or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Engine Modifications

Cheetah Box - Views?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Johnnyfive007   
Mon Mar 28 2011, 04:24am
Member No: #1752
Hi Guys,

Firstly, I want to stipulate to Admin/Everyone, I have no affiliation to the product I will describe and nor do I recommend purchasing it. I am purely posting to gauge views/comments.

My brother recently bought, - Click Here - ,one of these for his Renault Megane and swears by it. States that he is getting much more power and improved mpg.

I have contacted the seller regarding one for my VTS (they don't stipulate on the website a VTS so am going to make sure before I purchase).

Just wondered if anyone had an opinion/experience of these. Also, would it be worth trying to do a bulk buy? Anyone interested?

John
Biohead   
Mon Mar 28 2011, 04:47am

Member No: #6049
Simple reason I wouldn't use a tuning box:

The injectors simply let max fuel into the cylinders and the car isn't aware of this - therefore the MPG readings are inaccurate, and on a C4 so will the fuel gauge.

That means you have to calculate your own mpg from how much fuel you're putting in.

That box specifically though is a lot cheaper than the reputable boxes. You should expect to pay £200-£300. That box may just literally flood the cylinders with as much fuel as possible rather than being sensible with it.
Johnnyfive007   
Mon Mar 28 2011, 05:11am
Member No: #1752
Biohead,

Thanks again for comments. As I said it was more a general enquiry as to whether it was a worthwhile option.

I think I'll stick with my plans for a re-map. Just don't tell the missus.

Regards,

John
Biohead   
Mon Mar 28 2011, 10:48am

Member No: #6049
It'd be interesting to get your brother to run it on a dyno with and without the box. At that price, it's certainly buyer beware. On one of the rolling road days a few member went to, a car had a similar tuning box. It pulled a fair bit more power WITHOUT the box.

As for increased MPG... I'd be dubious. Especially if he's only taking readings from the cars computer (all cars will report incorrect MPG readings). Best way is to brim the tank, do a few hundred miles, then brim it again so you know exactly how much has been used.

I'm not saying they're definitely not the answer, but there's a reason remap's are preferred on most unbiased turbo-diesel sites. Particularly on DPF fitted cars. More fuel = more soot = quicker clogged DPF.
PPP7   
Wed Mar 30 2011, 03:43pm
Member No: #135
Some of these so called tuning boxes are just using passive components costing under a tenner and are usually filled with resin so you can't see what you have paid £200 or more for.

The OP's link points to the unit costing £90 and it doesn't have any description apart from it boosts power, so you
can place a safe bet it just contains a resistor and maybe a couple of capacitors. Best to avoid.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member