or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Paint default - check before the 3 years is up !

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
andyf   
Sat Dec 18 2010, 01:06pm
Member No: #2014
Hi all,

Luckily I washed our Jan 2008 2.0L HDI EGS Exclusive last Sunday.. first time in quite a long long time. To my surprise on the drivers side (french side!mdriv) at the base of windscreen upright were two spots of corrosion. One is 1cm in diameter and the other 2cm in diameter. Of course being an aluminum car this was not expected. Probably undercoat over a welding burn.

Anyway; I took it to our garage yesterday and the bodywork person said..."Sorry, the cars more than two years old". I said would you like me to show the guarantee that is in the manual - clearly marked three years for a private vehicle. Anyway, he has take photos of the car, rego papers, distance driven etc etc; and sent it to Citröen to get approval to do the work under guarantee.

Moral to the story....Check all your paint work before the three years is up.

Interesting to see in the handbook that the first corrosion inspection is due at 4 years
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Dec 19 2010, 02:12am

Member No: #1
We have had this one before. Surface defects are covered within the warranty period but for the 'corrosion' one to the bodywork only applies if it's actual 'corrosion' i.e. rusting from under the paint, outward.

As aluminium can't rust, it's a paint defect only covered by the main warranty.

The 'base of the windscreen uprights' is the 'A' pillars which are steel, not aluminium.

Only a few parts of the C4 are aluminium or plastic. the main structure is steel.

The bonnet itself (and the VTS spoiler) is one area where there have been 'paint defects' with the paint bubbling due to an issue in the pre painting cleaning process and has been well covered before.

Inside the warranty period it's covered, some have been re painted, some replaced.
andyf   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 11:29am
Well Dave....thanks for saying we have had this one before! I have not seen a single topic elsewhere.

Well we got pour response today. PAINT DEFECT NOT COVERED.

Apparently these cover pieces on the side of the windscreen are not covered by the paint guarantee. Next thing will be that the bonnet is not covered either!

Oh well this will be the last Citroen I buy if this is the way they treat their customers. 30000€ to be told that the car is covered for paint defects for 3 years yet we will be the the ones when the time comes to say which parts.

Registered letter being sent this week...I'm well [%*^#@!] off.

C4 GP Exclusive   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 12:57pm

Member No: #165
Have you had the car since new?
If yes, then they are well out of order here and you should send photos to Citroen and demand rectification free of charge.
If you haven't had the car since new it might have been damaged and repaired poorly.
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 02:19pm

Member No: #1
andyf wrote ...

Well Dave....thanks for saying we have had this one before! I have not seen a single topic elsewhere.

You're miss reading my post. What I said was that we have had the discussion on paint defects before and I clarified the outcome that others have had on various areas

That's not a 'cover' in your images, or the aluminium bonnet or plastic wings, it's the actual 'A' Pillar which is made of steel and from that image, the bubbling is coming from under the paint, not external damage

But it could be from a poor quality repair made previously.

As for no other posts on the subject, well put 'bubbling' in the search box and you get these threads: - Click Here -

All said and done, it won't cost a fortune to put right anyway for what in reality is a minor issue.
andyf   
Tue Mar 01 2011, 01:26pm
I am one happy C4 owner !!

Citroen after sales service called today saying that they had contacted our garage and the paint default will be repaired under guarantee.

The piece is actually a cover which does attache to the 'A' pillar.
C4 GP Exclusive   
Tue Mar 01 2011, 03:21pm

Member No: #165
Common sense has prevailed.......there's hope yet!
Mark Smith   
Sat Apr 23 2011, 11:33am
Member No: #1230
I have exactly the same issue in the same place - off to see Citroen next week
Mark Smith   
Wed May 04 2011, 07:37am
Member No: #1230
Well the garage says it wasn't covered under the three year warranty as the car was three and a half years old (fair enough) as stated above it isn't covered under corrosion warranty as it is a "paint defect".

I have rung Citroen UK they said it wasn't covered under my extended five year warranty at it was a paint defect. They are prepared to offer a contribution but can't state what that will be until they have spoken to the garage... (!)

I suggested to them that as they accept that this is a paint defect surely they expect their pain to adhere to a car for more that three years - they didn't reply.

With an A pillar that looks like the bottom of a 70's Alfa Romeo door I do rather think I have bought my last Citroen.
dfgp2011   
Tue May 19 2015, 05:58am
Member No: #23078
My wife's GP has this issue too.
It's a 2011 so out of warranty.

I'm wondering if someone can confirm what this panel is made of. For me it seems like plastic but I see alu and steel mentioned here...

I would get someone to sort and repaint.

Can it be removed easily from the car so I don't have to leave them the car or should I get a replacement?

Does the panel have a purpose if I remove it (keep water out or hold stuff in?)
ally21   
Sun Jun 14 2015, 05:25am
Member No: #13478
This is a cover, mine's is aluminium, and corroding, plastic should not corrode. It is listed as a windscreen moulding in this download: - Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member