or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

Engine speed sensor?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
BernieRubble   
Sun Jul 03 2011, 05:45pm
Member No: #15579
Hi, took my car to Dealer 1, for Diagnostic, they found three faults.

1) Engine speed sensor, not working/missing (permanent)

2) EGR valve sticking, lumpy when idling (temporary)

3) Two different readings from brake switch (temporary)

My question is, I bought the sensor while I was there and they told me the pulley wheel will have to be removed to replace, 'is this the one on the bottom of the alternator belt or the timing belt? (please tell me its the first one)

Also was told the diagnostic would be £70 all in, but with the speed sensor included (£25), only charged me £79, now that's excellent service, or what!!
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jul 04 2011, 01:20am

Member No: #1
Send me the part number from the invoice and I'll see what I can find
BernieRubble   
Mon Jul 04 2011, 01:36am
Hi Dave and thanks for quick reply,the part number is 1920EH.
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jul 04 2011, 02:04am

OK here is an image of the location. I'll try and find a fitting guide later, it's part [6] circled in red

BernieRubble   
Wed Jul 06 2011, 02:29pm
hi dave,did you find me a fitting guide to that speed sensor?
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Jul 07 2011, 12:22am

Sorry, I can't as there doesn't appear to be one.
BernieRubble   
Thu Jul 07 2011, 01:38am
thanks dave,no prob,i'll see local mechanic,i think i only need a puller,the sensor is just behind the alternator bottom wheel.
BernieRubble   
Mon Jul 11 2011, 04:17pm
Hi Dave, I found out where the engine speed sensor is, or the crankshaft sensor as some other people might call it. I had a go on Saturday, started about 8.15am and finished at 11am.

I started by jacking up the front drivers side wheel, removed the wheel and the plastic inner liner.

I saw the sensor right away, it's halfway behind the pulley wheel,which is used by the alternator belt (as you look inside the wheel arch, it's on the right side and the sensor is about 8 o'clock on the pulley).

I then put a 15mm socket, with extension, on the tensioner, pulling it towards me and the front of the car and removed the alternator belt.

Then removed the flow and return fuel pipes, just above the timing belt cover, easily seen, one is green, one is white (put a rag or paper towels to catch the drips, when you remove the pipes).

Removed the 5 bolts on the top timing belt cover, removed the cover. Turn the timing belt, so the two holes line up and you can insert a tool, to stop it moving (I used a 7.5mm drill bit).

While my dad kept stopped the timing belt from turning, with a socket on the timing belt bolt, I removed the bolt from the centre of the pulley wheel, slid the wheel off (can only be fixed back on a certain way, there is a groove on the inside which it fits into), removed the old sensor and installed the new one (can't be removed without removing the pulley, because there is a part sticking out which fits into a groove, in the back of the pulley) then reinstalled all the parts I'd removed, not forgetting to remove the locking pin (or drill bit in my case.)

Hope this will help other members and a big thanks for Dealer 1, for telling me what was at fault and where it was on the engine.

2 User said Thank You to BernieRubble for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (11 Jul 2011 : 16:20) , BigJohnD (11 Jul 2011 : 16:58)
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 02:09am

Thanks for adding it. It's now available to download as a printable .pdf here: - Click Here -
thecsm   
Fri Dec 31 2021, 06:24pm
Member No: #59266
Hi. Newbie to the forum.
I just wondered if anyone could help.
I have a C4 G Picasso (2016 blue 120) which died on us (fast lane of the motorway doing 70). Managed to pull off into the services slip road which luckily was just right there.
The recovery guy plugged in his diagnostic and said it was the crank position sensor.
I’ve bought the part which looks very similar to the one in this thread.
Would anyone know if it would be the same process to follow as on this thread( ie, the sensor is located on the same place. I’ve been scouring the internet for days trying to find out when by accident I happened across the thread, purely by asking Google to show me images rather than “all” results.
Thanks In advance

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member