or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Problems and issues

ECU Anti-tune protection

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
BigJohnD   
Fri May 27 2011, 02:21am

Member No: #82
I've investigated a re-map on my 2011 92hp 1.6HDi C4.

However, the latest cars are fitted with anti-tune protection, so they can not be re-mapped without removing the protection. Removing the protection would require either a physical re-wire of the ECU to by-pass the protection or the use of software, neither of which can be considered to be Citroën approved. You can check the version of the ECU by looking under the bonnet and reading the version of the ECU; EBD17 or later is protected.

Citroën (PSA?) have recently added this protection, and any tampering or removal of it will have consequences for the warranty. So I won't be proceeding with this option.
Rich_Eason   
Fri May 27 2011, 02:33am

Member No: #90
This is interesting and again aligns to the discussions ongoing about the soon to be implemented MOT regs being aligned to Type Approval.

Being that any "Illegal ECU Modifications" will result in an MOT Failure, locking down the ECU of a new car, goes along with this approach.

Surely its only a matter of time until the key to the lock is found though?

BigJohnD   
Fri May 27 2011, 02:38am

I'm sure the software boys will find a way round it, and perhaps even put the protection back after re-mapping. But at the moment, the conventional software re-mapping tools no longer work.
Dave_Retired.   
Fri May 27 2011, 02:39am

Member No: #1
Rich_Eason wrote ...

Surely its only a matter of time until the key to the lock is found though?

That may be so Rich and no doubt some will happily do it, but the implications of doing it to a car under warranty and for the new MOT guidelines make it a no no for most people.

Personally whilst I was happy to have the old C4 re mapped, if the ECU had 'tamper protection' then I wouldn't have done it.
BigJohnD   
Fri May 27 2011, 03:56am

C6 Dave wrote ...
… the implications of doing it to a car under warranty and for the new MOT guidelines make it a no no for most people.

That was my decision.
Rich_Eason   
Fri May 27 2011, 04:28am

Member No: #90
C6 Dave wrote ...

That may be so Rich and no doubt some will happily do it, but the implications of doing it to a car under warranty and for the new MOT guidelines make it a no no for most people.

Absolutely, it's a decision that shouldn't be taken lightly.

The ECU's are leaping forward in terms of the diagnostics and information that they can provide than those designed 5 or 6 years ago...

For example, a condition of the fitting of the Esseesse kit to the A500 is that the car has not been redlined for more than one minute within the first 12m/ 12,000miles. This is all logged on the ECU.

You could argue what is the purpose of the rev limiter then? To protect the engine from catostrophic failure...however this kind of monitor provides accurate and valid information when a claim is made.

It also logs what changes and when a connection to the ECU is made.

Big brother can and is now watching you.
H11LGX   
Fri May 27 2011, 06:36am
Member No: #19835
And this is exactly why I ordered the 110 engine, rather that the 90. It has already had the Citroen 'tuning' treatment, and won't give me grief, as I will expect it to cover 25-30k miles per annum.
Dave_Retired.   
Fri May 27 2011, 07:25am

It is one way though to get buyers to choose a larger engined car which costs more.................
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jun 01 2011, 10:17am

Had a word with Nigel from Angel Tuning and the outcome of the conversation was:

New cars have a secured ECU that can't be easily mapped. This applies to most cars built after March 2009 and is rolling out

It is possible to re map a new C4, DS4 DS3 but it's more complex to do and you need to take it to 'Warwick' as it can't be done at home.

From my perspective it then appears that the car won't meet 'Type Approval' specification when it gets to it's first MOT and the new rules for those start late this year.

All in all, a bit of a nightmare scenario
Stuey   
Wed Jun 01 2011, 10:30am
Member No: #84
Looks like the rise of the tuning box is upon us, well turbo'd engines anyway.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member