or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

C4 1.6 e-HDi Airdream Exclusive

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
cynic12   
Mon May 16 2011, 03:05pm
I finally picked up my shiny new car in 'Shark Gray' the other day. It actually turned out to be cheaper to buy the car online, fly down to London and drive it all the way back up to Edinburgh than go to my local dealer, but it gave me the chance to have a nice long drive up and figure out the rather bewildering array of buttons.

I specced the car with eMyWay/Denon soundsystem, full leather and panoramic sunroof as well as the rest of the standard gadgetry.

Some initial thoughts;
  • It's moderately easy to drive the EGS gearbox smoothly in manual mode, but you're stuck with 2 second long slow motion gear changes in automatic. The number on the dashboard change before the gear disengages, so if you want to ease off on the accelerator before the automatic gearchange happens you can do it by paying attention to the dial, and not nearly enough on the road. Despite that it's fun on country roads, simple on motorways, and only a minor pain around town.
  • Coming from a 140hp TDI engine, I was pleasantly surprised how responsive and nippy the 110hp 1.6 e-HDI engine was. I even managed the spin the wheels a few times while I was getting used to the car. I've yet to try to drive it to it's limits, but no complaints so far.
  • eMyWay is pretty slick looking, although for some reason I was expecting a touchscreen. The navigation could do with some work though, as the buttons used aren't very intuitive, and it took me a long while to work out how to do simple operations like stop navigating, or ask it to divert me around roadworks. The iPod integration works, although clicking the 'List' button only sometimes brings up a list of tracks, and sometimes not - it's not really an issue since you can still skip tracks forward and backwards using a scroll wheel on the steering wheel.
  • The Denon sound system is pretty good, nicely balanced mid/bass and treble. Music with bass sounds nice and thumpy, music with real instruments sounds crystal clear, it's not something to make an audiophile weak at the knees, but it beats most stock systems by a mile.
  • The leather seats are very comfy, didn't get sweaty after 4 hours of solid driving, and when I accidentally switched on the seat heating it was fairly instant. I don't rate the massage feature, but they do the job otherwise.
  • Panoramic sunroof is slick and adds a great feeling of space to the car.
And some other minor negatives and niggles;
  • The dashboard creaks and clicks a little with sun/AC - hopefully it will calm down, and hopefully not a return to the quality dashboard on my early c3 which started shedding plastics within a month of buying the car!
  • Phone integration doesn't work on all phones - mine should support address book synching via bluetooth but Citroen don't support my exact model and presents me with a big red error message every time I turn the car on.
  • It refrigerated my phone and iPod.
  • Every car I've ever bought has come with carpet mats - even base-spec ones, if my £15k Mercedes can come with some of the highest quality carpeting I've ever seen, I'm sure a £25k car should come with something.
  • The Denon subwoofer is ugly and looks horribly tacked on. I might go as far as getting some acoustic carpeting and covering the thing.
  • The covering in the boot that goes over where the spare wheel should be is very flimsy and thin.
  • The door side pockets are big, but that means everything in them just slides around. I'm adding some sticky matting shortly.
  • The bonnet latch came undone while overtaking on the motorway - the second safety latch caught it and no damage done, I had assumed that the dealer had not shut it properly, but it happened 100 miles later, while cruising at 60 on an empty road. Going to see the dealer tomorrow.
I'll grab some photos tomorrow if the weather improves.
2 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (17 May 2011 : 00:37) , BigJohnD (17 May 2011 : 05:05)
Dave_Retired.   
Tue May 17 2011, 12:38am

Member No: #1
Bonnet latch coming undone is not good and needs checking out a.s.a.p.
BigJohnD   
Tue May 17 2011, 05:05am

Member No: #82
RE: Bluetooth.
Which brand of phone have you got? My HTC connects fine but the address book "People" is an enhanced format with GMail and Facebook links which the radio usually fails to read. It usually picks up the calls history which is fine as it's the people I speak to most!

RE: Bonnet opening.
That's downright dangerous, so get it into the dealer's ASAP.
cynic12   
Tue May 17 2011, 01:30pm
BigJohnD wrote ...

RE: Bluetooth.
Which brand of phone have you got? My HTC connects fine but the address book "People" is an enhanced format with GMail and Facebook links which the radio usually fails to read. It usually picks up the calls history which is fine as it's the people I speak to most!

It's a S2 Skype phone - not really a major issue; I'm not much of a mobile phone person anyway. If I'm away from my desk the last thing I want is people able to contact me. It accepts incoming calls and will make calls if I dial manually so no great loss.
BigJohnD   
Tue May 17 2011, 05:01pm

cynic12 wrote ...
It accepts incoming calls and will make calls if I dial manually so no great loss.

Understood.
cynic12   
Wed May 25 2011, 09:17am
Couple of photos;

BigJohnD   
Wed May 25 2011, 10:01am

Ah! The Exclusive speedo with trip computer.

We mere VTR+ people have this:

and a trip computer owners of the original C4s with Type C displays will recognise.

(And that is dust and filth on the dash you can see in the photos.)
CE08LDB   
Sat Mar 30 2013, 05:21pm
Member No: #5380
My brother has just ordered the exact same car in the same colour minus the options yours has, did pay £75 for a Space Saver Tyre though.

Can't wait till he has it in June.
BigJohnD   
Sat Mar 30 2013, 06:16pm

CE08LDB wrote ...

did pay £75 for a Space Saver Tyre though.

Good move, though my spare wheel is steel with exactly same size Michelin (205/55 R16) as the four alloys.
CE08LDB   
Mon Apr 08 2013, 09:58am
BigJohnD wrote ...

CE08LDB wrote ...

did pay £75 for a Space Saver Tyre though.

Good move, though my spare wheel is steel with exactly same size Michelin (205/55 R16) as the four alloys.

On VTR+ EGS and Exclusive models you get a space saver, same cost as a full size spare mind.

The Pug 508 hire car my bro had, had the trip computer in the middle of the speedo, think only C4s with sat nav gets that and others have the same as yours on the VTR+.
scarbro   
Mon Apr 08 2013, 11:48am
Member No: #153
think only C4s with sat nav gets that and others have the same as yours on the VTR+.

This was changed, summer 2012 I think. My C4 Excl & SatNav came with the standard speedo without the Trip computer screen which is now included within the SatNav screen. A supplement to the handbook confirms this has now been 'updated'.
CE08LDB   
Mon Apr 08 2013, 07:35pm
scarbro wrote ...

think only C4s with sat nav gets that and others have the same as yours on the VTR+.

This was changed, summer 2012 I think. My C4 Excl & SatNav came with the standard speedo without the Trip computer screen which is now included within the SatNav screen. A supplement to the handbook confirms this has now been 'updated'.

Ah I see, I was Reading the March 2013 Brochure earlier The C4 VTR+ and Exclusive No Comes With A DAB Stereo.

I Asked Citroen UK on Facebook about the mirrors tilting when reversing but Tey Said No.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member