or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Safety and Security

Citroën Security. Found unlocked?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
peedoff   
Tue Apr 05 2011, 05:49pm
Does anyone know of any break-ins without damage? I woke to find my car unlocked and sat nav gone... I thought I may have left it unlocked (although I was pretty sure I locked it). I've now found out that another Citroen owner around the corner had his sat nav stolen the same night again without damage and the car unlocked?

Any ideas on how the little [%*^#@!] do this and is this a common problem?
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 01:06am

Member No: #1
No idea how it was done and yours is the first post on it we have had.

So, what model and year C4 have you got, was the dead locking and alarm set?
Cra1g   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 03:01am
Sorry to hear about the lil tea leafs!

Dave, when you say Dead locking, what is this? I've always pressed the "lock" button twice on the car.

But I do know if I keep it pressed the lights flash like mad, and the internal lights come on for a while.

What is this?
neilos   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 03:09am
Member No: #209
Sorry.....but you kept your satnav in your car? Madness...... No wonder the thieving gits targeted you then.......

As to the car being open.....not 100% sure but someone can always 'grab' the code with a radio scanner when you are unlocking the car.....then the simply unlock it again when you have gone.

I did however think that the newer Citroens had a rolling code to prevent this.......
trev h   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 03:16am
Member No: #10864
Peedoff, what type of sat nav did you have, a built in citroen one myway, navidrive, or a tom tom type. not too far away if they've found a way to break in. might be worth a trip to the boot fair on thamesmead, stuff normally ends up there.
PPP7   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 06:19am
Member No: #135
I am not surprised it was stolen if it was left in the car.

Some time ago I read about a gadget thieves can use that can tell if you have computers or satnav in the car, even when hidden in boot or glovebox.

neilos   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 06:45am
Member No: #209
Yep.....they use a bluetooth enabled phone.....it will scan for any other device that uses a bluetooth connection.
Rich_Eason   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 07:15am

Member No: #90
$115 USD will get you a Scanner Reader and Jammer delivered with a range of 100m and store 30 codes.

Also has fake rolling codes to disable any further coding...

All avaliable from China.

No amount of dead locking will prevent entry. Bottom line is, if its valuable dont leave it in the car.

A friend of mine had her MINI done the same way along with 5 other cars in the street. Thankfully nothing was taken from hers however the Police think that who ever did it was sat in the adjacent Pub Beer Garden watching for people getting out of cars and taking their chance.
peedoff   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 07:32am
Thanks to all who have replied. Great response!
It’s a 59 grand Picasso. The sat nav (powered off) was in the cooler compartment out of site and I have made a habit of cleaning any screen marks.

It’s not the sat nav I’m bothered about but how they got in? If the code was grabbed wouldn’t the audible bleep sound when they were unlocking?

CCTV going up this W/E. I’ll keep all updated if I manage to find out how they do it.
Darren   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 08:06am
Member No: #5650
Rich_Eason wrote ...

$115 USD will get you a Scanner Reader and Jammer delivered with a range of 100m and store 30 codes.

Also has fake rolling codes to disable any further coding...

All avaliable from China.

No amount of dead locking will prevent entry. Bottom line is, if its valuable dont leave it in the car.

A friend of mine had her MINI done the same way along with 5 other cars in the street. Thankfully nothing was taken from hers however the Police think that who ever did it was sat in the adjacent Pub Beer Garden watching for people getting out of cars and taking their chance.

Is this type of equipment not illegal?
Cra1g   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 09:13am
If it's not I'd be surprised, and sure as hell should be.

Robbing lil B******S. I have scum bags tea leafing! Why can't they work hard, like the vast majority of man kind, and buy there own equipment like we do with our hard earned cash!
pedal   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 09:32am
Member No: #503
sure you didnt just forget to lock it? i have done it a few times.
Rich_Eason   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 09:49am

Member No: #90
Darren wrote ...

Is this type of equipment not illegal?

To make no...

To sell, depends where you are and who you market it at... The advert for that item was written in a way that it was "for a hobbyist"...

To import into the UK...no.

To get caught using it....who knows, my guess would be Yes..."Going equipped".

The only way it can be "illegal" to use in the UK is if it has not been approved by the "UK RF testing agency" for things that transmit and receive HF signals, which lets face it I cant imagine it has been tested or a fine of that nature is particularly harsh. Del Trotter sold Mobiles that changed TV channels...

Its the same situation they had with the radar detectors years back - not illegal to buy, not illegal to own, not illegal to have in your car if switched off...but if you got caught with it on....
DeuxChevaux   
Sun Apr 10 2011, 08:13am
Member No: #16472
Today we went to a car boot sale. I locked the doors of the 2007 C4 1.6hdi SX with the remote. I didn't double lock them. When I returned the doors were unlocked and the passenger window wound down. Nothing seems to be missing.
Its a 2007 model and has only done 16k. Anyone any ideas on this one?
PentlandC4   
Sun Apr 10 2011, 11:18am
Member No: #13613
Were all of the doors fully closed when you locked the car? Wouldn't explain the window being wound down, though!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member