or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Minor corrosion

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
PentlandC4   
Sun Apr 17 2011, 01:56pm
Member No: #13613
Does anybody have recent experience of getting minor corrosion looked after?

My C4's previous owner didn't get the corrosion warranty inspection carried out at 4 years, and the car is now six years old.

One of our plans for the C4 is to keep it running until it gives up, and bearing that in mind, I have spotted a couple of areas of minor corrosion.

One is at the leading edge of the rear offside wheelarch, in other words where the metal is turned into the wheelarch and joins the wheelarch liner. The other (and I think that this is related to a body repair carried for the former owner) is some bubbling at the base of the offside rear door, visible when the door is open (it's at the join of the inner and outer skins of the door).

The harsh winter probably didn't help and I'm keen to avoid it getting any worse: any tips? I'm assuming that I should go and get some quotes for getting it tidied up, though as they're not immediately obvious areas of the car I'd consider a DIY repair.

I remember the fanfare at the launch of the original C3, and its galvanised body, but I'm assuming that the C4 doesn't enjoy the same luxury!
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Apr 18 2011, 01:01am

Member No: #1
Front wings are basically a form of 'plastic' so where is the actual point of corrosion on them?
PentlandC4   
Mon Apr 18 2011, 01:04am
It's the rear offside wheelarch...
mezzer   
Mon Apr 18 2011, 06:25am
Dont think the post mentioned corrosion on the front wings?

My C4 is now over 5 years old and I give the car a good clean the other week and found no signs of corrosion anywhere- I was pleasently surprised!

I think you are best getting the areas you mention treated/repaired by a good body shop this summer, as you know once rust has started it is difficult to stop.
PentlandC4   
Mon Apr 18 2011, 07:01am
Thanks Mezzer, I think you're right. It's actually pretty rare to see rust on a Citroen. There does seem to a have been a body repair made at some point, so it's probably down to that.

Just need to find a good body shop now...
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Apr 18 2011, 07:45am

Member No: #1
My mistake, thought I had read front when it actually says 'rear' mind you I hadn't been up long
PPP7   
Mon Apr 18 2011, 02:28pm
Member No: #135
The only rust I have seen on mine is at one of the jacking points.

I would guess this is quite normal to have a bit of surface rust underneath?

The actual bodywork has no rust that I remember seeing.
PentlandC4   
Sat May 07 2011, 02:16pm
Well, seeing as the weather was nice (more or less) I decided to have a go at the minor rust spot myself.

It's just inside the offside rear door, at its base. From its position it looks like it's been caused by a poor previous repair, rather than trapped water. I also tackled the return lip on the offside rear wheelarch - it looks like the edge has been shotblasted by the grit through the winter.

I realise that the repair might not last, but so long as it doesn't get worse and is tidied up for the next winter, I'm not too worried.

I picked up a colour matched 400ml aerosol and a 500ml primer aerosol, plus three sheets of sandpaper for just over £18 from Finishing Services in Edinburgh, which works out pretty cheap - - Click Here -

If the weather's a bit better next week I'll do the lacquer coat.

Next up, I'm waiting for some C4 mudflaps from eBay. The paint at the front of the nearside cill is being stripped, and again I think that it's the masses of grit acting like shotblasting on the car. It hadn't occurred to me before, but 500+ miles a week of winter motorway driving starts to show on the car.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member