or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

C4 Plastic cover lower windscreen seal

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Clivey   
Thu Oct 14 2010, 07:31am
Member No: #1742
BigJohnD wrote ...

Seems to me you've had a new windscreen put in at sometime and it's been very badly fitted.

Hi John, was that directed at me?
merdzo   
Thu Oct 14 2010, 01:31pm
Hi,

Well, my cover keeps sliding of the windscreen. Every now and then I have to put it back on.

lp
BigJohnD   
Thu Oct 14 2010, 05:44pm

Member No: #82
Clivey wrote ...

BigJohnD wrote ...

Seems to me you've had a new windscreen put in at sometime and it's been very badly fitted.

Hi John, was that directed at me?

Sorry, Clivey, yes it was. Has a replacement screen been fitted at sometime?
Clivey   
Fri Oct 15 2010, 04:04am
BigJohnD wrote ...

Sorry, Clivey, yes it was. Has a replacement screen been fitted at sometime?

No, definitely not (if a fitter fitted a windscreen that badly, I would reject the work) - When I bought the car (pre-registered from Citroen Birmingham), all trim in that area fitted perfectly. As I said, my best guess is that the actual action of the seal detaching itself from the 'screen has been enough to also dislodge the surrounding trim. I can't think of another explanation!
merdzo   
Fri Oct 15 2010, 05:22am
automatic carwash perhaps?
Clivey   
Fri Oct 15 2010, 06:02am
merdzo wrote ...

automatic carwash perhaps?

Again, I don't use them (for fear of damage and because 99% of them don't give a satisfactory finish) - I'm a self-confessed car nut and try to take as much care of my car as possible...it just seems that it's disassembling itself!
Clivey   
Sat Oct 16 2010, 06:19am
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the double post, but I'm after some opinions on how best to go about refitting / repairing the trim around my windscreen. I really don't want to leave it like that during the winter months.
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Oct 16 2010, 07:37am

Member No: #1
Replace them with new ones or glue them back are your options.
Clivey   
Mon Oct 18 2010, 06:48pm
C6 Dave wrote ...

Replace them with new ones or glue them back are your options.

Hmmm...the scuttle panel (which looks like it's made of several different types of plastic bonded together) and the trims on the A-pillars aren't lining-up correctly - they can't just be glued. It looks like I'll have to find-out how it all comes apart and strip it down to find-out what's happened / refit it properly - which is a PITA as I've just moved house and A: Haven't much spare time and B: Need the car 100% functional as I have to use it for work.

Oh well...I keep reminding myself that every car has its' faults, and at least mine isn't a boring Focus / Golf!
bigstan   
Sun May 22 2011, 04:25pm
Member No: #18724
Right, I would love some help here as this leaking windscreen problem has already given me a faulty fuse box so it's going from bad to worse.

I have the magic clips as described in these windscreen problem threads, as shown by my photo below;

But as you can see there are two curves on each side of the windscreen that the clips do not cover. I would like to ask how everyones plastic cover (that attaches to the clips) that has the rubber edge, seals to the window at these points, because this is were the majority of the water is entering. Is the rubber edge tight to the glass or is it bonded by something?

I did take it to Citroen on a recent service and have them check it out, but I was unbelievably told that's the way it is, even allowing water to drip onto the felt/chip board cover underneath. All they suggested was to refit everything again, which would not solve the problem as I have just tried it.

The only other thing I can think of is that due to the age of my car (2004) the rubber at the edge of the plastic cover has degraded and is not firm/strong enough to press against the glass, so a replacement cover maybe needed?

I am at my wits end because I can't go ahead and fix my electrical faults caused by the damp in the fuse box, until the leaking windscreen is fixed and Citroen have been no b loody help at all!
MiniPaulo   
Sun May 22 2011, 04:59pm
Member No: #13367
I am 80% sure that when I had mine off, there was a moulded cover under the scuttle panel to guide water away to the drainage holes at the side of the car by the wings and away from the electrics... (I could be imagining this though and actually thinking of my old car which I had the scuttle off only a month before doing the C4s.)

**updt found pic, I think you referred to this bit as a felt/chip board cover:
bigstan   
Mon May 23 2011, 05:47am
Member No: #18724
@minipaulo
A water guide would make sense, but there was nothing like that on mine when I took it apart. But it was just like in your picture with the felt/chip board cover directly underneath.
Gerry C   
Sun Jun 05 2011, 01:15pm
Member No: #2282
Thanks for this post, I hve been trying to figure out howto repair the seal for months, had it fixed in 10 minutes after seeing this.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Jun 05 2011, 01:31pm

Member No: #1
Your welcome
PentlandC4   
Sun Jun 19 2011, 07:15am
Member No: #13613
Hmm, I've repaired the trim several times with silicon, and the weight of the panel beneath that (the one that supports the brake fluid reservoir) eventually pulls it back off!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member