or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

2011 New C4 long term road test

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
basil-furface   
Sun Sep 11 2011, 06:43am
I am canvassing interest on the level of demand for a long term road test of the 2011 C4.

Also, what would you guys and girls like to see addressed as specific areas for scrutiny?

I am due to take delivery of a 1.6 Airdream EGS Exclusive in October, on a 3 year corporate lease.

Previous cars include Citroen BX XM and C5 (2), Ford Mondeo (3) Sierra and Cortina, Vauxhall Vectra and Signum, Rover 75, Saab 9-5, Mercedes E S and ML classes, BMW 5 and 7 series, Fiat Panda, to name a few. V6, V8, petrol, diesel, hatchbacks, estates, manual and conventional auto boxes all represented. I am 6'5" tall and very particular about ergonomics, ease of use, dealer attitude, economy and creature-comforts. Given my previous cars - on the large side, I admit - I feel I have plenty of experience against which to judge the new C4.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Sep 11 2011, 10:59am

Member No: #1
Any user road tests are more than welcome.

My original was over 4.5 years and 97,000 miles and more 'blog' style with the various dates/mileage points - Click Here -

A few others were started but never totally completed (apart from BigJohnD's who did circa 88,000 before he traded his C4 for a 2011 one)
BigJohnD   
Tue Sep 20 2011, 10:52am

Member No: #82
My nouvelle 60 plate C4 (1.6HDi 92 manual VTR+) is going in for its first 12,500 miles service tomorrow.

There is nothing report, other than nothing has failed (other than a rear light), fallen off or broken, and the trip computer shows 58.8mpg over the last 5,000+ miles.

I miss the big central speedo, fixed steering wheel controls, the auto-lights and auto-wipers, and the seat isn't as big and comfy as the old VTR+, but the car feels better built. In fact a friend, to whom I gave a lift, thought he was in an Audi, and he was serious.
basil-furface   
Fri Nov 04 2011, 02:36am
Arrived yesterday. 1.6 eHDi Exclusive in Black with every extra (except spacesaver spare wheel).
First impressions good. (I had not test driven one before ordering, but made an 'educated guess', just from sitting in one, that it would be the right car for me).

Good points - very quiet engine on cold start, not only inside but also outside the car. Very un-diesel like, even compared to common rail units from 5 years ago. Very quiet drive. Good range of seat adjustments for a 6'5" driver. Pleasantly surprised at electric lumbar adjustment that adjusts for height as well as firmness. Amazed at instant and unobtrusive nature of stop-start engine function.

Criticisms - LHD wiper configuration means the RHD driver has a smaller field of view than the passenger. The drivers side clears to a lower height and to a narrower width than the passengers side. Denon upgrade stereo less crisp than I expected. I would liken it to a good-enough system on a premium car, but by no means brilliant. I could imagine a degree of listening fatigue with broadcast signals on long journeys. Have yet to try CD source though. Rear headroom VERY SERIOUSLY COMPROMISED by roller blind cover for panoramic sunroof.

I predict anyone of 5'10" height or more will find it irritating or impossible. It is much lower than non- sunroof cars!!! High quality cabin finish does not extend to the boot, which has cheap trim that I can imagine will soon show signs of wear.

Despite my criticisms taking more space than my good points, I am still very happy with the car.
3 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 PPP7 (04 Nov 2011 : 02:46) , Dave_Retired. (04 Nov 2011 : 02:54) , PentlandC4 (04 Nov 2011 : 08:09)
jon2CV   
Tue Nov 29 2011, 05:00pm
BigJohnD wrote ...

In fact a friend, to whom I gave a lift, thought he was in an Audi, and he was serious.

Is the new C4 THAT boring inside? Oh dear.
BigJohnD   
Tue Nov 29 2011, 05:43pm

jon2CV wrote ...

Is the new C4 THAT boring inside? Oh dear.

I prefer conventional.
patch   
Sun Sep 09 2012, 04:35pm
Personally prefer it to the even more boring VW and Audi interiors.
French cars have style.
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 BigJohnD (08 Feb 2013 : 06:09)
marvintheandroid   
Fri Feb 08 2013, 05:49am
Member No: #29259
basil-furface wrote ...

Rear headroom VERY SERIOUSLY COMPROMISED by roller blind cover for panoramic sunroof.

I predict anyone of 5'10" height or more will find it irritating or impossible. It is much lower than non- sunroof cars!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with comment about panoramic roof cover lowering the rear headroom in C4 hatch. CITROEN should really make this VERY CLEAR in the vehicle configurator and advertising materials, especially since none of the dealers seem to keep cars with glass roofs for test driving !! There does not seem to be mention of it anywhere. Had I known this in advance it would have influenced my options.

Luckily it is mostly kids in the back, but come on Citroen, step up to the mark !
BigJohnD   
Fri Feb 08 2013, 06:12am

marvintheandroid wrote ...

CITROEN should really make this VERY CLEAR in the vehicle configurator and advertising materials, especially since none of the dealers seem to keep cars with glass roofs for test driving !! There does not seem to be mention of it anywhere. Had I known this in advance it would have influenced my options.

You need to feed this back to Citroen: - Click Here - (Hope that link works - I'm never certain with those flash based sites.)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member