or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Low MPG and long warm-up time - C4 2.0 HDi EGS

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Londoner100   
Sat Nov 27 2010, 01:00pm
Member No: #13942
Hi all, have had my C4 2.0 HDi EGS since May and been very pleased with it. In the last month every now and again in the morning it sometimes sounds as it is running on three cylinders on tick over. The car seems to me to take an age to get any where near warming up, I travel 10 mile to work every day and even when I get there it is still blowing out only mildly warm air.

The average MPG has gone from 42 to 32 over a tank of fuel, I always fill with the same brand. Today I had my car booked in at the garage for them to have a look at it, got up early so as to be there for eight o'clock, had a lovely person on reception book the car in and sort out my courtesy car. I was told to bring the car back before twelve and on the way there received a phone call to say my car was ready.

When I got there I was told that the Technician had been out in the car three times and had reported that the car ran smoothly. I asked about the other faults and was told that they did not know about these and would not have even looked in to these as they can only do that during the week and they would need the car for two days. Why not tell me this before!

Rant over and feel much better now, any advice guys?

all the best Ian
wozza   
Sat Nov 27 2010, 01:30pm

Member No: #2
Quick search of the site would have turned up the cold weather shield. £25 from your dealer. Designed mainly for the diesels as the offer MPG loss during cold weather and take longer to heat up. The tech was right the car probably is running as normal.

The noise will just be because recently it has been very cold. Hence the glow plug lights being on when you likely go to start it now.
BigJohnD   
Sat Nov 27 2010, 01:47pm

Member No: #82
Yup, get that winter grille on!
Londoner100   
Sat Nov 27 2010, 02:37pm
I will try it when it turns up, I went to the parts desk today and was greeted with a blank look. In the end I went to the dealers internet cafe and searched on here for the part number. I did not think that I would lose 10 mpg in the cold weather though.

As I wrote earlier the car take an extremely long time to warm up and thinking back, in the summer I never had the fan come on. In your experience how long do your cars take to warm up?

Ian
BigJohnD   
Sat Nov 27 2010, 03:49pm

Londoner100 wrote ...

In your experience how long do your cars take to warm up?

This refers to my 16.HDi VTR+:

In summer, it takes 3-4 miles to reach operating temperature. Fuel consumption is typically 55+ mpg.

In winter, at these temperatures, without the winter grille, it can take around 7-10 miles for the temp gauge to reach a steady reading. Fuel consumption is typically 48/49mpg.

Put the winter grille on, and hot air is blowing out within 300-400m. Operating temperature is reached in around 5 miles. Fuel consumption is typically 52/53 mpg.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 Stubblechops (28 Nov 2010 : 14:57)
Bart   
Sun Nov 28 2010, 05:17am
Member No: #12823
Can you tell me more about this Cold Weather Shield,, i have a C4GP Exc , new. I noticed yesterday in this cold weather that the car took longer to get warm.. Is it worth buying one of these, and do you leave them on all the time? Thanks . Bart....
trev h   
Sun Nov 28 2010, 05:28am
Member No: #10864
Bart. £25 from dealers, warms the car up quicker, but only stays on below 10 degrees, you'll need it with that coastal wind. LOL
trevor.
BigJohnD   
Sun Nov 28 2010, 06:41am

Bart wrote ...

Is it worth buying one of these, and do you leave them on all the time?

Yes, it's worth buying one, essential IMO for diesels. It's only used below 10°C, so take it off when spring is arriving.

Details:
7429.F4 GRILLE SCREEN (for C4GP) is £21.81 + VAT @ 17½% = £25.63

Discount for Premier Members, though this needs to be offset against delivery charges.
Londoner100   
Sun Nov 28 2010, 10:33am
Thanks for the replies, my rant earlier was more about the dealers lack of communication. I went with what I thought were three problems and they only looked at one of them. Hopefully the cold weather shield will solve everything.

Ian
Bart   
Sun Nov 28 2010, 02:48pm
Member No: #12823
Thanks, i will order one Bart....
Merlin   
Sun Nov 28 2010, 03:52pm
OH dear now you have set me off

I have had mine since July, done 3000 miles, recorded every ltr of fuel and it equates to 40mpg and I am a steady driver.
My old car 55 plate mondeo estate ghia x 2l full spec, would return 45mpg and 55mpg on a run.

I have this car through mobility its easier for my wife to get in and out being higher, thats the good point

The bad points in my opinion are

Excessive road noise
Poor fuel consumption
Always seems to be in the wrong gear in automatic, I mostly change up the gears
Wind screen lovely view, to hot when driving towards the sun in summer
Takes for ever to warm up in winter
Biggest mistake I ever made

Can't wait till July 2013

BigJohnD   
Sun Nov 28 2010, 05:15pm

Sorry to hear you're not happy, but winter fuel consumption can be reduced by fitting the snow guard grille screen.

Have you had the gear change checked by the dealer if it's not working as you think it should?
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Nov 29 2010, 01:43am

Member No: #1
BigJohnD wrote ...

Have you had the gear change checked by the dealer if it's not working as you think it should?

Sounds like the gearbox needs a software update or re calibrating
Londoner100   
Mon Nov 29 2010, 11:46am
Just been told my screen is on back order and wont be here till at least the 10th. Has any one got a picture of theirs fitted, as I could make one till mine turns up?

Ian
HoneyMonster   
Mon Nov 29 2010, 01:38pm
Member No: #1443
Hi there, here is a pic one I made out of piece of lino before I got a genuine one. I also have GP 2.0 HDi Exclusive at the moment short runs 10 miles each way I am averaging 41 mpg that is with winter tyres on as well.

1 User said Thank You to HoneyMonster for this Post :
  (10 Sep 2011 : 01:28)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member