or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Servicing

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Stringy   
Tue Nov 16 2010, 04:18pm
hi all,

I'm in a quandary and need your help;

I bought a Picasso 5 seat three weeks ago from Benfield Renault in Newcastle.
They offer a Benfield serviceing plan, it costs £15 per month and for that I get a free MOT and standard service. It covers all parts and labour, the only exception being tyres, brake pads and wipers.

So, that should be £180 per year (I commit for 3 years - 0% APR)
If I were to get a standard service without the above deal, it would cost me £199 excluding the cost on the MOT so already the £15 per month seems like a good deal.

But, my only concern is that Benfield Renault is not a main Citroen dealer. They have assured me that only genuine Citroen parts will be used (I will get this in writing if I go ahead with it) but when I asked if they have the ability to hook the car up to a Citroen diagnostic computer for updates fault finding etc, they said have a diagnostic computer which they use but as it's not a specific Citroen computer, so it can't do everything.

So, what do you think? Is it a good deal?

Thank you in advance

Mick
Stringy   
Tue Nov 16 2010, 04:24pm
Sorry, forgot to mention, its on a 57 plate with 20k on the clock.

Cheers
wozza   
Tue Nov 16 2010, 05:45pm

Member No: #2
Not sure what service charges are around your area. However my local Citroen dealer wanted £149 to service the VTS. With the MOT being £35 at my local place. They do it cheaper than normal for some reason, guy in there also knows me quite well and can accommodate the lowered car which helps.

So if you shop around might not be much different price wise. Also being a Renault dealer will they have access to Lexia to do the software updates etc? Like a main dealer will?
Stringy   
Tue Nov 16 2010, 05:46pm
Hi,
No, they don't have Lexia
BigJohnD   
Tue Nov 16 2010, 05:54pm

Member No: #82
Personally I'd avoid paying any money in advance to a garage on a direct debit, whatever they say. Open a building society account and put the £15 a month into that, and collect the interest for yourself.

And if your car's still under Citroën UK's warranty, make things easier for yourself and don't have any third party involvement from a non-Citroën garage.

And discounted or even free MOTs are not hard to find.
Stringy   
Tue Nov 16 2010, 06:50pm
Thanks for the advice.
I think the main dealer might be the way to go.
Rich_Eason   
Wed Nov 17 2010, 01:58am

Member No: #90
For piece of mind I would stick to using Citroen garages for the remaining duration of the warenty.

Even though they have commited themselves by saying that they will use Citroen parts, I think it will create more hassle in the (unlikely!) event of having to take the car in for warenty work. (Edit just realised John said somehting similar!).

Also, I would be hesitant bumping money into a "promotion" coffers in this day in age. They may very well be finacially stable, however I'd rather I knew where the money is and can be retireved if need be. If they were to go bump and you'd paid the money in, what happens to the service plan (can you take it elsewhere?) and do you get your money back?
Stringy   
Wed Nov 17 2010, 02:40pm
h,
Cheers for the advice all.
I popped into my local dealer today. They charge £140 for a standard service and I think he said £240 for a major service.

So I'm going to stick to the Citroen dealer.

I need to check my paperwork regarding a Citroen warranty. I presumed as it's second hand, any warranty from Citroen will have stopped.
wozza   
Wed Nov 17 2010, 03:03pm

Member No: #2
If it is still under 3 years old the warranty still applies. Doesn't matter if you are the 2nd owner etc.
BigJohnD   
Wed Nov 17 2010, 03:11pm

Stringy wrote ...

I need to check my paperwork regarding a Citroen warranty. I presumed as it's second hand, any warranty from Citroen will have stopped.

The Citroën dealer will put your VIN into the computer and all the details, like the car's date of first registration, will appear. There'll be no disputing the end of the warranty. And if they have your address linked to it, they might even send you an MOT reminder!
Stringy   
Wed Nov 17 2010, 03:28pm
Wozza - it's just turned 3 years old.

Cheers BigJohnD
Rich_Eason   
Thu Nov 18 2010, 02:35am

Member No: #90
In which case then your warranty (indicated in your sales terms e.g. receipt) will be with the garage you bought it from.

I would hazard a guess that this would be 12m but depends on what was offered as part of the sale.
BigJohnD   
Thu Nov 18 2010, 04:45am

Stringy wrote ...

it's just turned 3 years old.

Rich_Eason wrote ...

In which case then your warranty (indicated in your sales terms e.g. receipt) will be with the garage you bought it from.

And I'll still not be paying them up front for future servicing.
shari   
Wed Jun 08 2011, 09:27am
Hi I'm totally lost, my C4 went into crawl mode and I don't know why, can you help please?
BigJohnD   
Wed Jun 08 2011, 11:09am

Diesel or petrol? Which engine and gearbox?
Is your car still under warranty, i.e. less than 3 years old?
What have you done so far? Called the AA or taken the car into your local Citroën dealer?
Have you had any work done on the car recently? Is it due for a service soon?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member