or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

DPFS - Filter regeneration indicator

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
marek   
Tue May 24 2011, 10:45am
Member No: #17389
Because I couldn't find any information about it here, I've decided to share this information with you.

In the begining I want to admit, this is not my idea - I found this info on the polish forum about Citroen. Idea is very simple - but great

Most of us have a DPFS filter in the car. From time to time filter has to burn the soot and other particles trapped in it. Of course we don't want to interrupt this process. Sometimes we can notice that the process has started, but not every time. When it begins, car's computer will turn on the rear window heating as well as the wing mirrors heating (the window heating indicator on the dashboard will stay turned off, so you won't even notice that)

Idea is simple:

1. remove the mirror glass from the driver's side wing mirror

2. take 12V led and connect it to the heating element built into the mirror

3. put the mirror back in its place

Now, every time your car will decide to burn the soot from DPFS filter you'll know about it - because the led light will light up. Now you'll know that you need to make another round around your home and wait for the process to end )

Below is the picture of the led installed on my C4GP

ps. sorry for my english - I hope you'll understand the idea ))

1 User said Thank You to marek for this Post :
 iscom (29 Feb 2012 : 06:27)
Dave_Retired.   
Thu May 26 2011, 08:40am

Member No: #1
Interesting, but for a lot of drivers probably not necessary. It's probably those that always do short journeys, commutes to work etc. that may need to be aware.
Biohead   
Thu May 26 2011, 10:49am

Member No: #6049
Hmmm.... tempting! Wonder if this also applies for the Coupe/Hatch.
PPP7   
Thu May 26 2011, 05:00pm
Member No: #135
marek wrote ...

Now, every time your car will decide to burn the soot from DPFS filter you'll know about it - because the led light will light up. Now you'll know that you need to make another round around your home and wait for the process to end )

I don't use the car for short journeys, so not of any use to me.

Not really sure what the benefit is of doing this?
BigJohnD   
Thu May 26 2011, 05:27pm

Member No: #82
marek wrote ...

Most of us have a DPFS filter in the car. From time to time filter has to burn the soot and other particles trapped in it. Of course we don't want to interrupt this process. Sometimes we can notice that the process has started, but not every time. When it begins, car's computer will turn on the rear window heating as well as the wing mirrors heating (the window heating indicator on the dashboard will stay turned off, so you won't even notice that)

So why does the rear screen and mirror heater come on? And how did you find that out?
marek   
Fri May 27 2011, 03:12am
I live in London and I do a lot of short journeys. That's why I find it useful.

Re: Not really sure what the benefit is of doing this?
For example, to avoid situation like this (copied from our faq #44 - Click Here -

| Question:

The glow plug symbol is flashing. Why? What should be done?

Answer:

The DPF regeneration has not been completed during normal driving and now DPF has reached its maximum saturation at which it can still be regenerated. The limit value depends on variant and Model Year, but is in the range of 105% - 125%.

Possible causes for this are:

a.) Frequent short distance journeys, i.e. high soot loading while at the same time regeneration of the DPF does not take place because the conditions necessary were not fulfilled.

b.) Frequent interrupted regenerations, i.e. the engine was switched off during regeneration. Applies to short journey drivers who have at least fulfilled the conditions for triggering regeneration.

Re: So why does the rear screen and mirror heater come on? And how did you find that out?

The rear screen and mirror heaters come on to put more load on the engine. This is only for rising the temperature of exhaust gases - it's necessary to start the process of burning soot in the filter.

Originally this information comes from the polish Peugeot fan website, then some guys from polish Citroen forum tested it on citroen cars with success.
1 User said Thank You to marek for this Post :
 iscom (29 Feb 2012 : 06:29)
marek   
Fri May 27 2011, 01:35pm
Hi,
Just to let you know... today on my way home from work I spent some time sitting in the traffic. I have noticed, that the led installed a coupe of days ago was turned on. It was the process of burning the soot from the DPFS filter. I could smell it around the car.

To make led more visible I decided to move it to the bottom left corner of the mirror.
Below is the picture of the led light on (notice, that the rear screen heating indicator is still off).

Dave_Retired.   
Fri May 27 2011, 02:06pm

I would imagine you spend a lot of time sitting in traffic in London. My son lives in the East End and I know from experience of visiting him how congested things can be at times.
Jips   
Fri May 27 2011, 04:05pm
Member No: #4184
Which connectors did you connect the LED to inside the mirror. Was thinking of having a bash at this tomorrow
marek   
Sat May 28 2011, 04:55am
when you unclip the mirror glass you will see two cables plugged into the mirror heating mat (matt is attached to the back of the mirror). That's the connectors you are looking for
2 User said Thank You to marek for this Post :
 Jips (28 May 2011 : 05:03) ,  (04 Dec 2011 : 16:39)
craig573   
Mon Feb 13 2012, 11:39am
Member No: #22671
Going to give this try as I do a mix of a lot of medium/short journeys, let's see if it works on the coupe?
craig573   
Wed Feb 15 2012, 07:19am
Ok done this mod this morning and fitted an LED to the wing mirror connection.

Ok got into the car and started driving the LED was off after about 30 seconds the LED came on for approx 30 seconds and went off again for approx 30 seconds and came back on 30 seconds later and off again and then back on permanently for approx 10 minutes, this cycle was repeated for approx 40 minutes of driving and pulled up outside the house with the LED still on.

Has any one got any conclusions of this LED sequence?
marek   
Wed Feb 15 2012, 05:24pm
Hi,
My led comes on regularly every 400-500 miles, every time for the period of about 10 minutes.
Because led is connected to the heating mat of the mirror I would suggest checking if your electric installation is ok (there is no reason for the heating mat to be turned on and off every 30 seconds).
craig573   
Thu Feb 16 2012, 08:00am
marek wrote ...

Hi,
My led comes on regularly every 400-500 miles, every time for the period of about 10 minutes.
Because led is connected to the heating mat of the mirror I would suggest checking if your electric installation is ok (there is no reason for the heating mat to be turned on and off every 30 seconds).

Well I do have an fault code P2563 and EML on the car at the moment and I am just waiting to get a new turbo fitted, will see how it goes once the new turbo is fitted as this could be effecting it?
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Feb 16 2012, 09:05am

P2563 - Click Here -

It might not be the actual turbo if you read the document I linked to
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member