or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

Conflicting reviews of the DS4

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
CamM   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 07:31am

Member No: #19249
I've been checking out a few video reviews of the DS4 this evening and I'm beginning to think that Citroen must be selling 2 different cars in the UK under the "DS4" brand name. Check out these 2 video reviews and you'll see what I mean...

Review 1

Review 2

Tre confusing?
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 08:24am

Member No: #1
Didn't actually find much difference in the reviews apart from the 'handling' and that is down to personal preference

I much prefer the views of people who actually buy and run a car to journalists being given a freebie ride for a few hours
CamM   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 08:55am

You've spotted exactly what I picked up on Dave. One indicates it handles quite well, feels quite tight and gives great feedback through the steering. The other reckons the steering is pretty lifeless and the car suffers quite a lot from body roll. So which is it? The two descriptions are poles apart. For the average punter who wants to know a bit about the car before putting it on their short list, they'll no doubt want to check out a few reviews. But these ones make it seem like the DS4 has a Jekyll and Hyde complex when it comes to ride and handling!

Completely agree with you though when it comes to taking an owner's real world review over that of some journo who spends 15mins with the car.
wozza   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 09:36am

Member No: #2
They don't roll around that much at all. Few of us on here have driven them. Handling etc is rather good. Suppose it depends on the model you try though.

Main annoyance were just rear leg room. It also felt smaller up front that my coupe too.
Ham   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 12:14pm

Member No: #69
I drove one and thought it handled and braked well, not much body roll, but having the drivers seat how i like it i found the rear was cramped compared to the C4 and i can see a lot of people banging their heads on the door frame getting in and out of the rear!
BigJohnD   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 12:15pm

Member No: #82
I'm disappointed the DS4 doesn't really excite in the way the DS3 does.
SP36   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 03:42pm
BigJohnD wrote ...

Agreed. In reality they don't look as good in the photos. But that's just my opinion.

And rear windows that don't open?
CamM   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 10:34pm

BigJohnD wrote ...

It's meant to be the "luxury" model rather than the "sports" model though isn't it?

SP36 wrote ...

And rear windows that don't open?

Yeah, I'm not too sure about that whole rear windows not opening deal. Wouldn't really bother me as a driver, but I can imagine it is a nuisance for rear passengers.
wozza   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 11:15pm

Member No: #2
Even as a luxury model it still needs another 50-100hp and lowering. There is no reason for the ride height, tall cars that aren't 4x4's are not a good look. It is after all based on a regular car chassis.

If they had turned it into a 3 door, gave it normal ride height and more power it would then have been a proper replacement for the Coupe. At which point I may have been interested. As a 3 door car you can forgive it for having less leg room in the back. A 5 door car you can't.
CamM   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 11:32pm

Wozza wrote ...

If they had turned it into a 3 door, gave it normal ride height and more power it would then have been a proper replacement for the Coupe. At which point I may have been interested. As a 3 door car you can forgive it for having less leg room in the back. A 5 door car you can't.

Can't fault your reasoning there. That being said, I was under the impression that the DS4 was not really meant to be a replacement for the VTS/coupe. Rather, that honour had (in effect) been bestowed upon the DS3.
Stuey   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 03:46am
Member No: #84
I don't think even Citroen know where it sits in the grand scheme of things, DS3 is to small for a Coupe replacement. C4 well, its vanilla. DS4 looks good but needs its suspension chopping off. It works for a person like me ie no kids and dont really need to carry a lot of stuff
CamM   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 04:22am

Stuey wrote ...

I don't think even Citroen know where it sits in the grand scheme of things, DS3 is to small for a Coupe replacement. C4 well, its vanilla. DS4 looks good but needs its suspension chopping off. It works for a person like me ie no kids and dont really need to carry a lot of stuff

Yeah, I'm a fan of the DS3 but am not sure I could live with it as my daily drive from a size perspective. No doubting it'd be a great weekend car though (especially the DS3R)!

I'd still love to see a proper C4 coupe, but it would seem that Citroen have decided to permanently remove it from the lineup. To my mind, the DS4 is aimed at the young to middle aged corporate type rather than any other demographic.
FrankBullitt   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 04:48am

Member No: #19238
Depends on who is writing the article to be honest - if it's Autocar, they only really care about the last 10/10ths of handling precision, steering feel and so-on; if it's What Car? then all they care about is whether the boot is a good shape and there is sufficient Worthers Originals storage up-front and flat-cap space on the rear shelf.

Interesting the comments made on the thread about handling; most people seem to make the mistake that front-end grip and flat stance equates good handling; I've driven enough lifeless A4 S-Line's to know that handling and front end grip are not the same thing. Handling is a combination of steering telling you what the front wheels are up to, your bum telling you what the back of the car is doing, the dampers telling you what the road surface is without it being uncomfortable and springs having a progressive rate of compliance; lean can be OK if combined with feelsome steering it tells you that the limits of adhesion are being reached. Grip...grip...grip...hedge is not really handling!

Odd the DS4 doesn't have opening rear windows; just seems wrong!
Stuey   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 05:46am
Member No: #84
CamM wrote ...

Stuey wrote ...

Yeah, I'm a fan of the DS3 but am not sure I could live with it as my daily drive from a size perspective. No doubting it'd be a great weekend car though (especially the DS3R)!

In the not to distant future I will learn how it feels to have a DS3R as a daily driver! My only experience of it is up Goodwood which is a glass smooth tarmac drive way, sadly I'm not old enough to test drive the Racing on a public road but I am old enough for Citroen to take my money for one!
CamM   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 06:03am

Stuey wrote ...
...but I am old enough for Citroen to take my money for one!

And the insurance company too, no doubt!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member