cover lower windscreen seal

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Jun 19 2011, 07:17am

Member No: #1
Can't remember who, but someone made a bracket to support it and there is a thread with an image somewhere..............
PentlandC4   
Sun Jun 19 2011, 07:23am
Member No: #13613
Well remember Dave. This is the thread:
ADY wrote:

Hi All , I have also had this problem on my 07 c4 hatch ,and after 7 yes 7 visits and 11 days off the road they finally fixed it ,,,,

For 1 day then it fell off again .

After a heated chat with the manager and the customer service manager they had the car for another 2 days and if like magic its fixed, oh no it isn't .

So i done it my self in 35mins 6 weeks ago and it is still ok .

the whole panel is to heavy for it to support its self so i made a bracket that fits between the panel and the air filter lid took one screw out of the lid to hold one end and drilled one hole the other end to fix to panel sorted .

I have spoken to the garage since and they asked me if i would like a job ,but offered no apology

hope this may help some of you .Ady

Looks like that might be the only solution for mine. The fact that the sound deadening is sodden doesn't help, and it doesn't look like it'll dry out this summer!

1 User said Thank You to PentlandC4 for this Post :
 BigJohnD (13 Jul 2011 : 16:04)
festa   
Wed Jul 13 2011, 03:53pm
Hi there peeps, I'm a windscreen fitter so do these a lot. Best way is to remove scuttle completely. You'll find three clips 1 long one that sits in the middle of glass and the other two sit on the straight bits after the curves from middle, if they not on glass they prob stuck on scuttle look underneath.

Best way to re-attach is to push the clip's on glass when on spray with glass cleaner and push the scuttle into clip should sort of pop in, you will know what way to put on because clip will have a larger gap and a smaller gap. Hope this makes some sort of sense.
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (14 Jul 2011 : 00:22)
Clivey   
Thu Sep 29 2011, 08:56am
Member No: #1742
C6 Dave wrote ...

@ StuntmanM, there is a printable version of the post with images here: - Click Here -

This is a well known and discussed issue which is important because if the lower edge is not on the screen properly it can let water drip onto the ABS ECU area

Don't take any waffle from the dealer.

Hi Dave,

I've previously read (when I asked about my my own car that has suffered from this - you may or may not remember) that this issue wouldn't cause any serious problems, but now that you've said it could, it's given me a kick in the backside to get it sorted.

My question is: If this is a potentially serious issue that affects a number of vehicles (another family member has just bought a 2007 Hatch that also has the fault too), should Citroen cover at least some of the cost of rectification? - Especially as it would appear to be a design fault rather than the owners damaging / misusing their car.
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Sep 29 2011, 10:12am

Member No: #1
Initially we didn't think it much of a problem until it was pointed out that water could get onto electrics under the bonnet................

However is it a design fault?

There is a clip underneath to hold it in place, so how do you know if it wasn't secured at the factory, or dislodged during subsequent cleaning etc.?
Clivey   
Thu Sep 29 2011, 10:28am
C6 Dave wrote ...

Initially we didn't think it much of a problem until it was pointed out that water could get onto electrics under the bonnet................

However is it a design fault?

That was my musing...

C6 Dave wrote ...
There is a clip underneath to hold it in place, so how do you know if it wasn't secured at the factory, or dislodged during subsequent cleaning etc.?

...all I know in actual fact is that in my job, if I built a computer system containing a part so fragile that it failed in a relatively high proportion of cases, my customers would (rightly) expect me to resolve the issue free of charge - and I would do so.

It's these (admittedly minor) issues that give PSA cars a bad name for quality. Mine's never failed me and left me stranded (unlike friends' supposedly "premium" German cars), but every time I mention a minor electrical / trim issue, I get the usual comments about French cars being poorly built etc.

They really need to get these things nailed if they do want to move upmarket and take the fight to VW etc.
NotFrench   
Thu Sep 29 2011, 11:18am
Member No: #86
I also have this problem on my five year old Coupé (I have posted before about it) but I also coincidentally have a cracked windscreen now, and when I get it replaced it will be interesting to see if and how the screen fitters rectify this loose seal problem. I will be having a cheaper, non-Citroen version of the screen fitted by my Citroen dealer, but if the seal comes loose again soon after the new screen is put in, it will give me a valid opportunity to insist that the dealer fix the seal properly at their time and expense.
Grumpy GrandPa   
Thu Sep 29 2011, 03:04pm
Member No: #10746
My diesel 1.6hdi hasn't room for that bracket - so I have wedged a piece of plastic underneath to keep the plastic and the seal in place... work well...
Clivey   
Thu Sep 29 2011, 06:30pm
Hi all,

Just thought I'd give a quick update: Due to my first house purchase last year, I haven't exactly had lots of money to throw at the car and so the trim around my windscreen has remained in the same state as in the pictures I posted earlier in this thread. However, I do intend to get it sorted as and when funds allow.

However, if I just replace the trim, my concern is that the same thing will repeatedly happen. I have seen the photo that's doing the rounds of a home made bracket to support the scuttle panel (the piece of plastic where the wipers join the car at the base of the windscreen), but that car was a 1.6 petrol with a different layout under the bonnet, and as mine's a HDI the bracket won't fit.

I'm interested in constructing a similar bracket for my car, but the question is: "Where do I start?" Any ideas?
gmerry   
Fri Sep 30 2011, 03:34am
Member No: #11625
Hi all, I've got a diesel and had the same problem and yes after a replacement screen the fitter's did not refit the clips correctly and after I had refitted the scuttle clips they keep coming loose and letting a lot of water in.

Eventually I got so fed up with it I glued it all in place using glass silicon glue-sealant (a very good brand not some cheap rubbish). All the glass and plastic was degreased with acetone. Bricks provided weighting on the corners while the sealant set. Wedged up underneath with wood on top of engine cover. Left overnight etc.

This has worked and maintained a proper seal.

Regards
G
1 User said Thank You to gmerry for this Post :
 Clivey (30 Sep 2011 : 08:48)
Clivey   
Fri Sep 30 2011, 08:47am
gmerry wrote ...

Hi all, I've got a diesel and had the same problem and yes after a replacement screen the fitter's did not refit the clips correctly and after I had refitted the scuttle clips they keep coming loose and letting a lot of water in.

Eventually I got so fed up with it I glued it all in place using glass silicon glue-sealant (a very good brand not some cheap rubbish). All the glass and plastic was degreased with acetone. Bricks provided weighting on the corners while the sealant set. Wedged up underneath with wood on top of engine cover. Left overnight etc.

This has worked and maintained a proper seal.

Regards
G

Good to know.

How long has this repair lasted so far?
gmerry   
Fri Sep 30 2011, 10:36am
Member No: #11625
1.78 years (slipped down the screen about 5mm but still sealing)

Regards
G
MevC4vtr   
Sun Oct 02 2011, 12:55pm
My panel was ok until the car went in for the boot recall. The mechanic must of leant on the panel while he was checking the engine(His hand print was on it), and now it just keeps dropping off the bottom of the glass. I've thought of using superbond pva glue, but not sure it will work.
coliver07   
Tue Oct 25 2011, 12:53am
So you guys would recommend a clear silicone sealant if the invisable clip can not be found??
MevC4vtr   
Tue Oct 25 2011, 05:36am
I've used Araldite fusion glue from Halfords. So far so good.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member