or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

DS4 in the flesh!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
SP36   
Wed Jun 22 2011, 05:29am
I've just returned from Citroen Birmingham where I brought an Oil filter for my C4. Outside the parts department in front of a new C4 and DS3 was a DS4 with some plastic wrap still on it. I got to compare the three side by side and have got to say the DS4 disappoints me... its just a taller, frumpier C4.

Not impressed! In my opinion the new C4 looks the sportier car and the DS3 is much much better! Shame really as I was looking forward to seeing one, but even the Citroen technician said he was disappointed.

I also saw a DS3R which I thought looked the dogs!
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jun 22 2011, 06:01am

Member No: #1
That's basically what it is, a C4 after all.

Until I actually see one I'll reserve my opinion
Darren   
Wed Jun 22 2011, 09:23am
Member No: #5650
SP36 wrote ...

I also saw a DS4R which I thought looked the dogs!

Did you mean a DS3R? I didn't think the DS4R had even been finalized yet.

Anyway, as you mention the DS4 is very similar to the C4, and too similar in my opinion.

I know the DS3 is similar to the C3 but for a top spec DS4 to be over £26k I'd expect it to look alot more upmarket than what it is.

The interior of the DS4 is just too bland, and my own personal opinion if anything is that the DS3 looks more upmarket than the DS4 which just looks plasticy to me.

DS3 DSport 150

DS4 DSport 200

I definitely prefer the new C4.
I'm open to criticism
gulranek   
Wed Jun 22 2011, 09:37am
Member No: #7028
I saw a DS4 a couple weeks ago in the local dealership, I was very much impressed with the look and feel. As SP36 said, it's quite a bit higher than the new C4, but the internals looked absolutely stunning, especially the Mistral/Habana seats (the combination of black and light brown leather).

However, as it is basically a better looking C4, I don't think it's worth paying 26,000+ euro, especially not if it's going to be as "reliable" as the 2005 version.

Also, the new C4/DS4 seem to have less leg room in the back, I guess it's the price they wanted to pay in order to have a much bigger trunk.
BigJohnD   
Wed Jun 22 2011, 06:18pm

Member No: #82
The new C4 dash is identical to the DS4 DSport 200 - the big difference is DS logo, the C4 having the softened chevrons.
wozza   
Wed Jun 22 2011, 09:47pm

Member No: #2
the DS4 has some good points and bad points in my opinion.

Good - they have finally given up a black option to get rid of the Chrome. Something a fair few of us have wanted for a while now. Not everyone likes Chrome, infact I have a hatred for the the stuff.

Bad - even the 200hp one is slow. 8.5 seconds to 62 for a 200hp car means it is heavy. Which means handling and fuel consumption are going to suffer. Add in the fact it is basically designed to be quite and comfy and not at all sporty.....I'm out.
IvanVTS   
Thu Jun 23 2011, 12:23am
Member No: #20386
Don't have the new C4 or DS4 here yet but we do have the DS3, I rather like the styling and really want to test drive but buying a smaller car is not an option for me
C4Darren   
Thu Jun 23 2011, 04:52am
Member No: #13754
I think what we're forgetting is the DS brand doesn't automatically mean sport-mode.

The DS3 does come in a rather nice 150bhp model, or even the DS3R but for Citroen I think their goal was just to make the DS the lexus of their toyota... a sort of "Hey, look at me... I'm sporting French semi-luxury!"

If it goes like VAG's off a shovel then that's a bonus.
SP36   
Fri Jun 24 2011, 04:40am
Darren wrote ...

Yeah, that's what it says... DS3R... I dunno where you got DS4R from!

I just felt very under whelmed by it especially next to the DS3. I know DS brand doesn't necessarily mean sporty but I would say there was nothing more "luxury" about the DS4 compared to the C4 it was parked in front of.

Though looking at pictures of the DS4R (and I mean DS4R this time ), that looks pretty awesome.
PentlandC4   
Fri Jun 24 2011, 07:17am
Member No: #13613
I'm going to have to reserve judgement too, until I see one in the metal (more excited about the DS5 at the moment).

In the meantime, I've really warmed to the 2011 C4: had a seat in BigJohnD's, saw loads (and I mean loads) on holiday on Mallorca, and a white one yesterday on my way to work.
connormoose   
Fri Jun 24 2011, 12:15pm
Member No: #5593
My opinion would be that the difference or the "premium effect" between the C4/DS4 is not as striking as the C3/DS3. The DS3 blew the pants off the small car category, whereas the DS4 will be lucky to be mentioned in the media.
SP36   
Fri Jun 24 2011, 05:40pm
connormoose wrote ...

My opinion would be that the difference or the "premium effect" between the C4/DS4 is not as striking as the C3/DS3. The DS3 blew the pants off the small car category, whereas the DS4 will be lucky to be mentioned in the media.

Agreed.
Phil   
Fri Jun 24 2011, 06:21pm

Member No: #406
DS4 is a lovely car. Had one only for a couple of days now and has not failed to draw attention.. Couple of downers I would say is rear door is a very narrow opening for the shape of the rear door / frame - reduces entry and leg room for taller people. Also the door itself is a very odd shape and protrudes out a lot!

List price on the one we have is £24k though..... personally would have the DS3R - ok it's a different car completely but ticks all the boxes for me.
routemaster1   
Sat Jun 25 2011, 09:45am
Member No: #574
Seen one today. It's like sitting in a coal mine!!! And in Hickory brown.
Darren   
Sat Jun 25 2011, 10:03am
Member No: #5650
SP36 wrote ...

Darren wrote ...

Yeah, that's what it says... DS3R... I dunno where you got DS4R from!

That because you or a mod updated it as your post states: [ Edited Fri Jun 24 2011, 10:32AM ]
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member