or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 Road Tests and Model Reports

First week with the new car

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Barryboy   
Fri Sep 07 2007, 02:54pm
I picked the car up (C4 cool diesel) on 1st Sept and ahve done very little mileage in it this week ( a shade under 200) so not able to give a comprehensive review but here's my thoughts on the first week.

The car runs very well indeed. My previous car was a Rover 75 (Passat befoere that and BMW before that one) and apart from interior space in the rear (I don't sit there so who cares?) and the boot (I avoid shoppping like the plague so again, who cares?) and the better driving position of the Rover this car seems just as good a commuting tool as the Rover. And that's why I bought it - it is primarily something to get me to work and back. I could have bought a used car, or something smaller/cheaper, or even something bigger/more expensive but the C4 cool came in about right on price, when taking into account the offers, rebates and zero percent 3 year finance. I also have a little history with Citroens - my wife still currently runs the ZX Avantage 1.9D that we bought new in 1992. It's now got 90K on the clock and it's still running sweetly with little in the way of problems over 15 years

The fuel consumption is showing a steady 52.3 MPG on the computer readout, but I don't trust the accuracy of these things so will be doing a brim to brim check on my next tankful. I know that will improve as the engine beds in and loosens up - and maybe turning the aircon off will help, too!

All positive so far, but what of the niggles.....

First up is the auto windcreen wipers. I just know I won't get used to those in a hurry - JohnD has posted instructions for turning the damn things off so I'll try that.

Second is the indicator stalk which doesn't seem to turn off very easily, not is the 'tick' very loud to tell you that the indicators are still on.

Third, and probably worst of all is the driving position - the dealer only gave me a very short test drive citing insurance reasons so I didn't really notice the awkwardness of the driving position. Due to my weird body shape I need the seat base lowered as far down as it will go, and the seat back upright. This has caused a problem with my left knee rubbing against the centre console housing. I also like to rest my right elbow on the top of the door card, where the window meets the door but on the C4 the position is all wrong - it is too high.

Nothing too drastic, then. I'll have to adapt my driving position to suit the car and no doubt I'll learn to live with the rest of the problems.

StevieB   
Sat Sep 08 2007, 02:21am
Hi Barryboy,

nice introduction.. we are coming to the end of our 5th week with ours, and continue to be delighted.. the Fuel consumption on the Cool is fantastic around town..

I hope you can "get on" with the driving position.. for me coming from a Citroen Xsara, the C4 seat is much higher , took a week or so to get used to it.. but now love it..

The auto wipers.. we think they are a hoot... but they do settle down when they learn the prevailing conditions.. the lights are plain funny.. drive through a country lane with overhanging trees they come on... in full daylight.. drive into a multi storey car park, tunnel they switch on, which is cool..

The thing is these are all aids to driving and YOU are in control, switch auto features on or off.. its up to you .

Keep an eye on the indicators and get em to check the function on the 1000 mile check up.. ours is okay..

Other than this enjoy...........

Steve B
BigJohnD   
Sat Sep 08 2007, 05:41am

Member No: #82
I personally find the driving postion very comfortable, and it was one of my decisive factors when buying the C4. Being fairly large (and having lost 37Kg). most hatchback size cars have pretty useless seats - the ones in SWMBO F**d F*c*us, for example are far too small and you sit "on" them, not "in" them as in the C4.. But then seats are one size and there's no way they're going to suit everyone.

The auto-wipers have their own way of working, but they're actually not that bad, and do (usually) respond quickly ans as expected, for example, when a huge amount of spray comes up when overtaking a truck.

I've found the trip computer/fuel consumption readout to remarkably accurate, with hardly any difference from manual calculations.

Enjoy your new car!
gazzab   
Fri Sep 14 2007, 09:30am
Had my 1.6 Cool Coupe for 2 weeks now and am very happy with it.
I did my first motorway drive this week and got an average of 40.9 mpg, not sure if that is good or not as I am not a tekkie person. My only minor niggle is the lack of side vision when looking in the rear view mirror, therefore I am relying on my wing mirrors a lot.

GazzaB
Welshguy   
Fri Sep 14 2007, 10:45am
Member No: #77
Welcome! Another South Wales member - a fair few of us now!

Due to my weird body shape

Im dying to know...what's "wierd" about it?

BigJohnD   
Fri Sep 14 2007, 12:43pm

Member No: #82
gazzab wrote ...

I did my first motorway drive this week and got an average of 40.9 mpg, not sure if that is good or not

Petrol = good
Diesel = you have a problem.
Welshguy   
Fri Sep 14 2007, 01:15pm
Member No: #77
Petrol = good

Short and Sweet eh John!
gazzab   
Fri Sep 14 2007, 01:46pm
Cheers John
blueclouduk   
Fri Sep 14 2007, 05:48pm
BigJohnD wrote ...

gazzab wrote ...

I did my first motorway drive this week and got an average of 40.9 mpg, not sure if that is good or not

Petrol = good

Unless of course you were sat at 90. (AP)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member