or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

C4 Grand Bonnet

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
siwilliams   
Tue Feb 22 2011, 07:36am
Hi,
I have just bought a 2007 C4G 1.6HDi and I am very please with it. However yesterday i pulled the bonnet up to help jump start a friends car and noticed that the bonnet on the right hand side (facing the front of the car) doesn't appear to be shutting properly. I cant be sure it wasnt like this when i bought it but i was wondering if anybody else has encountered this or if its meant to be like this? The hindge is solid with no play which makes it seem like a deisgn feature but it doesn;'t look right with the bonnet being raised on the right hand side when closed! Photos below:

trev h   
Tue Feb 22 2011, 08:08am
Member No: #10864
What does the other side look like.
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Feb 22 2011, 08:14am

Member No: #1
It's not right, it should sit down flush.
siwilliams   
Tue Feb 22 2011, 08:15am
The other side is flush.
Looks like i will have to take the black trim off and have a look at the hinge..
neilos   
Tue Feb 22 2011, 08:34am
Member No: #209
Looks like its where the bonnet support strut has had too much stress applied and has bent the bonnet up on that side.
siwilliams   
Tue Feb 22 2011, 08:40am
Just took the trim off, cant see anything out of sorts and also lost one of the black poppers in the process! Think i best let the local garage take a look when it goes in for MOT next month!
HoneyMonster   
Tue Feb 22 2011, 10:30am
Member No: #1443
As said above shouldnt be like that here is a pic of mine from similar angle

Phil   
Tue Feb 22 2011, 01:48pm

Member No: #406
neilos wrote ...

Looks like its where the bonnet support strut has had too much stress applied and has bent the bonnet up on that side.

Yep. Seen a few like it. Usually bonnet prop not clipped away properly and owner has to force bonnet to close. New bonnet hinge and spraying to colour I'm afraid.
siwilliams   
Wed Feb 23 2011, 05:52am
thanks Phil - i think that may explain it as i've looked again and the hidge looks slightly bent on that side. what a pain!
200sx   
Thu Feb 24 2011, 04:38am
Member No: #16753
I posted about the exact same problem a couple of months ago:

- Click Here -

Mine isn't quite as bad as yours, probably double the gap of the good side. My local Citroen garage have confirmed the location of the bonnet prop causes this when the bonnet is propped up for extended periods, usually overnight. Out of the twenty or so used C4GP on the forecourt approximately a two thirds exhibited this problem to some degree.

You may also notice your front wheel arch liners are sagging too, again, quite normal. Newer (58 onwards) cars have an additional lip on the inside of the wing to support the liner.

Another one is the alignment of the front bumper. The locating clips under the headlamps snap causing the bumper to slightly drop and stand proud. The added stress on the bumper also causes a slight gap to appear between the headlamp and wing. Newer cars have stronger mounts.

Just some of the joys of owning an early car I'm afraid.

I'm a little OCD about my cars and if somethings not right I want to know why. I originally suspected a front end collision but after investigating, too many 07 and 57 plate cars show the same issues. Think of it as a design feature.

Judging by the windscreen wipers on Honeymonster's C4GP theirs is a much newer car. Citroen may have uprated the bonnet support or the car is too young to experience this issue, yet...

Off topic, the draft excluder type material between the dash and window either side of the A-pillar. Mine have been applied with a distinct wave in them, both sides, symmetrical. A friends 10 plate car has them deep down so they are not visible through the side windows. Anyone elses 57 plate like this?
1 User said Thank You to 200sx for this Post :
 bsiber (23 Apr 2017 : 10:50)
GerryT   
Thu Feb 24 2011, 01:02pm
200sx wrote ...

Off topic, the draft excluder type material between the dash and window either side of the A-pillar. Mine have been applied with a distinct wave in them, both sides, symmetrical. A friends 10 plate car has them deep down so they are not visible through the side windows. Anyone elses 57 plate like this?

Yes but only on the drives side, i have prodded than with a stick but to no avail
niks   
Sat Feb 26 2011, 11:06pm
Member No: #16266
I believe this occurs when you forget to remove the strut holding up bonnet and try to close your bonnet as most people are now use to the idea of pneumatic struts
bitterlout   
Thu May 30 2013, 08:33am
Member No: #26869
An easy fix! I tried to close my bonnet with the support strut up and ended up with this gap. I fixed it by reopening the bonnet and again putting the strut in place. This time I applied the opposite force and pushed the front right (as you look from the front) of the bonnet upwards with moderate pressure. I closed the bonnet and saw the gap had got smaller and repeated the process until it closed flush again. A bit cheaper than getting a new hinge fitted!
Mobilemule   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 07:49am
Member No: #38206
C4 PICASSO BONNET FIT PROBLEM

My Local Citroen Main dealer recommended fitting a replacement bonnet hinge at a cost of over £300 but I could not agree on their diagnosis or recommendations to cure the gap that appeared between the bonnet and the nearside wing on my 2013 Picasso 5 seater.

I thought that it was bonnet distortion not a hinge problem

The best solution I decided was to correct the distortion in the bonnet itself.

Fitting a new hinge would not produce the desired result as this distortion would still be present and would need to be dealt with even after fitting a new hinge.

So I opened the bonnet leaving the short support rod in place and instead supported it with a stout piece of timber about 2ft in length, placing one end of the length of timber close to the bonnet security catch on the front bulkhead and supporting the bonnet near its front end.

With the bonnet firmly support in this way I applied firm downward pressure to the distorted nearside corner of the bonnet. I did this twice for about 20secs each time, checking to ensure that I was actually making progress, resulting in complete closure of the unsightly gap.

Time taken to remedy the problem approx 7 minutes, cost zero £'s, satisfaction huge.
3 User said Thank You to Mobilemule for this Post :
 BigJohnD (23 Nov 2014 : 08:32) , Voidhawk (02 Sep 2015 : 05:39) , bsiber (23 Apr 2017 : 10:50)
Voidhawk   
Wed Sep 02 2015, 05:39am
Member No: #41910
Also had this problem and Garage suggested the hinge replacement. Thought it was just distortion of the bonnet itself so tried Mobilemule's suggestion and it has worked a treat! 5 minutes work and bonnet is perfectly aligned again. Thank the stars for these forums.
1 User said Thank You to Voidhawk for this Post :
 BigJohnD (02 Sep 2015 : 07:07)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member