or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 Road Tests and Model Reports

Almost ready to buy a C4 now...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
velo_Hamster   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 10:43am
... but I would like some help please

I've not really done too much 'work' when buying a car before - I've generally seen one I've liked and had a big dose of good luck in that I've not suffered with problems, etc.

Most of the C4's I've been looking at are a fair distance from where I live and initial contact with the seller (private or trade) is going to be by phone. I've read through the 'used buying guide' a few times now so, bar the glaringly obvious questions, is there anything in particular I should ask about?

Any help will be very much appreciated

Velo.
BigJohnD   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 12:00pm

Member No: #82
All the questions and checks are listed here: - Click Here -

Which model are you looking at? Petrol/Diesel? Manual/EGS? Exclusive/VTS? Year? Budget limit?

Are you looking to be spending a considerable amount after the purchase on ICE, wheels/tyres, lowering, spoiler, &c. which could impact on your budget?
Stuey   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 12:03pm
Member No: #84
main points

Diesel-make sure its been serviced at the correct intervals, if you have a read a lot of turbos seem to be failing at the minute due to lack of servicing

Petrol- Nothing really

Check the wiring coming from the top of the boot hatch, if its inside a gentle double curved sleeve no problems, if its anything else then it needs to head off to a dealer to have it replaced before the electrics in the rear of the car fail

Cant think of anything more specific really, just look for the usual accident etc
velo_Hamster   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 12:38pm
BigJohnD wrote ...

All the questions and checks are listed here: - Click Here -

Which model are you looking at? Petrol/Diesel? Manual/EGS? Exclusive/VTS? Year? Budget limit?

Are you looking to be spending a considerable amount after the purchase on ICE, wheels/tyres, lowering, spoiler, &c. which could impact on your budget?

It will probably be the 1.6 petrol, but not ruling out Hdi. VTR (VTR+ if I can find one), 2005 is in my budget range.

I will be looking to spend a bit on ICE, but only down the line when my funds allow.
velo_Hamster   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 12:39pm
Stuey wrote ...

main points

Diesel-make sure its been serviced at the correct intervals, if you have a read a lot of turbos seem to be failing at the minute due to lack of servicing

Petrol- Nothing really

Check the wiring coming from the top of the boot hatch, if its inside a gentle double curved sleeve no problems, if its anything else then it needs to head off to a dealer to have it replaced before the electrics in the rear of the car fail

Cant think of anything more specific really, just look for the usual accident etc

I was literally just reading about the turbo's blowing. Thanks for the advice Stuey

(P.S. Am I right in assuming the Wicked Red is not the darkish metallicy burgandy red?)
BigJohnD   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 12:43pm

The 110 Hdi VTR+ is a great car, and Wicked Red - Rouge Lucifer - is a great colour!
wozza   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 12:53pm

Member No: #2
Wicked red is the metallic red. It can look quite dark at times and very cherry metallic at others. It just depends on how clean it is and how the light hits it.

cambelt is worth checking out if it needs doing etc.

Also if the car has a spoiler if you are looking at a coupe, check to make sure it is bubbling in places. If it is will need repairing or replacing at a cost of around £230. A simple respray of it won't suffice.

If going for a higher spec model check the climate system make sure it is changing temperature properly. If there are any knocks over bumps that isn't normal. Could be down to damper sleeve coming loose, which needs pushing back up and fixing in place. Or worn anti roll bar bush or similar.

High clutch point is normal. Brakes, depending on the state of them be careful when you apply them the first time. Otherwise you will find the car tries to stand on its nose. The C4's brakes are regarded as rather good as standard and they will stop you quickly with barely a touch of the pedal.

Obviously usual checks as well, remove oil cap check for mayo looking substance, run finger over the discs to see if they are badly scored etc etc. Just usual checks for everything else. Oh also check to make sure the passenger footwell is dry.

Check to make sure the cruise control and speed limiter activate properly as well. If they show and error could be brake pedal switch.

That's about all I can remember, just study the buyers guide think most of what I said is in there.
velo_Hamster   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 12:59pm

I appreciate all of the advice Wozza, thank you I have read the guide a few times (really don't want to pick up a lemon!), but I guarantee there will be bits I don't remember!

If some of the recalls haven't been carried out on the car, am I liable for the cost if I took it to Citroen to sort?
MiniPaulo   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 01:21pm
Member No: #13367
velo_Hamster wrote ...

I have read the guide a few times (really don't want to pick up a lemon!), but I guarantee there will be bits I don't remember!

I printed the list and made a point of going round the car ticking them off.

velo_Hamster wrote ...

If some of the recalls haven't been carried out on the car, am I liable for the cost if I took it to Citroen to sort?

Recalls are free of charge.
wozza   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 01:38pm

Member No: #2
Recalls can be checked by going to any Citroën dealer and asking them to check the cars Vin. Can also find out any previous warranty work under taken.

And recalls are free for the life of the car. Often you find stickers put in the interior fuse box although not always any physical ways to check.

Could always ask one of the local guys to pop in and give the cars you are looking at a quick look. If the cars are miles away sure you might get someone to help out. Know I have gone looking at cars / parts for lads on here before so they know if it's worth the trip. When I found my VTS that was an 8 hour round trip to pick it up.
velo_Hamster   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 02:29pm
MiniPaulo wrote ...

Recalls are free of charge.

Thanks MiniPaulo

Wozza wrote ...

Recalls can be checked by going to any Citroën dealer and asking them to check the cars Vin. Can also find out any previous warranty work under taken.

And recalls are free for the life of the car. Often you find stickers put in the interior fuse box although not always any physical ways to check.

Could always ask one of the local guys to pop in and give the cars you are looking at a quick look. If the cars are miles away sure you might get someone to help out. Know I have gone looking at cars / parts for lads on here before so they know if it's worth the trip. When I found my VTS that was an 8 hour round trip to pick it up.

I know that we did that for people on the Alfa forum, but I am too new here to even think about being presumptuous and asking for any more than just advise as yet! The first one isn't so bad, a 1.6 VTR in Devon (200 mile round trip), looking forward to seeing it

In looking about and researching, was there only the one red on C4 Coupes (Wicked Red)?

Regards,

Velo.
Rich_Eason   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 03:01pm

Member No: #90
velo_Hamster wrote ...

In looking about and researching, was there only the one red on C4 Coupes (Wicked Red)?

No, there is Wicked Red (Pearlescent)

and the Sport Red as found only on the C4 by 'Loeb's (solid)

There are two versions of the 'by Loebs' obvious by the different graphics.
Stuey   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 03:18pm
Member No: #84
Dont bother with a VTR aim for a plus, so many more toys, better wheels, better seats etc etc ive had both specs and as much as there is on a VTR the plus makes it look like a welfare case!
1 User said Thank You to Stuey for this Post :
  (12 Jul 2011 : 15:57)
BigJohnD   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 03:37pm

The VTR+ has more controls on the steering wheel, critically MENU, MODE, Esc and OK, which make life so much easier if you're thinking of replacing the radio.
velo_Hamster   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 03:56pm
Rich_Eason wrote ...

No, there is Wicked Red (Pearlescent) and the Sport Red as found only on the C4 by 'Loeb's (solid)

Now I am confused, as there is one advertised as metallic burgandy!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member