or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Total Quartz is rather pricey, isn't it?!?!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
CamM   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 07:03am

Member No: #19249
I've just sent a query to the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service asking them to advise what restrictions (if any) apply to purchasing engine oil overseas and having it shipped to Australia? According to their auto-responder, I should allow up to 10 working days for a response. I'll be interested to see what they come back with...
BigJohnD   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 07:31am

Member No: #82
Stuey wrote ...

I have checked on Australia's "things you cant send here" list, there is no specific mention of it but equally it says no organic products. I wouldn't fancy taking a chance on it.

It's synthetic! "implies being prepared or made artificially, in contrast to naturally."
wozza   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 09:32am

Member No: #2
Thing is with oil being a fairly big heavy item. Especially in a 5 litre tub, it is likely going to be expensive to post. Not just simpler to use another oil that is cheap locally but has the same ratings.

Most 5w40 fully synthetic meets the 180's requirements.
Stuey   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 10:54am
Member No: #84
BigJohnD wrote ...

Stuey wrote ...

I have checked on Australia's "things you cant send here" list, there is no specific mention of it but equally it says no organic products. I wouldn't fancy taking a chance on it.

It's synthetic! "implies being prepared or made artificially, in contrast to naturally."

I was aware it was synthetic but we have had man made that looks like natural stuff returned here by Oz customs, model railway bushes to be precise. Just going on what evidence I have available and as it would be a big waste of money on the post if it came back with the red X on it, assuming it gets back and not destroyed
CamM   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 10:28pm

Just got a reply from AQIS...

"Dear Cam,

Thank you for contacting the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS).

Completely clean, synthetic products are permitted by quarantine and will not be detained on arrival in Australia. Quarantine are only concerned with items that contain plant or animal material.

The only time any item will be seized is if on inspection, insects, soil or any other contaminates are found the item must undergo treatment at a cost of $42.50 to the consignee and the consignee will be notified by AQIS before any treatment is carried out. Once payment and treatment has been completed, the items will be handed back to Australia post for delivery. Treatment can take up to 5 weeks to complete.

The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service are responsible for duties and taxes on goods entering Australia and charges will apply for items over $AU1000.00. You should contact the Australia Customs and Border Protection Service at e mail icon to enquire about any specific restrictions/charges payable.
Information regarding import conditions for specific products can be found using AQIS's Import Conditions Database (ICON). ICON is a simple and convenient way to access information about Australian import conditions for many thousands of commodities. ICON can be used to determine if a commodity intended for export to Australia needs a quarantine permit, mandatory treatment or if there are any other quarantine requirements.

All mail items entering Australia are screened and if items of quarantine concern are identified, they will require inspection. It is important that all declarations on mail parcels are true and provide sufficient detail about the goods inside. There is an opportunity to list all the contents of the parcel on the Customs Declaration that is available from post offices around the world.

Regards,
AQIS International Mail Program"

Wozza wrote ...

Thing is with oil being a fairly big heavy item. Especially in a 5 litre tub, it is likely going to be expensive to post. Not just simpler to use another oil that is cheap locally but has the same ratings.

Most 5w40 fully synthetic meets the 180's requirements.

You may well have a point there mate, but I'm none-the-less interested to compare prices on the same products. The dealer's price is the one and only quote I've had. I will be comparing the cost against an independent local supplier as well as the potential cost of importing from overseas. I don't mind doing my homework to get the best deal
trev h   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 03:08am
Member No: #10864
As the only quote is from the dealer it might be worth contacting total oils australia in victoria & see what they say, if you was to go into a citroen dealer here they charge about £36 for 5ltrs, you can buy it off the net for £22 so quite a huge difference between a dealer & an independant.
CamM   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 03:10am

Yeah, that's why I'm wanting to get quotes from a few places. I have been intending to contact Total in Victoria and see if they can quote me a RRP but just haven't been able to get to it during business hours.
gmerry   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 03:19am
Member No: #11625
Instead of trying to get the Total oil imported, just use a substitute oil of the same ACEA specificication. Castrol, Shell etc will have one and they may also have a local Australian blending plant.

So long as you meet the ACEA specification, it really doesn't matter whoose label is on the container

Regards
G
CamM   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 03:36am

Just to clarify, I'm not hell bent on importing the oil into Australia. It's simply one of a number of options I'm considering. I really just want a reality check on the cost of the stuff sourced within Australia (versus other countries) and I'm not averse to using other brands that meet the same spec.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't mind doing my homework in order to get the best deal. I know it's stating the obvious, but a small amount of market research and shopping around can pay huge dividends.

And in any case, based on some of the earlier posts in this thread regarding the difficulties in sending items to Australia, it would seem that my little query to AQIS may be quite helpful
niks   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 06:43am
Member No: #16266
A company in Melbourne is importing Total oil into Australia they have just started. but also I would like to point out that Mobil supply an oil that is the same specification as the Total product, it is what i use in my Grand Picasso and I recommend it. Having worked in the oil industry I also had various products tested and I can say that Mobil synthetics are at the top which is why our defence department used them for their aircraft and other equipment.
CamM   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 07:00am

Thanks for the input niks. I know a few people who swear by Mobil synthetic so they're certainly a potential alternative. Out of interest, what is it that set the Mobil product apart from the rest of those you had tested?

Also, which company in Victoria were you referring to?
niks   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 07:13am
Member No: #16266
the ,Mobil product was so good it never needed to be changed only the oil filter on my 1982 cx pallas plus a top up in other words it never wore out. The other products were not as good as claimed and others just never had the money to throw at a product development like Mobil which is owned by Exxon who now practically own all oil companies. The company in Victoria is total oil Australia as mentioned on the Aussiefrog website it is based in Richmond I believe I contacted the principal who was in Singapore finalising the deal and he was to get in touch with me but have heard nothing for some weeks now. A book about oils is available for free on the internet which is a wealth of knowledge its called "the oil bible" I recommend it to anyone interested in what makes a good oil.
CamM   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 07:59pm

PentlandC4 wrote ...

Nielsen CDG don't mention overseas delivery on their website, but it has to be worth asking!

I did enquire with these guys and just got a response today saying that they don't ship to this neck of the woods.
Mk3_Singh   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 09:01am
Member No: #25291
You can always email sellers on ebay and ask if they can can make a listing especially for you (that includes international shipping).

The following seller is very helpful, friendly and packages his stuff VERY well ! ... Ive ordered the Total INEO ECS oil (for 1.6HDi's) from him twice now, with no issues. At a fair price of £28 posted.

He also sells the oil you are looking for, at roughly 38AUD (posted within the UK), add another 15 - 20 AUD on for International shipping and it comes to a total of 58AUD, better than the 150AUD current quote !

Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 09:08am

Member No: #1
If you go to: - Click Here - and scroll to the page end, there is a list of suitable alternatives
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member