or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

Knocking feeling from driver's side low down - Steering Rack?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
fastasabadger   
Mon Aug 08 2011, 02:46am
I have had my C4 for 2 weeks now and since I've bought it I've had a knocking feeling from the drivers side low down. There is no metallic knocking sounds but you can feel it through the steering wheel and the footwell even when going over small bumps. The car general does not feel tight on handling especially on the front end. I have checked underneath and everything looks to be in pretty good order.

I have found that there is extra play in the inner steering rack ball joint on the drivers side though.

I had wondered whether it is a design feature of the C4 as you can't really feel it when it's not jacked up but having checked against another HDi C4 the play is definitely there.

Would this be what's causing it? I'm not sure that there is quite enough extra play to fail and MOT yet.

Can anyone make any suggestions for other bits for me to check or common bits that fail and could do this as I'm a new owner and not to familiar with the car.

Many thanks

VTR+ HDi 08
BigJohnD   
Mon Aug 08 2011, 04:44am

Member No: #82
You also need to check the engine and gearbox mountings, and the lower ball joints, though usually all these parts are good for 5 or more years.
no1ice   
Thu Aug 29 2013, 08:47am
Member No: #20784
Hi all,

My car passed its MOT in July time but had an advisory for:

play in inner steering rack joint(s)

I have had the car up and can confirm the play is from the drivers side and I am pretty sure it is the steering rack as all other joints seem solid except this.

Any advice? I've come across - Click Here - and similar on eBay but wondering how much effort this would be to fit? And if I actually need to replace the whole rack?

Cheers

Nic
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Aug 29 2013, 09:14am

Member No: #1
According to a Citroen Tech I know the racks all have a degree of play in them so if it's passed an MOT then leave it alone.
no1ice   
Thu Aug 29 2013, 09:58am
C6 Dave wrote ...

According to a Citroen Tech I know the racks all have a degree of play in them so if it's passed an MOT then leave it alone.

Definitely noticed that when the car is fully raised and steering wheel held at full lock - o/s wheel has noticeable play compared to n/s. When n/s wheel raised and o/s wheel on the ground (no one holding steering wheel) n/s wheel is immoveable but when tested the other way round o/s wheel will move and cause steering wheel to move.

Hope that makes sense. Anyway as you say Dave, It passed the MOT so will just leave it be and save myself the money!
no1ice   
Tue Aug 12 2014, 02:03pm
Well it's been a long time since I posted last but my car had its MOT a few weeks ago in July. The loud knocking/rumbling is still there on cornering but it passed the MOT with no advisories...

How can one year it get an advisory for play in steering rack and next year not? Surely something is wrong with the system...
barrie   
Wed Aug 13 2014, 12:13am
Member No: #30672
Sometime the backlash on the rack can feel realy slack but try it with the motor running and you should find when the power steering pump is running the play has gone

Barrie
polestarboy   
Fri Aug 15 2014, 03:20pm
Member No: #33110
whats your plastic covers like under the engine that connects to the wheel arches? I'm sure they maybe rattling around
Kangiev   
Wed Feb 13 2019, 02:45am
Member No: #46931
Hello i have simillar problem to my C4 1.6 HDI i check and replace almost all i dont replace the steering rack and i wonder if someone find what is the problem ?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member