or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Interior and lights

DRL

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
earle10   
Mon Jan 31 2011, 05:26pm
Member No: #17358
Looks good
C4Darren   
Thu Feb 03 2011, 08:29am
Member No: #13754
That looks really great, good job. The only thing keeping me from doing this myself is my knowledge of electrical circuits is absolutely dire, haha.
nickyu   
Tue Feb 08 2011, 03:54pm
Member No: #17410
C4Darren wrote ...

That looks really great, good job. The only thing keeping me from doing this myself is my knowledge of electrical circuits is absolutely dire, haha.

Hey, I'm no electrician myself! If you follow those plans you won't have any problems. Its a bit like electrics by numbers, the hardest part will be finding out which wire to tap for the side lights!

nickyu   
Mon Mar 28 2011, 09:32am
Just an update 2months on, no issues with the LEDs I used. Survived the Winter at least!
Darren   
Mon Mar 28 2011, 12:51pm
Member No: #5650
Quoting a thread from a couple of years ago, see below. I do like that layout alot.
Sonny wrote ...

Does anyone know what they've used in grill they've used in the centre of the bumper???

Rich_Eason   
Mon Mar 28 2011, 12:53pm

Member No: #90
Is that his/her name in the rear of the speedo?
Jips   
Sat Apr 02 2011, 10:09am
Member No: #4184
hi nickyu

I like what you have done, and fancy having a go myself, and my brother wants me to make up a unit for him too.

Do you have, by chance, the links to the relays on the maplin site, or the product numbers because I can't find them at all, all I get is pages of different types of relays.

Also, where did you mount your switch. Is it hidden in the engine bay, or, like I was going to do, use a discreet push on push off switch mounted in the dash near your right knee panel?

nickyu   
Tue Apr 05 2011, 03:05am
Jips wrote ...

hi nickyu

I like what you have done, and fancy having a go myself, and my brother wants me to make up a unit for him too.

Do you have, by chance, the links to the relays on the maplin site, or the product numbers because I can't find them at all, all I get is pages of different types of relays.

Also, where did you mount your switch. Is it hidden in the engine bay, or, like I was going to do, use a discreet push on push off switch mounted in the dash near your right knee panel?

I don't have direct links, but they are a very common Relay. 12V Bosch 87A and 87, just ask one of the guys in Maplins they will know. To see what they look like here is one off Amazon: - Click Here -

At the moment I do not have a switch, they just come on when the engine is on, and dim when the main lights come on. At the time of install it was cold outside and got tired of cold hands, so I deferred this part of the install to the summer

But that is my plan, to have a switch somewhere inconspicuous on the dash.
1 User said Thank You to nickyu for this Post :
 Jips (05 Apr 2011 : 10:48)
minotaurus1   
Sat Jul 23 2011, 04:30pm
Member No: #19401
Could somebody explain in detail where to connect day lights "just after ignition"? Where exactly? Somewhere into board under hood or one under steering wheel? To what cable? Could somebody make photo of the place it can be connected to?

Also - I plan to remove fog lights and put in their place LED day lights. I wonder if I could use somehow fog light cable for day lights. Is it possible to set via LEXIA that fog lights act as a day lights (switch on with ignition, switch of when head lamps are on or engine is off)?
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Jul 24 2011, 02:21am

Member No: #1
You can set the headlights to 'Day Light Running' in Lexia, far easier and cheaper than what you propose

However if you read this thread from the beginning it does tell you how they were fitted: - Click Here -
minotaurus1   
Sun Jul 24 2011, 04:36am
Dave, I already read that post - it does not have the information I am looking for.
It has diagram saying "to ignition source" I would like to know precisely where this "ignition source" is located - preferably with photo and arrow saying "use this pink cable" or "you can use this pin from red plug under the steering wheel".
I do not want to connect directly to battery either because it requires a special lamp steering device I do not want to use.

Also I do know that one can use headlights, but I would like to use LED that have low energy consumption. My question is if anybody know if by setup one can use fog lights as day lights.
Or in worst case I have a concept how to automatically switch off the fog lights (future day lights in my plans) when head lights are on, but I would need fog lights stetup in a way to have them always on when engine is running
Biohead   
Sun Jul 24 2011, 04:52am

Member No: #6049
You can't use lexia to setup fog lights as DRLs.

What you could do is use the wiring diagram provided, and locate the DRLs in the foglight location (If you're using the standard halogen fog lights you'll have to adjust the voltages accordingly).

Then use lexia to disable the fog lights completely to avoid canbus errors.
minotaurus1   
Sun Jul 24 2011, 09:47am
Thanks for the quick answer. But what do you mean exactly?
To set daylight for hedlight but output on pin from computer connect to fog lights instead to headlights? Is it being done by separate cable then?

One more thing - I saw on this forum that some new models have led lights next to regular fog lamps. This led lights are DRLs? Maybe it is possible to enable in the system presence of this lamps (even I do not have them in my 2005 C4 model) and than just connect cables to correct outputs on BSI? Is that possible by Lexia?

If I would use hedlights as the DRL by simple setup in Lexia, will day lights give less light (use les energy, be less bright) or it will be only regular lights shining with same power but only difference will be that I can not switch them off?
Also in my country it is not obligatory to have lighting at the back of the car during the day. Only DRL at the front are required. If I enable them in Lexia will only front lights be on, or also the rear ones?
Biohead   
Sun Jul 24 2011, 04:29pm

Member No: #6049
The 2005 model C4 simply doesn't have the option for DRLs. The only thing in Lexia you can do is set "Daytime Running" - where the headlights are on constantly.

Yes, the new models with LEDs next to the foglight are DRLs. Our C4 ECU is not designed for DRLs and so there is nothing for DRLs to plug into. You can't try to add them from a new car.

Daytime Running in Lexia: Turns sidelights and dipped headlights on. I don't know if the rear lights come on.
1 User said Thank You to Biohead for this Post :
 minotaurus1 (30 Jul 2011 : 16:19)
BigJohnD   
Sun Jul 24 2011, 05:49pm

Member No: #82
Biohead wrote ...

Yes, the new models with LEDs next to the foglight are DRLs. Our C4 ECU is not designed for DRLs and so there is nothing for DRLs to plug into. You can't try to add them from a new car.

That's correct. There's an option for the driver to switch them on and off in the Menu configuration, so Lexia's not needed.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member