or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Body Styling Spoilers and wheels

VTS Muffler Tip

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
f411   
Thu Aug 04 2011, 04:04pm
Member No: #18727
Hi everybody,
I'm thinking about setting up a dual exhaust on my car and I really liked the VTS muffler tip, although from the pictures I've seen in Google and forums I'm not 100% sure if it is symmetric and can be fitted in both sides of the bumper without compromising aesthetic. In some images it seemed a bit curved to the left side...

Edit: is the one on Wozza's car the same as the default VTS
wozza   
Thu Aug 04 2011, 05:08pm

Member No: #2
Mine is the standard pipe that the 180 comes with. It is Slightly angled to follow the bumper so it sits flush.
f411   
Thu Aug 04 2011, 06:13pm
Damn! There goes my hope.. Anybody knows a similar muffler tip? Because most of the ones I've seen on eBay are too big for the C4 imo..

BTW Wozza, I was reading a topic about your car on C4atreros, impressive preparation!
wozza   
Thu Aug 04 2011, 09:46pm

Do you not have a custom exhaust place out there that can create one for you?

We have quite a lot of shops out here that will make the system to whatever sound, volume and look you want.

The posts over there have not been updated in a while, will likely do it when I have the next lot of mods done. Some more engine work coming soon. Should see me break the 200hp mark.
Stuey   
Fri Aug 05 2011, 03:44am
Member No: #84
The only way to do a dual exit exhaust is by modifying the spare wheel well, which will mean no spare. I had mine checked for a twin exit and the guys said it was near impossible with the placing of the fuel tank and the rear axle. If you do manage it please put some pictures up on here!
Rich_Eason   
Fri Aug 05 2011, 06:26am

Member No: #90
Stuey wrote ...

The only way to do a dual exit exhaust is by modifying the spare wheel well, which will mean no spare. I had mine checked for a twin exit and the guys said it was near impossible with the placing of the fuel tank and the rear axle. If you do manage it please put some pictures up on here!

As what Syuey said.

When I had my VTS rear box off to be replaced by a custom Stainless system there isnt much room under the rear of the car. The original VTS back box is wider than it is deep and is quite a sizable box. I know when I had my exhaust built they struggled to get the silencer into the recess with enough space to have the tailpipe finisher flush with the vallance.

Sadly, there simply isnt alot of room under the rear.
Stuey   
Fri Aug 05 2011, 06:32am
Member No: #84
seems it runs in the Citroen family, I saw pictures of a DS3 that has had to have its wheel well removed to get a twin exit. I'm not willing to make that much modification.
Rich_Eason   
Fri Aug 05 2011, 01:27pm

'zak same as mine was, and poking out the same too...

I saw a Focus the other day with a large oval centre exit and TBH it looked a bit gash...
wozza   
Fri Aug 05 2011, 02:46pm

See this is the thing I don't want mine poking out. And I want it to look as OEM as possible.

I might just end up getting the VTS backbox tip cut off and put onto the new system when I get it done unless they can do it how I want it.

Will have to see.
f411   
Tue Aug 09 2011, 01:42pm
Hi all,

The Citroën parts dealer just sent me an email while I had started to write this, telling that the "VTS Muffler tip" can't be sold separately, as it is a component of the rear silencer which goes over £400 (holy [%*^#@!]!)...

Wozza wrote ...

Do you not have a custom exhaust place out there that can create one for you?
We have quite a lot of shops out here that will make the system to whatever sound, volume and look you want.

Unfortunately no, this type of custom service insn't quite common here yet... Is it possible to you to point me a website for a "custom exhaust" shop that you know of? I'd try to make contact with them and see if I can get something close to a replica of the VTS muffler tip or similar and ship it to Brazil.. And btw, do you have any idea of how much this kind of product usually cost?

- - - - -
Also, although it doesn't matter much now since Citroën doesn't sell the piece separately, this [%*^#@!] MS Paint drawing illustrates better my original question regarding the shape of the muffler tip (note: I don't want it getting out of the bumper just made this way for better understanding)

- - - - -

Stuey wrote ...

There's a garage from São Paulo that installed a different bodykit on a C4 Coupé with a twin exhaust:

I wouldn't do this, the placement doesn't sound safe to me.

Instead I'd make it after the rear silencer by using the gap between the spare wheel box and the rear bumper, which is about 10cm (enough space for the pipe and some heat shield meterial - idk how to say it in English). I know it's more of a 'fake' design, but it would result in a safe and working twin exhaust anyways.

- - - - -
Jon, that exit looks very nice on your coupé (specialy with the WRC spoiler), but I don't think it would look good in the hatch due to its small rear diffuser - part of it would need to go way under the bumper. If I can find one of it that has a smaller height, it'd certainly fit.

Thank you for all of your replies folks!
JonM   
Tue Aug 09 2011, 01:47pm
Member No: #211
Can have pretty much what you want if pay for it here mate

You just need to find someone to do it for you

Jon

Rich_Eason   
Wed Aug 10 2011, 02:15am

Wozza wrote ...

See this is the thing I don't want mine poking out. And I want it to look as OEM as possible.

I might just end up getting the VTS backbox tip cut off and put onto the new system when I get it done unless they can do it how I want it.

Will have to see.

FWIKR there was a slash cut tip which could be mounted a'la the OEM Exhaust tip, however it would still stick out due to the size of the recess underneath, hence why I opted for the other tip as it looked better, slightly poking out.

Cutting the OEM tip and retrofitting is probably the easiest option "if" the fitter has enough room, if the fitter has enough time to get it to fit and doesnt effect their warenty.
f411   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 09:55am
Hi,
I've read somewhere that I'd have a very small performance loss if I fit the dual exit because the engine would need to make a greater effort in order to push the bigger exhaust gas column out of the pipes.

So if I want to make a dual exhaust exit and do not negatively affect performance at all, should I use smaller pipes that together have the same volumetric capacity of the original pipe?
I.e.: the pipe after the last silencer, which diameter is 6 cm (and therefore the cross section area is 28.27 cm²) , would have to split into two smaller pipes of 4.24 cm diameter each (which makes the cross section area of each = 14.14 cm²), and so, the volumetric capacity of the exhaust pipes would be closer to the same as they were in the stock layout (there will still be a difference since there's going to be more pipes, but anyway, it's a smaller difference than if using a 6 cm pipe all the way).

Also, I have come across two layout options:
1. Making a 'T' pipe junction:

or

Thoughts?
wozza   
Thu Sep 01 2011, 12:37pm

I doubt it will make much if any difference. With the designs you have it would probably just end up coming out of the closest one the most anyway.

Exhausts make very little difference on Normally Aspirated (non turbo) cars.
1 User said Thank You to wozza for this Post :
 f411 (02 Sep 2011 : 06:08)
Rich_Eason   
Fri Sep 02 2011, 11:18am

Wozza wrote ...

I doubt it will make much if any difference. With the designs you have it would probably just end up coming out of the closest one the most anyway.

Exhausts make very little difference on Normally Aspirated (non turbo) cars.

As above really plus what space is avaliable to get the routing to work.

Attached is a pic of how they do it on the A500...notice that two of the four pipes are silenced

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member