or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Cleaning Products

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Chris89   
Tue May 17 2011, 04:36pm
Well it's getting to that stage again where the bottles of polish and wax are nearly empty. I have been using meguires products for the last number of months and have found them to be very good. I'm wondering is there anything else on the market that would be better? I am interested in getting some high quality polish and wax, any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Chris
neilos   
Tue May 17 2011, 06:18pm
Member No: #209
I like Autoglym HD wax....gives a great shine without being stupidly expensive. I believe they now have an HD polish too.
mossleyC4   
Wed May 18 2011, 01:37am
If your paint is in good nick, I find you cant go wrong with Auto Glym Ultra Deep Shine, topped with Extra Gloss Protection.

The Ultra Deep wax is particuarly good with black, but i find it gives exceptional results with all colours. It is very easy to apply (smells of apple!) and just as easy to get off as long as you dont bake it on in the sun! Dont confuse with AG Super resin - thats a different animal altogether.

Pay about £12-15 for the wax and about £9 for the EGP. I have used it for about 18 months or so, and have only re-applied twice, giving you some idea of the quality of the finish.

Cheers
Karle

Rich_Eason   
Wed May 18 2011, 01:58am

Member No: #90
I recently picked up a couple of bottles of 5l Turtle Wax Concentrated Demon Shine from Halfords for £9.99 each reduced from £19.99.

I originally purchased it as a lubricant for clay baring, complete polish and wax of the A500. Now I am left with 9l of Demon Shine concentrate which is going to last me AGES...

Mix it into a spray bottle (i use an old 1litre sray bottle) and spray over the car following a wash. It makes the weekly wash so much easier as it acts as both a drying agent and leaves a good layer of "shine" on the car (whatever it is it provides excellent beading) and makes subsequent cleans alot easier.

I've also been using MucOff bike cleaner for my alloys, Eco Friendly and zero chemicals and doesnt leave unsightly staining that some proprietary alloy cleaners do.
Chris89   
Wed May 18 2011, 07:24am
I am a very keen detailer to the extent that the car is done properly every saturday and i'm now even doing family and friends cars aswell.

Nice to hear a review on Damon Shine, have seen this advertised and always wondered if it really worked.

In regards to all the auto glym products, it is not a brand that i have used a lot apart from the polish but have been tempted by the hd wax.

I was looking at getting a good carbonara wax but there are so many products on the market and it kinda confuses me tbh.

For reff, i have an artic silver C4 coupe.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed May 18 2011, 07:43am

Member No: #1
Chris89 wrote ...

I was looking at getting a good carbonara wax but there are so many products on the market and it kinda confuses me tbh.

Swissvax Onyx, though bottom of their range and still expensive is good and tried and tested by me

Review: - Click Here -
Rich_Eason   
Wed May 18 2011, 08:53am

Chris89 wrote ...

Nice to hear a review on Damon Shine, have seen this advertised and always wondered if it really worked.

As I say it's not a substitute for a full blown polish and wax but it certainly works well and buying the concentrate makes financial sense (at the offer price) as for 1 litre its about £8 a bottle...

Here is a pic of our A500 parked up at the Bristol Italian Auto Moto Festival. On arrival a quick once over the car with the Demon Shine and everything was ready. The picture was taken with a Polarising filter on the lens so some of the reflection has been reduced, plus grey isn't the best colour achieving depth of shine.

Chris89   
Wed May 18 2011, 02:33pm
Dave.. I have read your post on Swissvax before and it was deff one I was considering. Any of the good waxes in that bracket won't be cheap, was thinking of spend about just over £100 renewing polish, wax and car wash.

Rich_Eason.. Your A500 certainly looks the part! Even tho it has that lens on the camera you can still see the gleam off the car. I would do a lot of detailing for family Nd friends so that could deff be a worth while investment.
Cra1g   
Thu May 19 2011, 03:38am
I have a black C4, and the colour never seems to have any depth to it, which is frustrating as hell.

I use AG Cleaner and AG Super Resin Polish. I've never waxed before nor Clay Bared, but really thinking of doing it next weekend.

Ideally I'd like a polish/wax for a black car as the AG stuff leaves white marks in small cracks ie between bumper and wheel arch etc.

Any suggestions?

Rich_Eason   
Thu May 19 2011, 07:09am

Cra1g wrote ...

Ideally I'd like a polish/wax for a black car as the AG stuff leaves white marks in small cracks ie between bumper and wheel arch etc.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you are applying too much.

All you are trying to achieve is a light haze. The Ultra Deep Shine is a pain to apply at the best of times, however I have found in the past that it takes a while to completely haze over. Once hazed over its a PITA to get off and needs some serious elbow grease.

As for achieving a depth of shine, the only real way this can be achieved if the car has not had a consistent wash and clean through its life is to machine polish it.
Ham   
Thu May 19 2011, 09:38am

Member No: #69
Like Rich says, you maybe applying too much at a time, are you doing it in the sun too or while the body is hot?
If so you would be better getting some thing like poorboys polish and wax.
Cra1g   
Fri May 20 2011, 05:21am
Thinking back, it has been warm when I have polished, but after cleaning the car for some times hoseing down regularly the paint work to the touch isnt hot.

I maticulously clean the car atleast once a week, generally on a day off and it does look clean with no green slimey bits in the small nocks and crannies by the windows etc where u generally see it.

My car has a dull, not deep colour to it.

Im unsure if Im applying too much polish, I put a small bead of it on an applicator, and move in circular motions covering about 1ft by 1 ft of body work.

I've heard that you can apply many applications of poilsih, so put it on, buff it off, put it on, buff it off to give a real long lasting shine.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member