or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Engine Modifications

De-cat, filter or induction?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Gooner_Mike   
Sun Aug 14 2011, 09:59am
Member No: #18986
Right then C4-folks, planning my next mods and I need your advice:

I'm going to change my oil next week and was wondering about changing the air filter too. What is better: a panel filter or induction kit on my 1.6HDi 110bhp?

I know all about the pros and cons of each type as I had them both on my old car. The filter didn't seem to have any effect but the induction kit added loads more turbo noise. Will this be the case on the HDi lump? Is an induction kit a waste of money on these engines?

I'm also going to possibly decat it too. Would an induction filter (open cone filter) be a better accompaniment to the decat than a panel filter. If I plan on remapping the car in the future, what would be the best combination of mods?

Thoughts please folks.

1 User said Thank You to Gooner_Mike for this Post :
 no1ice (01 Aug 2012 : 19:56)
Biohead   
Sun Aug 14 2011, 12:50pm

Member No: #6049
Remember from 1st Jan 2012, any car without a cat will fail an MOT, regardless of its emissions result.

As far as I know, a panel filter is usually the preferred one on a HDi, although I really don't know why to be honest. Although I guess with the cone filter, as long as you get a cold air feed it might be slightly better.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Aug 14 2011, 12:53pm

Member No: #1
A car with no 'Cat' that should have one is an automatic MOT fail from December 2011 onward, so there is no point in doing it. Details are here: - Click Here -

An induction Kit on a HDi is fairly pointless and could actually degrade performance

That's the bad news, the good news is that a good re map can really transform the car so that is the route I would go down
Gooner_Mike   
Sun Aug 14 2011, 03:12pm
Member No: #18986
Panel filter and remap it is then. Missed the news about the need for a cat for MOT. Thanks for the heads-up chaps!
rew   
Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:09am
Member No: #15389
There is a way around the decat problem.. if you can get hold of an old broken cat and gut its insides, then on visual inspection it will still have its cat on...
spizlot3   
Thu Aug 02 2012, 05:01am
Member No: #9705
Location: Runcorn (Unfortunately not in the blummin' rich area) of Cheshire!
But it will still fail...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member