or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

Belgium - 2011 C4 Road Test

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Lukey_luke   
Wed Mar 30 2011, 07:20am
A little introduction to my self and the need of my car. I am 30 year old, living in the south of Belgium. I have a 2 year old girl and a wife. I travel 200km per day to work and back. 75km of motorway driving and 25km of City driving (Brussels).
The C4 2011 has replaced our 2003 1.9TDi golf. We also own a 2010 Freelander2 HSE Auto which is the family wagon.

I looked at all sorts of cars ranging from a Polo to BMW X1, budget was not to import, a car just need to return 7-l per 100 (about 40+mpg i think), take the family when the Freelander was off the road, be safe, comfortable, an automatic and interesting (which ruled out all German cars).

I plan on updating the below from time to time with happy and bad moments of ownership. I believe in constructive feedback so please let me know if you want any details in a different way or if you have any questions.

Pick up date: 20110416
First impressions were amazing, i test drove an older model and a bottom of the range one (but did sit in a 2011 version with leather), but i never thought that the 2011 would feel and drive so refined.

20110427 (two weeks old):
I have now covered 1,700km. There are no faults to report.

Looks, I think the beauty is in the eye of who is looking at it so we all have different opinions. The car looks nice, a litlle like an Astra and a Foucus me thinks.

Inside, Wow, this is a really nice place to be, all the leather, the one peace dash, the steering wheel, the satvav, sun roof. The fridge keeps my bottle of water nice and cold while I am stuff in traffic. The sound system is very good (almost as good at the landrover). I really really rate it inside, this was the main reason why i picked this car because it is interesting as a car can be and when you spend around 16 hours a week it one it helps to be happy.

Practicality, I can not comment to much on this, but it seem to be bigger than the out going golf. The boot does seem to be massive and the room in the back OK. Although, I must admit that the front room is a little small, I am not a very big man, 6 foot 1 and I have the seat set at the very back and it can not go any more, I would maybe like 2cm extra ;-(.

Ride and handing, I have eco auto box, this does take some time to get used to. I actually now really like it, it gives me the lazynice of an auto, but if you just put your foot down, the gear change is rubbish, so you have to come off the gas, wait for it to change and then put you foot back down. It an automatic, that waits to be a manual car. I like it now, but i think my wife is going to find it a right pain when she takes it out. It actually made feel a bit sea sick at first, but not any more.
While driving on the motor way, the car feels super refine at 120-130km (70mph). When pushed (on private land ) to around 150-160km the car feels a little unsure and make you wait to drop down to 130.
Around town the car is very nice indeed, i have never owned a car that reads the road so well and lets you know every single different peace of tarmac you go over. The feel back to the wheel is great. However, when going at speed and turning, say around a slip road onto or off of a motorway, if you hit a bump or a hole in the road the steering wheel really moves and it make you jump and hold the wheel tight.

Performance, it is not as slow as I though it would be. Is not rocket, but it happily pulls you along form overtaking etc. It stops really well as I was test emergences stops last night. The Stop and Start is something else, this is really clever and works extremely well. This is great for an automatic and I would think the manual is just has good. I can not think of why it has taken so long for this technology to come out. Citroen, what a great job you have done getting this SO RIGHT. Well done. Fuel wise, I thought it would be better than my old golf, she used to give me about 5.5 to 5.0 on a non demanding drive home and the C4 is about 5.8 to 6.3. I know people say that new cars need to run in, but i have never really seen an improvement on new cars i have owned.
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (27 Apr 2011 : 10:02)
Lukey_luke   
Wed Apr 27 2011, 08:43am
A little introduction to my self and the need of my car. I am 30 year old, living in the south of Belgium. I have a 2 year old girl and a wife. I travel 200km per day to work and back. 75km of motorway driving and 25km of City driving (Brussels).
The C4 2011 has replaced our 2003 1.9TDi golf. We also own a 2010 Freelander2 HSE Auto which is the family wagon.

I looked at all sorts of cars ranging from a Polo to BMW X1, budget was not to import, a car just need to return 7-l per 100 (about 40+mpg i think), take the family when the Freelander was off the road, be safe, comfortable, an automatic and interesting (which ruled out all German cars).

I plan on updating the below from time to time with happy and bad moments of ownership. I believe in constructive feedback so please let me know if you want any details in a different way or if you have any questions.

Pick up date: 20110416
First impressions were amazing, i test drove an older model and a bottom of the range one (but did sit in a 2011 version with leather), but i never thought that the 2011 would feel and drive so refined.

20110427 (two weeks old):
I have now covered 1,700km. There are no faults to report.

Looks, I think the beauty is in the eye of who is looking at it so we all have different opinions. The car looks nice, a litlle like an Astra and a Foucus me thinks.

Inside, Wow, this is a really nice place to be, all the leather, the one peace dash, the steering wheel, the satvav, sun roof. The fridge keeps my bottle of water nice and cold while I am stuff in traffic. The sound system is very good (almost as good at the landrover). I really really rate it inside, this was the main reason why i picked this car because it is interesting as a car can be and when you spend around 16 hours a week it one it helps to be happy.

Practicality, I can not comment to much on this, but it seem to be bigger than the out going golf. The boot does seem to be massive and the room in the back OK. Although, I must admit that the front room is a little small, I am not a very big man, 6 foot 1 and I have the seat set at the very back and it can not go any more, I would maybe like 2cm extra ;-(.

Ride and handing, I have eco auto box, this does take some time to get used to. I actually now really like it, it gives me the lazynice of an auto, but if you just put your foot down, the gear change is rubbish, so you have to come off the gas, wait for it to change and then put you foot back down. It an automatic, that waits to be a manual car. I like it now, but i think my wife is going to find it a right pain when she takes it out. It actually made feel a bit sea sick at first, but not any more.
While driving on the motor way, the car feels super refine at 120-130km (70mph). When pushed (on private land ) to around 150-160km the car feels a little unsure and make you wait to drop down to 130.
Around town the car is very nice indeed, i have never owned a car that reads the road so well and lets you know every single different peace of tarmac you go over. The feel back to the wheel is great. However, when going at speed and turning, say around a slip road onto or off of a motorway, if you hit a bump or a hole in the road the steering wheel really moves and it make you jump and hold the wheel tight.

Performance, it is not as slow as I though it would be. Is not rocket, but it happily pulls you along form overtaking etc. It stops really well as I was test emergences stops last night. The Stop and Start is something else, this is really clever and works extremely well. This is great for an automatic and I would think the manual is just has good. I can not think of why it has taken so long for this technology to come out. Citroen, what a great job you have done getting this SO RIGHT. Well done. Fuel wise, I thought it would be better than my old golf, she used to give me about 5.5 to 5.0 on a non demanding drive home and the C4 is about 5.8 to 6.3. I know people say that new cars need to run in, but i have never really seen an improvement on new cars i have owned.
2 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (27 Apr 2011 : 10:01) , BigJohnD (27 Apr 2011 : 14:46)
Cra1g   
Wed Apr 27 2011, 09:32am
Nice write up, glad you like the car.

Got any pics of the new beuty?
MevC4vtr   
Wed Apr 27 2011, 11:58am
Glad to read you like your new car. Citroen i think have worked hard in upping the standard of their cars and i hope this continues. Good write up.
Lukey_luke   
Wed Apr 27 2011, 12:20pm
Many people said i was crazy, but those who have sat in her and played with her have said WOW.
I think it helps to have full options.

No photos yet, will try to take some, i might (when i get time) try and do a video review ).
Will keep updating

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member