or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

BJD's (now not so) New (B7) 2010 C4 1.6 HDi

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Magistrate   
Mon Jun 18 2018, 05:12am
Member No: #1731
The cynical may think they were trying to inflate the price by selling you a new battery. My C4 is now 10 years old and has a full service history from Citroen, always looked after by a dealership in Stafford. The last time I was there for a service, timing belt and front brake replacement they were undergoing major restoration in the Citroen dealership section and I have to admit customer service was awful. I suppose many people will ask why we persist in using Citroen with our aging cars. For me, product knowledge is important as is the fixed prices that independants find difficult to match. Fortunately for me there are two dealerships within spitting difference, I wont be going the Stafford ever again particularly when I was told by the service manager it was about time I got rid of it. 34000 mile and as unmarked as the day it left thee showroom!
BigJohnD   
Mon Jun 18 2018, 06:08am

Member No: #82
Magistrate wrote ...
I have to admit customer service was awful. I suppose many people will ask why we persist in using Citroen with our aging cars

The prime reason is they (should) have all the expertise and information, and owners don't face prejudicial statements about French cars.

Fortunately, I have another Citroën nearby as well an independent.

And listening to experiences of family members, VW, Audi and BMW are no better in terms of service, quality and price.
routemaster1   
Mon Jun 18 2018, 08:08am
Member No: #574
I have found that, if there is an issue, I can talk to the technician, I have been in the workshop to view and discuss an aircon problem, and if I feel that it is necessary, I have been in contact with the service manager. I needed to do that to ensure I got my car back after the issue with the Adblue tank.

Almost invariably, I get a phone call to ask if I was completely satisfied with my visit. Of course, after the latest issue when I actually have some comments, they haven't called!
FrankBullitt   
Tue Jun 19 2018, 03:36am

Member No: #19238
It intrigued me the way different dealers approach this - I always found Duxford superb in this respect, more than happy for me to go through an issue with the tech in the workshop and very open and friendly, never a sense of being pushed into unwarranted work - the same for Hitchin Audi who look after my 13 year old A2 (and have done for 13 years!), the aftersales team are always helpful and friendly despite being part of a big group (they don’t charge me for courtesy cars despite it being policy) and always happy to mention the tech’s like seeing my old A2 return and it’s a bit of a talking point.

Contrast that with other dealers I’ve used in the recent past and I know we are lucky - likewise my Dad had his Honda dealer (Stockton on Tees) try to shaft him after a change of ownership so he now goes all the way to Scarborough for service.

Ultimately it’s all down to people.
BigJohnD   
Tue Nov 20 2018, 05:25am

The C4 has passed its MoT this morning - no advisories. So the diesel VTR+ continues to be boring. And regularly turns in around 60mpg.

It's 8 years old now and we did over 15,000 miles since the last MoT. The odo now reads a fraction short of 100,000 miles. So many of the parts like bearings and CV joint boots which often give rise to MoT failure are original which I find incredible, though I did replace two rear light bulbs and the number plate which was badly cracked in two places. (Bought online to avoid all the hassle of V5s and ID - said it was for a trailer.) However a cam belt change and Eolys re-fill can't be far away, and the tyres have all done over 30,000 miles and brakes over 40,000. (I do a lot of motorway cruising which is fairly light on tyres and brakes.)

I'm looking to trade-in but still not yet got round to it. I was hoping for a C5 Estate but they're not made any more, so it looks a Skoda Octavia Estate or perhaps a Peugeot 308SW.
BigJohnD   
Wed Jan 09 2019, 06:17am

The C4 is going, at something like 99,850 miles.

I've found a full spec 2016 7 speed DSG diesel Skoda Octavia Estate (just over 2 years old). I've accepted £1,800 for the C4 which is in very good nick really. it's been remarkably reliable, quite quiet and comfortable, and despite being seen as an old man's car, very up to date. It was one of the first, first registered November 2010. I always had to say it was 2011 as otherwise it was assumed it was the earlier style.

I should pick up the Skoda next week.

We need the room for carting stuff about, and Citroen don't do the C5 any more. Their loss.
iscom   
Wed Jan 09 2019, 08:03am
Member No: #20936
That 7 speed DSG box is great, so smooth I think Citroen should have had a box like that (maybe one day )
rusky   
Wed Jan 09 2019, 02:29pm
Member No: #27768
I don't know what Citroen are doing with their cars. The C4 Cactus is a bit quirky, the C5 Aircross is advertised everywhere but not launched yet.

