or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Changing the oil myself?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
IvanVTS   
Wed Aug 24 2011, 07:40pm
Member No: #20386
Just wondering if it was worth doing the oil myself. The service indicator is saying I still have about 6000km till the next service but I've done nearly 10,000km since I bought the car and I get the occasional "check engine oil" although I was getting this before as well. The oil level looks ok when I check but I was wondering whether a top up or a change is worth doing anyway. I've heard many people saying oil change every 5000km will keep the car going for years and oil filter should be changed at 10,000k.
wozza   
Wed Aug 24 2011, 08:37pm

Member No: #2
I would say if it was done 10k ago it is worth doing now.

I tend to do it every 5000 miles and it gets a service every 10,000 miles. Also gets done whenever I do a trackday.

Got to remember when we are speaking about changes we are all using miles rather than km. So most of us say around 6500-8000km on the intervals for oil change.
Rich_Eason   
Thu Aug 25 2011, 02:45am

Member No: #90
IvanVTS wrote ...

I get the occasional "check engine oil" although I was getting this before as well.

For info, the warning is only based on level not condition.

I used to get this when the car was parked on a steep hill (nose down?) and thus the sensor became "dry". After 15mins and a park on the level would usually stop the warning. On all occasions the level was OK.

If it continues, I would suggest the sensor might need changing...which IIRC changing it has been posted on here before and its tucked down in the depths of the engine somewhere, as youd expect.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member