or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

The New C4

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
DLJ   
Fri Apr 15 2011, 11:06am
Member No: #439
I have (three weeks ago) bought a new C4 VTR+ airdream with the egs box having traded in a VTR+ with egs, I believe that the new car is better than the older version, but miss the auto lights, wipers and mirror, I know that these are available as an extra but bought this as a pre registered car and got an ex deal, it had done 4 miles on receipt and now 850. I dont miss the panoramic roof nor the auto air con, the roof increased road noise and the air con whilst being good was a toy that was hardly used! normally both sides being set to the same level, having said that it was useful to be able to press a button for demist I guess.

I had my old C4 for three years it was a 56 reg and never had a problem other than things like new brake disks and pads at around 48K, used to do high 60s mpg on a run and rarely less than 58 around town. All in all an ex motor, would I recomend it yes I would.

The new C4 is said to be better related to fuel consumption but needs to be run in first I guess ie freeing the engine up.

I would recomend the new car but not at list price which for mine was just over 20K although I paid a lot less than that and got a good part ex for mine, time will tell but at this time I am pleased with the newer version, although I do miss the old gal quite a lot!!
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Apr 15 2011, 11:45am

Member No: #1
Don't forget to come back with updates as the miles build.
BigJohnD   
Fri Apr 15 2011, 11:49am

Member No: #82
Did you get auto-folding door mirrors and reversing sensors?

Your initial appraisal is just like mine, though I have 90 HDi manual VTR+.
DLJ   
Fri Apr 15 2011, 12:15pm
Yes it does have folding mirrors and reverse sensors and stop/start tech which initially takes a little getting used to, engine cuts at 5mph with foot on brake and starts when brake releases, it is instant and seems to be good, initially I found myself breaking to hard and lurching to a stop, but after a while breaked normally and now used to it.
BigJohnD   
Mon Apr 18 2011, 05:53pm

I did my first serious journeys over the weekend.

250+ miles with 60mpg showing on the trip computer with almost 600 miles left in the tank! (They'd have been better if it wasn't for dreadful traffic in Bradford.)

The speedo over reads by 3mph so the numbers are probably marginally generous, but still they're very good.

I noticed today that:
1) there's no temperature gauge;
2) the bonnet release is between the hinges of passenger's side; door so the bonnet can not be opened unless the door is wide open.
3) the bonnet stay is on the other side from the "old" C4;
4) the wipers are still LHD;
5) there's a keyhole in the driver's door!!
6) I think the remote fob is programmable so that pressing "unlock" only opens the driver's door (still working on that one).
routemaster1   
Tue Apr 19 2011, 01:25am
Member No: #574
BigJohnD wrote ...

I think the remote fob is programmable so that pressing "unlock" only opens the driver's door (still working on that one).

If it's the same as the newer C4GPs, its simply ticking a box in the computer configuration menu.
BigJohnD   
Tue Apr 19 2011, 03:21am

I need a few minutes to check that, thanks.

The new three button remote fob has the key blade twisted through 90° (so you can see the pattern when it's closed) and the middle button just opens the boot.

I also discover a separate rear child lock switch on the dash as well as the usual rear window lock on the driver's armrest.
keith   
Tue Apr 19 2011, 05:39am
BigJohnD wrote ...

I noticed today that:
1) there's no temperature gauge;

I hope there is a warning light!
BigJohnD   
Tue Apr 19 2011, 05:56am

keith wrote ...

I hope there is a warning light!

There is:

keith   
Tue Apr 19 2011, 07:37am
Neat!
Being thick what is "fixed red"?
CamM   
Tue Apr 19 2011, 07:40am

Member No: #19249
keith wrote ...

I assume it means that the light is constantly showing, as opposed to flashing/blinking.
1 User said Thank You to CamM for this Post :
  (19 Apr 2011 : 09:46)
Cra1g   
Tue Apr 19 2011, 08:09am
CamM wrote ...

keith wrote ...

I assume it means that the light is constantly showing, as opposed to flashing/blinking.

Exactly what CamM said.
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
  (19 Apr 2011 : 09:46)
DLJ   
Fri May 13 2011, 11:40am
From DLJ, now 2 months ownereship (nearly) 1900 miles on the clock and fuel consumption appears to be high 50s around town and high 60s on a run, longest run was to Oxford about 130 miles, car so far is faultless and more comfortable than my prev C4, still miss it though! Still not run in though I guess, because at the moment its on a par with my previous VTR+ EGS C4. and should according to the blurb be better.

After three weeks of ownership got a recall for a software update something to do with engine power under certain conditions, dont know what, neither did the delaership or they were not telling, it took about two hours in total having to be downloaded over the net.

Still getting used to stop start, sometimes when stopped for a few seconds it seems to struggle to get going again, although might be my imagination! not sure. Spent a lot of time in traffic coming through the Dartford nightmare and up the A13 towards Sadlers Farm yesterday at rush hour and although slow progress, the computer said that the engine stop time was 5 mins, I guess if you commute (which I dont), 5mins a day would add up to a lot over a years motoring.
I am trying to work out

a) Power steering oil or electric, can see a resorvoir but no pump, although somewere I read that its electric.

b) It says a combined starter come alternator but I can see what appears to be a normal alternator at the front driven by the normal type of belt, so confused from Essex.

Any body answer these questions please.

regards DLJ
H11LGX   
Wed May 18 2011, 09:34am
Member No: #19835
Sounds great. I have ordered my new car. Thought about the EGS, but never used it, and have got on fine with the manual in my C5.

All the 'extras' mean the spec is close to what I have in the 5 and I ticked the box for auto pack, as the 5 has that as standard.

I was happy to wait, but I have joined here and read this, and now I cant wait.
BigJohnD   
Wed May 18 2011, 01:03pm

H11LGX wrote ...
I ticked the box for auto pack, as the 5 has that as standard.

Good move, I wish I'd done that. Auto-lights and auto-wipers are so civilised.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member