The C4 Spacetourer range is missing items like heated seats that have become the norm on cars costing a lot less.

All the above before we start to look at the DS line!
The DS7 looks to compete with the Peugeot 3008 but costs much more. The DS5 has zero headroom & is expensive.
FrankBullitt   
Wed Jan 09 2019, 11:27pm

Member No: #19238
Sad news your leaving the fold but I know that feeling well, looking across the Citroen range and not having anything that fits your needs - hence the Passat Estate; having said that our car is a 15 plate and the C5 was still in production but try finding one as neither Citroen prompted them nor did people buy them.

I’m sure you will like the Octavia, I think early 1.6TDi’s had a number of issues but they’ve been resolved now.

Not sure I will be back in a Citroen anytime soon, the much delayed C5 hatch/ Estate is still rumoured to be on the way
BigJohnD   
Thu Jan 10 2019, 05:43am

The Citroen salesman was a pain. When I enquired about a C5 Estate, it was as if he hadn't heard me and pointed me to a DS5, which as you says has no room.

Yes, 7 speed gear box was fine. I didn't realise it had 7 speeds until I looked at the dash. It read D5, which I thought was top gear, then as I accelerated it smoothly went to D6, and then D7!

My bank have given me an excellent loan, at nearly half the interest rate of Skoda's 5.25%, so I'm looking to complete tomorrow.

I had an interesting conversaion with the insurers. They asked about reversing sensors (tick), dashcam (transfer from C4 - tick) and autonomous braking. Huh? I spoke to the salesman and apparently it has some sort of front infra-red distance measurement which either gives a warning beep or will slow the car down, and at slow speeds (<50km/h?) it can stop the car if an obstacle (pedestrian?) is detected.

Result: Insurance goes up by £5/year plus a £15 admin fee!

And I've ordered a full size spare wheel and tyre. The car has Michelin 205/55s. Nice.
routemaster1   
Thu Jan 10 2019, 08:13am
Member No: #574
Autonomous braking is now becoming more common. It is advertised on the new C3 as Active Safety Brake, but is only actually available in a £600 option (satnav, emergency and assistance system, Driver Attention Alert, Collision Risk Alert and Intelligent Beam Headlights). The lack of autonomous braking is now enough to reduce the NCAP rating from 5 to 4 stars.

As an aside, the Fiat Panda has just been assessed as 0 stars.
BigJohnD   
Thu Jan 10 2019, 12:54pm

Thanks for EuroNCAP update.

Might avoid the Fiat Panda, though goodness knows what a 2CV would be classed as. Mine had no rear seat belts and although there were anchor points, only two lap belts could be fitted. Forget the rest - though there was an inertial fuel cut-off.
Magistrate   
Fri Jan 11 2019, 02:19am
Member No: #1731
One of my vehicles is a Fiat Panda lounge 2013, an amazingly reliable, economical and practical vehicle. Apparently the Pandas lost their EuroNCAP rating because the current range do not have side curtain air bags that I personally will lose little sleep over. Given the popularity of the model I am sure Fiat will be rectifying this soon.
BigJohnD   
Wed Jan 16 2019, 09:38am

The Skoda's on the drive, no C4 anymore.

First impressions. Masses of room! But the 66 plate Skoda's old fashioned when compared to the 60 plate MkII C4 despite being well equipped. It's nowhere near as sophisticated. The dash is conventional analogue dials - I'd forgotten about them. And the speed limiter is just an audible "bong" - not an electronic limiter like the C4.

The 12V sockets do not switch off when the key's pulled out. This is going to trip me up. I can't believe it. If anything's connected to the boot socket, you'll have to pull it out when the car's stopped. I can see the socket and plug getting damaged.

The 7 speed gear box is very smooth, very good. Definitely push the pedal and forget. The creep when stationary is a bit strong for my liking, and the hill start assist is unnoticeable.

I've found out how to turn the radio off while the stanav's on - seemingly it was both or neither. Radio's good ( DAB) and setting up the Bluetooth was very easy.

I think the Soda's's a bit under powered - 1.6 TDi 110PS in an large estate car. I think C4's 55-60mpg is going to become 45mpg.

Checking out the SatNav is next....
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member